View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey Hope you enjoy the forums and also your puppy they grow up so quickly. Good luck.
Think your questions have already been answered by previous posters.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Lucky you having a new pup!

Willow is 15 weeks now, and I deal with her firmly but with lots of love. I give allowances for her puppy-stages, and the fact that she will be a little naughty, as I don't want to oppress her, but she needs to know the rules of her home. I give loads and loads of praise when she does something I have asked her to.

It is important so that they don't get confused, so keep your commands consistent. An example: if she jumps up at the sofa, I use 'no' rather than 'down', as she is being trained to lie down when the 'down' command is used. Its simple stuff but you do need to think about it. And now she knows that 'no' means 'no'. Saying that she is a cheeky devil and will often do something naughtier which makes me laugh inside.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I always aim try to find a balance depending on the personality of the puppy.

Wishing you many happy yrs together,

D xxxxxxx
jellim182
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
thanks for all your help, luckily because we're being chilled out the fireworks don't seem to be bothering her too much. yeah i am bodhi's friend, so you have 2 of us to put up with now, apparantly i bring out her bad side?!? any advice on puppy's who wee on the couch? she's done it few times now?!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by jellim182 View Post
thanks for all your help, luckily because we're being chilled out the fireworks don't seem to be bothering her too much. yeah i am bodhi's friend, so you have 2 of us to put up with now, apparantly i bring out her bad side?!? any advice on puppy's who wee on the couch? she's done it few times now?!
You DO bring out my bad side !!

Probably best to start a new thread on the weeing thing
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi Jellim your puppy will not be house trained yet and will wee anywhere because she does not know what is expected of her. You need to wash the area well or she will do it again because she will be attracted by the smell.

This is an article on house training a puppy, I did actually post the link above along with one on puppy training, perhaps you did not see it ..good luck

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but...

:smt026 :smt026 CONGRATULATIONS :smt026 :smt026

I'd say, this is the perfect time to de-sensitise your new pup to fireworks. Please, whatever you do - if the fireworks scare him, don't mollycoddle him. He will think there's something to be scared of, if you ignore his behaviour, he will wonder if there's actually anything to be scared of.

I set rules for Takara right from the start. Some believed I was being too harsh on her - family couldn't understand why rough play, like biting and jumping wasn't allowed but I was aware that she would become big very quickly and to allow it, and then not allow it would completely confuse her.

IMO, Get the rules straight from the start, be a little lenient as they have just been taken from their family and thrown into a strange environment but puppies and dogs do thrive on routine so try and get them settled -as in, get the rules straight- asap.
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
I have a 5 month old pup and he (like our other 3 dogs) is totally unphased by fireworks. Indeed we all sat on the step watching display which was very exciting.

I'm probably more scared of fireworks than them when I'm driving!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Jellim........with regards to the weeing (think Mini has probably covered that)

Washing powder is probably best to use to clean off the wee,I think the enzymes mask the smell so she won't automaticlly smell where she 'went' before and go in the same place.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:35 AM
any advice on puppy's who wee on the couch?
Put them on the armchair...?

Welcome to Dogsey
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2