Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
we got to a puppy class every sunday and as soon as she steps out the car she is as good as gold The trainers had never seen a northern inuit before and kept reffering to her as a gsd, I got them some info on the breed and they suggested taking her to the vet for some advice.
I thought this was a bit extreme but i am i wrong?
Personally I do think taking her to the vets would be a bit pointless, unless you feel she's ill in some way?

Like people have said, she's just being a stroppy teenager, keep going with the training and you'll get there in the end.

You might not have any hair left, but you'll get there!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
lol, well she's not ill and its so nice to get some info off you all, sometimes i just struggle with it all and it's nice to no that some of you have had some experience in all this.
Thanks very much x
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
They can be very teenage at this age. They tend to improve around 12 months. Just stick with it. Time out for a minute in another room works as it makes them calm down and learn what they can't get away with.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
You might have your angel back when she is about 3! They take a long time to mature.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Before Takara was spayed she would have PMT for about 3 months before a season!! Especially before her first.

Also, your pup is at an age where she will be pushing things just to see exactly where the boundaries lie!

Do you clicker train at all? With regards to the training sessions I'd suggest maybe using a clicker as these make training more interesting, more fun and even a bit easier for dogs and think about what your dog wants. There's no point training using food or a toy when your dog wants to chase a leaf!

I'd take her out in the garden on a lead, when she wants to go off to play, ask her for a sit and paw or whatever, when the dog performs, click and unclip the lead! Instant reward!

Work with your dog's desires as opposed to against them.
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Not my breed but I would say it's hormonal she's about the right age for her first season, Dobes from my experience can be a nightmare on the run up to there first season then have tended to settle back down a few weeks after it has finished.
Lets hope thats all it is for now and she soon settles down again

Mo and the Gang
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
im with every one else terrible teens ,our dylan deff had his moments
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-04-2008, 02:46 PM
i got a 7 mth old GSD - and shes driving everyone mad at the moment, I think its just the age and a nice bit of calm consistency will see you through and youll look back and laugh about her antics ( hopefully ) - i think a lot of dogs go through it at that age
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
hi have to agree with everyone sounds like teenager syndrome to me i think i would try a long leash for the training 20 or 30 foot one that way you will still be in control
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2