Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Jenny's idea of getting different bowls might be worth trying, and perhaps cutting down on the treats so that she has to work harder for them (i.e save them for the downs only).

I would also mention it to the vet just in case there is some underlying issue (might be joint problems or something).

I would certainly not let her think the undesired behaviour is ok... and would issue a firm and long no to let her know, but by the sound of it it seems like she needs a reminder that she should respect you - so back to basics does indeed sound like a good idea.
The thing is Azz, if the behaviour is linked to problems re epilepsy etc it's not a good idea to be telling the dog off, because it' s not about respect here, in fact very rarely if ever is any dog problem about "respect" - sorry, not trying to be annoying here but I do think we have to be careful to always be fair .

Wys
x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
How about putting some of her food in several bowls spread well apart and then making a game of approaching/picking an empty one up whilst throwing some more food into the others. So that she sees you approaching the bowl as her getting more food somewhere else?

Or simply leaving her bowl alone until she is not interested or she is outside etc?
I only have one bowl for Pereg and there is only one place it can be put. My kitchen is tiny and once the bowl is down it has to stay where it is or else I cannot get past. Even if I had half a dozen bowls there is nowhere to put them and as she does not have kibble, throwing food into different bowls is not possible.

My kitchen is so small that that there is barely enough room for me to get into it in the first place and I have to reverse out as it is too narrow for me to turn my chair round in it.

Leaving her bowl until she is not interested is easy but it means I then have to go back to pick it up to wash it and put it away, but usually by the time I have washed and put all her food preparation stuff away she has finished eating, therefore it is easier for me to pick up her bowl, wash it and put it away while I am still in the kitchen.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Leaving her bowl until she is not interested is easy but it means I then have to go back to pick it up to wash it and put it away, but usually by the time I have washed and put all her food preparation stuff away she has finished eating, therefore it is easier for me to pick up her bowl, wash it and put it away while I am still in the kitchen.
I would try that anyway, because you don't really want her to be practising her unacceptable behaviour. Is it time wise impossible for you to leave her bowl until she is not interested? Because at the moment she is probably watching/anticipating your every move, possibly getting herself wound up and ready to guard. Instead of relaxing...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2013, 08:49 AM
How things change in just one day! Yesterday I sat looking at her while she was eating and once she had decided she could not find any more particles of food either in the bowl, on the outside of it, or on the newspaper on the floor on which I put the bowl, she looked at me and I said "Pereg, may I have your bowl now please?" [yes, I talk to her!] - and she sat down and let me pick it up. No treat, nothing!

We had a few training sessions and it got to the state when I said "Pereg - lesson time" she instantly went into a Down even before I had gotten the treats jar from the shelf!

She does not go into a flat belly down but goes down on her side - no idea why but she has always done that, and yet when she watches me prepare her first meal she lies down flat on her belly.

By the evening she was only getting a treat every three or four Downs, and none for Up, and she will obey Stay when she is down. Only one curled lip and the beginning of The Look as well.

So either she has had a couple of days of feeling a bit strange [I actually thought she might have a GM brewing] or she just needed a very short period of back to basics.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2