Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Agree, to tell you the truth I am wondering why you have decided to get another dog when your own is only 4 months old?
We got another dog because we rescued him from a dogs home. We were told by a friend he was there. He was stressed out, not eating. We can give him a good life that he deserves. I have a lot of connections with huskys and owners and he can go on to do caniX and bikejorring. Also companionship for our other dog.
Im not some idiot who thought oooohhh yeah another puppy how cute. I want to give him the best forever home I possibly can.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by MarleynLokisMum View Post
We got another dog because we rescued him from a dogs home. We were told by a friend he was there. He was stressed out, not eating. We can give him a good life that he deserves. I have a lot of connections with huskys and owners and he can go on to do caniX and bikejorring. Also companionship for our other dog.
Im not some idiot who thought oooohhh yeah another puppy how cute. I want to give him the best forever home I possibly can.
I understand you "rescued" him, I got that from your original post!

And I can't see where anyone has accused you of being some idiot some idiot who thought oooohhh yeah another puppy how cute?

I voiced a query, as you did via your post asking for help!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
sibes are addictive ! lol

i would say that manners with the new guy is even more essential imo as your pup will look up to and learn from him..the good and the bad

saying that for fear of being corrected lol.. doesnt sound like your new 'teenager' did wrong..and remember he is a 'teenager' and not a poor wee rescue
MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:46 PM

And I can't see where anyone has accused you of being some idiot some idiot who thought oooohhh yeah another puppy how cute?

I didnt understand the need for your question? It was the way you put across why did I get another when my dog is only young. Then you go on to roll your eyes.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 02:56 PM

is that your usual 'egoless' sensitive way of giving advice in play their again, SB
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
is that your usual 'egoless' sensitive way of giving advice in play their again, SB

SB - you need to remember this is a new member not used
to the way some of the replies on here are
made/put. OP came on asking for opinions & help, lets do just that - nicely
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi im new here. I would like some advice please.

Yesterday I brought home a 12 month old siberian husky from Manchester dogs home (Loki). He is quite emaciated, weighing 18.2kg at 12 months old.*
We have a 4 month old Siberian husky (Marley) who we have had from a tiny pup. We took our 4 month old with us to see how they got along and they were great.*
We brought Loki home and he and Marley are fine in the house, Loki is protective of his food but thats to be expected as he probably doesnt think he will be getting another meal he is so thin.*

Anyway like I say they are fine in the house but Loki pinned Marley in the garden and has punctured his chin. When Loki was out there lying down, Marley tried coming out of the door and Loki again went to attack him.*
He seems very dominant in the garden and seems to think thats his area. Its making Marley very wary and scared to go out.

Can anybody help with this as I dont want to give up on Loki, I want him to be part of our 'pack' but I dont want poor Marley being attacked or scared of being in his garden.*
Thankyou
Hi & welcome to Dogsey

My feeling is that for the next few *weeks give your new boy as much space as possible. It wont be easy with a young pup, as he will natually want to play & rough/tumble with his new pal

A house/garden line is a good idea, however when in garden i would leave (just for time being) pup inside. Concentrate on Loki in the garden. Treat when good, encourage otherwise. Young puppies demand a lot of attention however Loki will also need a lot of attention. I think this is what SB was trying to get across in a rather blunt manner.

We dont know what happened to Loki to get him in the state he is however he no doubt is very unsure, possibly frightened, knows no routines, does not know you & has a pesky pup wanting to clambour & play fight with him, it will take time.

So you need to sit & take a deep breath - i would invest in a dog gate in meantime so that both boys can have time apart but still see each other. I would feed seperately for the time being.*

You will need to give Loki about 3 plus weeks before you see his character come through & he begins to settle. He needs firm gentle handling with lots of reassurance.*

You might find it easier if one of you were to concentrate on the pup & other with Loki. Remember whatever you do do, it needs to be consistent & fair to both dogs. At the moment Loki needs to feel safe so give him the space. *You also need to keep pup safe as he hasnt much sense yet. *

You will need to be organised when taking one out to garden & keeping other in but once you set a routine it will become easier & its only until Loki settles & then you can slowly reintroduce them both - on lines (pup too) to the garden. Line will stop pup being too boisterous & Loki wont feel so strange or threatened

Above all dont expect too much from Loki - forget the dominance idea - work on getting him settled & feeling safe & secure
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
SB - you need to remember this is a new member not used
to the way some of the replies on here are
made/put. OP came on asking for opinions & help, lets do just that - nicely
for the third time today, exackery
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I didnt understand the need for your question? It was the way you put across why did I get another when my dog is only young. Then you go on to roll your eyes.
I have been following this thread, and have noticed that you haven't posted since having a couple of rather aggressive replies, other than one of puzzlement

Please don't be put off this site........there are many people here with invaluable advice, and also a shoulder to cry on when it all gets a bit much! Some people may sound as if they are getting at you - I prefer to believe that they are just lacking in social skills and actually have your best interests at heart.!!!
MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I have been following this thread, and have noticed that you haven't posted since having a couple of rather aggressive replies, other than one of puzzlement

Please don't be put off this site........there are many people here with invaluable advice, and also a shoulder to cry on when it all gets a bit much! Some people may sound as if they are getting at you - I prefer to believe that they are just lacking in social skills and actually have your best interests at heart.!!!
Thankyou, no I havent been put off, just busy walking the dogs. feeding dogs and kids ect.....
I also have children, one of whom is in a wheelchair so I dont get much free time.
Thankyou all for your replies, I will continue to plod on. Im sure he will soon settle. We have had no more cafuffles today and they were even running around together on the field (on their 30ft leads of course) before and loving it.

Its going to take time but he wont be going anywhere and I wont be giving up on him. thankyou again to the people who gave me great advice
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2