View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I feed Ollie from raised bowls as I also heard this was better for dogs who can suffer from bloat,I think it is more comfortable for them too.Our breeder told us that there is no real reason why bloat occurs some dogs will get it others won't she also said it doesn't seem to matter about feeding routines she has known peoples dogs to get bloat when exercised straight after feeding and others who have been cautious and not exercised immediately after feeding have still had problems.I do not exercise straight after feeding and am always worried about bloat but I think you can only do your best.I have mentioned before in another thread we keep a bottle of Gaviscon in our cupboard as advised by breeder it gives them vital minutes while on way to the vets just a tsp.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
There are few things one can be 100% about of course but I found these remarks interesting .

However, the study did reveal an increased risk of bloat associated with things such as restricting exercise before and alter eating, restricting water before and after eating, giving preventive medications, moistening the food and raising the bowl’s height. These findings were of great interest to Glickman because, until now, these measures commonly were thought to be preventive

The study mentioned in the article I posted above seemed to be quite comprehensive in that it was based on a sizable number of dogs belonging to a lot of different breeds.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
So what's the answer in that case Mini, not to bother taking any precautions at all? To me that doesn't make much sense, personally I wouldn't want to run around on a full stomach so I avoid it with my dogs, also I like to be comfortable when eating so again I do the same for my dogs.
My OH lost a dog to bloat and I couldn't possibly show him that report as it makes it look as though he did everything wrong even though he was doing everything the vets told him and took every precaution possible.
I think we have to do what we feel comfortable with and accept that some dogs will be more susceptible than others regardless of how careful we are.

I should add the dog did have the surgery, but still died of Torsion some time later at the vets.
Meg
Supervisor

05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
So what's the answer in that case Mini, not to bother taking any precautions at all? .
Hi Trouble as I said above...

I don't really know if elevating bowls is good or bad I have read a lot from people proposing both options.
The causes of bloat are not completely understood, I think maybe one should look at the many suspected causes of bloat then to draw conclusions as to which measures could logically have an affect on these causes
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I accept that Mini but sometimes conflicting information makes it impossible to know what to do for the best, so for me I will have to follow my instincts and hope to never repeat the tragedy of my OH's Leonberger Pharoah.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Evie, I may be wrong (and no doubt others will confirm or otherwise), but I had understood that the chances of a whippetx getting bloat would be very,very small. If this is the case, it would seem sensible just for you to continue feeding Willow whatever way is most comfortablel for her.
Thanks Hali. I will keep feeding her from the raised bowls since it is more comfortable for her (and slows down Archies attempts to eat her dinner as well as his own).

It's an interesting article, but does kind of leave us up in the air for what is and isn't good preventative measures.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of exercise close to feeding. I would be wary of dogs gulping down alot of water after feeds as well (think of all that undigested food being washed down into the gut).

Wether raised bowls are of benifit or detrament in preventing bloat - I'm undecided.
Meg
Supervisor

05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I accept that Mini but sometimes conflicting information makes it impossible to know what to do for the best, so for me I will have to follow my instincts and hope to never repeat the tragedy of my OH's Leonberger Pharoah.
Ok Trouble so lets look at what are thought to be some causes or risk factors of bloat (GDVC) .
These seem to be many and varied, here are a few ...
1)Increased age (over 7 years)
2)Body conformation (narrow deep chested breeds like Setters and deep narrow abdomens like Danes )
3)Stress
4)Excess gas in the stomach
5)Being predisposed through hereditary factors
6)Lax gastric ligaments (bulky cereal diets may predispose to this)
7)Swallowing air during eating.
8 )Consuming large amounts of water after food .
9)Obesity
Logic tells me ....
A dog having eaten a large meal of dehydrated food would be likely to drink large amounts of water, if you add water to dried food and it swells so one can assume it swells in the dogs stomach too, this could result in 6)lax gastric ligaments. Conclusion, it is preferable to feed two smaller meals and not allow the dog to gulp large amounts of water at one time so fill the water bowl with little and often but don't restrict the water..
A dog which has a large amount of exercise either preceding or after a meal could be 3) stressed/excited , therefore I would avoid exercising at these times as a precaution even more so if the dog is of susceptible breed and overweight.

These are just two examples of reading the causes/risk factors and applying logic (or common sense).

As to the bowl I really can't see a logical reason to raise it but if you feel happy doing so fine, if you are less stressed your dog will be too .
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
As to the bowl I really can't see a logical reason to raise it but if you feel happy doing so fine, if you are less stressed your dog will be too .

To me, the logical reason to raise a bowl is comfort!
I don't like to stand up and eat from the table, it's easier, and more comfortable to sit down, and have the food closer - I think it's same for the dog.
It's a long way to bend the neck down from some dogs height!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
It's an interesting subject and both sides are valid. Personallly I feed by dogs in raised bowls. Alot of friends who have larger breeds such as Akitas and Leonbergers feed in raised bowls. I just think it's more comfortable for the dog as the food is travelling along and down into the stomach rather than having an uphill journey.
However I know just as many people who feed their dogs on the floor. In the wild they feed off the floor too as do most four legged creatures.
I think just do what you prefer to do and follow your own thinking as it's very much a personal choice in this case.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I agree with what you say mini but is that what it says in the quote or am I just being dense

However, the study did reveal an increased risk of bloat associated with things such as restricting exercise before and alter eating, restricting water before and after eating, giving preventive medications, moistening the food and raising the bowl’s height. These findings were of great interest to Glickman because, until now, these measures commonly were thought to be preventive

Does that not say the risk is increased with restricting exercise before and after meals, restricting water, moistening the food. All the things most people have been advised to do.
Sometimes you just can't do right for doing wrong
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >