View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Rushing head and jaffa tomatoes...do you think people will be able to tell we were all typing late at night?!!!!

It does sound like the command has gone a bit pear shaped. Try a total retraining from scratch to a new command.

If you start clicker training again take it back to basics, total basics, about 3 5 mins sesions a day. Click reward click reward click reward....like taking a photo of the behaviour at the perfect moment with a camera (as it was described to my son)...the click gets a reward even if you got it wrong. Start with a sit...then a down and slowly work it up. Once you get the hang of it it is fantastic for teaching a new behaviour. You can see Cosmo looking at me when I clickthe right thing when we're doing something new as if to say 'ahhhhhhhhhhh thats what you wanted.'
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks A, I might try that, and I agree, I need a new word with a new association

Also pleased that the title has been kindly changed and you're right, I think everyone must have known we were all up late
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Thanks A, I might try that, and I agree, I need a new word with a new association

Also pleased that the title has been kindly changed and you're right, I think everyone must have known we were all up late
The others beat me to it...I would try for now walking instead of runing with her.

i always use (or did when I showed) the command.."trot on" old habits die hard... it comes from working my horses
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The others beat me to it...I would try for now walking instead of runing with her.

i always use (or did when I showed) the command.."trot on" old habits die hard... it comes from working my horses
Funny that, because I used that to begin with, as I was used to it with horses too, and had to get myself out of the habit

Now I have a new word to think of
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2008, 12:16 AM
If you walk with her and teach 'walk,' then go fast and say 'steady,' then jog and teach 'trot/jog on,' (or whatever command words you use) you can then have THREE different paces to work on which might help her realise how fast the middle one is supposed to be.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
If you walk with her and teach 'walk,' then go fast and say 'steady,' then jog and teach 'trot/jog on,' (or whatever command words you use) you can then have THREE different paces to work on which might help her realise how fast the middle one is supposed to be.
SHe knows 'walk' and the 'steady' was what I used before, which now seems to indicate 'RUN' to her, and she does have a run command which is 'Hike' or 'hike on' which we use for training or working, so she already has three speeds, she's just getting confused over the command on the middle speed I think
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2008, 12:36 AM
LOL Well she's not alone - so am I!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I havent read all the post so sorry if im going over whats already been said,,

you could try a clicker,, eg train her to follow a target stick,,, or if she will let you stand in the middle with a long line and just run circles round you great same thing,,, then have her going round,,,,when she is trotting at the right pace, click treat,,, give the command to trot,, she will soon get the idea and know what trot is,, {all of the above assuming you use clickers and the dog understands them} x
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks hun, have used a clicker before but was disastrous Have taken everything on board though, thinking of a new word, that I can also use in the ring, without sounding like a nutter, and will be working on it
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2