Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Shona,
Marley would walk passed cat, dog, people before the incident with the staffie, the lungeing and snarling more or less came on straight after. I used to let her off on the park to play with her mates and then she stated bullying the little dogs, westie type, but is still ok with labs, collies etc. as soon as they bark she starts trying to toss them in the air. It is quite distressing liitl d
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by liitl d View Post
Hi Shona,
Marley would walk passed cat, dog, people before the incident with the staffie, the lungeing and snarling more or less came on straight after. I used to let her off on the park to play with her mates and then she stated bullying the little dogs, westie type, but is still ok with labs, collies etc. as soon as they bark she starts trying to toss them in the air. It is quite distressing liitl d
Do you have a good trainer in the area that could come with you and help her interact with dogs / or a training club that can deal with dogs who have been through similar issues as marley has? it sounds like you really need someone else there to help with her,
is she ok with larger dogs?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by liitl d View Post
Hi Hannahcb
Its horrible isnt it, you work really hard to to make your dog happy and friendly and then someone who knows their dog has issues lets their dog off and it attacks yours and undoes all your good work. People who know Marley cant believe the difference in her. She is walking really well on lead until she sees another dog. I have managed to get her to walk passed some dogs ok and her old friends she just sniffs them as usual, but a stranger she lets them sniff her and then when you least expect it she turns into a tazmainian devil. I just keep chipping away at it, but get fed up of beeing the woman who got a dog she cant controll and have been told by one idiot, that he hates that type of dog and that they should all be put down. I bet he doesnt even know what type she is and that they are one of the friendliest breads. Thanks for support its nice to know some people understand x liitl d
Hi there, I have one exactly the same, was attacked by a roaming staffy (no owner in sight!) as a pup and is a nightmare with strange dogs 'til she gets to know them and she's coming up 3 now, she's a lot better and still improving but still has her issues. Hope you manage to sort something for Marley.
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Random, thanks for reply, she is getting a little better and I am trying to be more calm.
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Shona, she seems not to bad with larger dogs as they dont seem to bark the same. I am not sure about classes in local area I will have to look into that, I just assumed that they would not let us attend because she would be dissruptive. I have had a dog phycologist to see Marley and we are seeing improvements, but I think you are right I need for there to be other dogs there who are calm so that she sees that most dogs are ok. It is such a shame as for eighteen months she was great with other dogs and loved playing with them off lead. I am nervous to let her off now as she wont come bac if there is another dog she doesnt know Liitl d
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2008, 03:48 PM
It really depends on the club/trainer and I guess how steady the dogs attending training there are,. I would think they would want to see marley out with the club to begin with just to see how bad her problem is, dont feel to downhearted about it, I often bring problem dogs into the club, I guess im lucky I have a good advanced class with very steady dogs with allows me to take on problem dogs within class situations,
x I suggest you call around the diff trainers and see what kind of response you get from them, you may get lucky,, fingers crossed x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Hope you find a club who can help. When I had a dog who growled & lunged when on the lead we went through the classes at club in reverse, started with the top group who were all advanced enough to ignore his behaviour & only moved into our correct group when he was much steadier.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Hope you find a club who can help. When I had a dog who growled & lunged when on the lead we went through the classes at club in reverse, started with the top group who were all advanced enough to ignore his behaviour & only moved into our correct group when he was much steadier.
yup sue thats kinda how it works with me, with some luck there will be a club suitable for marley.
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi all, thanks to weveryone all advice welcome and really usefull. I know its a little step but this morning Marley walked passed a black lab on a lead and never growled or lunged or stopped. I kept her close to my side telling her to heal and as we got close told her to walk on. I was delighted as it was a stranger to her. Its a start I think some of the consistency is paying off Liitl d
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2