View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this news. How sad. At least she was with you in your arms when she went to the bridge. Run free little one.

Sarah
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 02:12 AM
So sorry to read this Fabi..Thoughts are with you!

Sleep peaceful, Karma!
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Thank you for all of your kind words.
All I could do yesterday is cuddle into my pillow and break my heart.

The guilt I feel is so hard to bear. I did ask the vet to be straight with us, I even told them I will make the decision because I never want my dogs to suffer and suffer she did.

The whole day and night she didn't sleep, her eyes fully opened and barely being able to blink, I had to keep petting her face just so she could close her eyes to keep her eyeballs from drying up. Her panting and breathing was painfully hard to watch, you could see her stress of trying to find a comfortable position.

When I phoned the vet, I told her all of the above and it was the vet who persuded me to keep her at home. I knew it was her time, I knew she was in pain and stressed and I knew I couldn't let her be that way. She struggled all night long and then she woke me up by lying near my face and her short quick breaths gentle passed my face. We had to carry her using a blanket and when outside she couldn't stand. I lay on the ground and she desperately tried to breath and relaxed. But it got so hard for her that finally her heart had enough of the stress and I could see she was taking a heart attack. She still struggled to breath but her body couldn't take it anymore. Karma didn't give up, her body did.

I would have never let her go through the night if the vets would talk to me as though I wasn't a stupid. They know I am a dog professional, groomer, massage therapist and trainer, for goodness sake they send me dogs all the time because of my skills as a dog handler. They just kept saying we will be able to treat her after the weekend. The best thing is that she goes home with you.

The vet should have said yes bring her back up, put her back into the oxgyen tent and then we as dog professionals/owners can talk about options. Then when I called the vet, after Karma left me, the vet wasn't surprised and it is this that is making me so angry. Yes anger is part of grieving but it anger that has a reason behind it.

So if there any vets out there, please, tell us the straight facts and what if's. We can deal with it much more readily when we are given all the facts and information, let us make decisons.

My girl, my beautiful, faithful Karma, is no longer with me and I will miss her so, so, very much. I am sorry you suffered, I am sorry you where in pain and stressed. The only comfort we have girl, we were together always.

I will miss your head leaning into me, just to give me cuddles. Go play with Fabi and Belushi, I know they were around as you passed showing you the way to Rainbow Bridge. I will see you all some day again.
I love you Karma and I will never, never forget you or stop loving you.
Mum
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I am so so sorry this has happened. At least you were there with her at the end. I know nothing of pleurisy so i have no idea if it can be cured or prevented. So sorry again for your loss x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 03:00 PM
So sorry Fabi....a very distressing experience for you from what you have written. However, she died in your arms ,in the place she knew as home.

massive hugs to you......

Run free sweet one.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh I am so sorry to read the story of her last moments with you, broke my heart xxxxx

We've had a similar thing with the vets just this week, they diagnosed Zeke with Cancer (lymphoma) but never mentioned how far along they thought he was, I presumed they didn't know till they'd ran the tests. I was very shocked and upset when I read his history attached to the Insurance claim that it was infact 'Suspected advanced Lymphoma'. How dare vets not be straight with us about our babies.

Big hugs from us all here, I am so sorry xxxxxxxx
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I respect vets don't have all the answers, but my vets are experienced vets, not first year students but 10-30 years of experience each. I am not a stupid individual, nor am I an owner who doesn't have a clue about dogs. I work with them everyday, I am studying canine anatomy, they send me referals. I don't over react, I am not a basket case, I don't scream out and cry all over the place because of my baby. I am a responsible dog owner who respects and cares for dogs.

All I am asking is the same respect I give the vet and for vets to treat me as they would like to be treated. I trust vets, as you do with your own doctor, after all they have studied 6 years to get to where they are. They have experience in different stages of different medical conditions, we owners have not. Just talk to us and give us all the information, make us aware of the signs and tell us, if you see this, this and that sign then bring her back.

I believe my vet knew my girl didn't have long, so in her mind she thought she would let me spend one more night with her. All she did was patronised me, it was not her decision to make. I would not have allowed my girl to be stressed and in so much pain for so long. If I hadn't have slept beside her on the couch, I would have walked down stairs the next morning onlt to find her gone....how would that have helped anyone?

When I called the vet the first time, action of some sort should have been taken. I speciffically asked if this was her time and my vet avoided an answer by persuding me to keep her at home. Then in the morning when I called, she was not even surprised that Karma had died, ....she knew!

I know my girl is in a better place, and our only wish is that she is indeed playing freely, pain free, at Rainbow Bridge, waiting for us to join them one day to throw the ball and give them lots of hugs and kisses.

Thank you for all your comforting words everyone. Not everyone understands what it is like to loose a family member of your pack and I know you do, your words do help.

But please vets talk to us straight and owners if your gut is telling you something, ask! And don't stop asking until you do get a straight answer. My girl taught me that.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm frankly appalled by your vet! It sounds to me like the vet didn't want to get out of bed and go back into the office. "we can treat her after the weekend!!!" SERIOUSLY! Like its her fault she got sick on a weekend!!! Serious illness doesn't wait for office hours. I am angry for you and for Karma. Don't beat yourself up. You took your vet on his word in good faith and he let you down. Shame on him!!! I think a strongly worded letter of complaint to the practice and finding a new vet might be in order. If it was me.

I work in an emergency practice and we see stuff like pleurisa all the time on weekends, holidays and in the middle of the night. And our vets don't mince words. They can't tell you what to do, but they can give you all hte information and let you make the decision. I'm so so sorry this happened to you. Makes me so mad, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Hugs to you!
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Thank you Muttzrule. It is reassurancing to know there are people like yourself out there and all hope is not lost in the profession.

I will be taking up on your advice, but, shince I have faith in the the vet who owns the practice, I think the best approach will be is to talk to her. The rest of the vet's were shocked to hear of Karma's death and full of empathy for us. They understand how much we care for dogs and understand that Karma's passing will be a great loss for us.

But it has to be said, I don't know if anyone else is feeling this way, but the more I work with vets the more I see major area's for improvement. I mean, stop pumpiing our dogs full of unnecessary drugs, take some time with the dog rather than trying to squeeze as many appointments in an hour and find out what is wrong with them. For instance, Karma suffered throughout her lifetime a skin problem, never once was she tested and all they would say is that she is alergic to wheat and gluten ....reading the forum I am now seriously looking into a BARF diet. My other dog has a cough at the moment and we had to bring him up to the vet, now he has had this cough for only one day, yet what do they do, shoot him up with antibiotics and send him home with more? What is that all about, if our Doctors wont give us antibiotics at a drop of a hat then why are vets....I think it is because of money!

I appreciate this forum because there are so many people able to give opinions, advice and share their own experience. I am learning more here that I do at qualified vets.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?
tracon01@hotmai
New Member!
Male 

08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I have just had the same experience. Though my Vet was up front I asked a hell of a lot of questions. My Black Lab, just 7yrs old, had the same symptoms. Lethargic, could not hold himself up, heavy breathing and panting. The Vet drained some fluid out from his thorax area, first sample contained pus. I was able to bring him home hoping to take him back for an ultrasound scan the next day.
Next morning, my Lab was breathing a bit easier, but stil lethargic and weak. Later in the day he began to pant heavily so I rushed him back to the Vet. This time when he drained his thorax area blood was visible. The Vet managed to get an urine sample and that showed it contained blood.
His chances were not good. After discussion with the Vet, I had my noble friend put to sleep. I could not nor would I let him continue in pain. Like you I shall miss my friend.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >