View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:13 AM
we still rent and have lived in three different properties with both our big NI Dogs.

I would never move into a place and not tell them upfront and tell them later because I would worry too much.

It is hard to find places when you have dogs but because we want to be in the countryside I have found there to be more scope than in town.

Our last landlord was so impressed with how we kept the place when it came up for rent again he actually offered it back to us before looking for anyone else. He simply couldnt believe when he meet our dogs how the place was so well kept. (they are very boistrous dogs on first impression, but do settle down well)

The only thing I can honestly say suffers as a result of my dogs is the grass...To be totally honest any place we have moved out of we have left imaculate to ensure we get a good name...you wouldn't ever know two big dogs had lived there ever...and I know we leave places alot better than alot of other people do that have no pets at all.

This last place we moved into said no pets but then the place was up for a bit longer than they wanted so they said if we can get our current estate agents involved with the place we were renting at the mo to come round and check on our place and give us a good reference then it would be ok. Needless to say they came round and also couldn't believe we had to big dogs living there with us (even though they new we did of course).

You really have to sell yourself to places that might keep stating no dogs. We have to point out that it depends on the owners not the dogs as to how the place is looked after. There are owners and there are 'owners'...You have to say why you are different to what the might expect...We have to be much more vigillant than if we owned the house...I even wipe their feet on coming into the house if it is a bit rainy outside etc...Put a dust sheet down and towels for when we come back from a walk etc etc. They arn't smelly dogs, no dog odur in our house and they are generally well kept and hardly left alone, non barkers etc and we have to sell those things.

All of our neighbours have all said you wouldn't even know we had dogs next door (regards barking) the only time there is a bit of an issue is when we go out one of them has SA and howls every half hour to call us back but it isn't a problem as we just explain to the neighbours and they are fine.

It's true that some landlords would rather have no pets no smokers no kids and infact no people at all and still make an income off their property but some arn't too starchy and you just have to hunt for them!

When going to view houses my advice would be to not take the dog/s along, we never do because they will obviously be excited at new places and people and may put folk off. We explain on the phone that we have them, tell them what size and type etc and give all our selling points then if they say yes we go and view without them.

All landlords have met our dogs at some point later on but I make sure the dogs are well worn out first again just incase they make people although when the estate agents came round to spot check I took them both out for a walk and left my OH to show them around because it really mattered that they didn't see any problem. Turns out the lady that came round owned GSD's and saw our dogs pics on the wall and would have loved to have met them as she loves dogs but I though better be safe then sorry cuz they could have just as easy sent around a whimsicle person around who wouldn't have liked the dogs and would have focused more on them than how good the place was looking.

I think we have had to pay the damage deposit and another half of that on top as standard and have to sign that you will get the carpets cleaned (which is a bit irritating cuz one place we left them cleaner than they were when we moved in )

search for 'Prime Location' if you like they are where I go to look. They cover the whole country and you can do specific searches etc.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 09:17 AM
hay i did say i would tell them, of course i would, i cant even have my cat here his living with my dad and his very ill because he doesnt live with me
if i had my way id sneak him here but i cant!
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I thought about sneaking a pup in but then the agency said they would be doing regular checks on the property. I don't want to end up homeless! If i'm honest, now is the ideal time to get a pup, but when summer comes and I have to work full time, it wouldn't be so good. I'll just have to settle until I finish uni. Dammit. Some really good advice though Myschievous.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I rent too unfortunately and have found that it is better to look for private landlords in the local paper or shop window than to go through letting agents.

I can also agree to everything Sammymax said.

Good luck ... it isn't easy, but there are some dog-friendly places out there.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Me and the ex rented a flat with a "no pets" whatsit.

Well - the builders were there every day with their dogs!!

We had 2 cats, 2 rats, 2 fish tanks and a dog

They could hardly complain though as the place was being finished while we lived there, plus we left the place SPOTLESS
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 01:12 PM
It would be nice if people didn't automatically think if you have dogs you must like living in a s*** tip...lol

I have seen the state some single people leave places.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 01:22 PM
one of my ex-land lords said OK to two retriever puppies but a big NO NO to kids !

Dog - friendly landlords are out there, good luck with the search
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:00 PM
We have a few properties that we let out and we have NEVER stipulated that we don't want pets in the properties but the Letting Agents (we use a couple due to locations) all have it written into their tenancy agreements no pets, no smokers etc so I agree that it is always worth asking the landlord to condider your dog.

We've had mixed results from allowing pets, the dog owners have never been a problem but we have had quite a bit of damage from cats believe it or not. Window ledges and window seats seem to attract cat claws and when one killed my Mother-in-Laws favourite blackbird (she feeds them all the time and even calls them names!!) and left it on her doorstep (they live next door to one of our properties) we made the decision of saying no to cats.

Presently we have 4 doggy tenants and 1 rabbit tenant and no problems

Happy home hunting.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I am looking for a place to rent too with 3 dogs and some cats obviously not holding my breath!
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I am looking for a place to rent too with 3 dogs and some cats obviously not holding my breath!
My two sisters and I rent out our late parents' bungalow and we have a "long term" person in there at the moment.

We've been lucky over the years, because all three tenants have been brilliant, we don't mind dogs at all, because as I always say, I've never yet seen a dog walking around with a spray can in it's paws, spraying graffiti everywhere.

From a landlord/landlady point of view, they are looking for a nice honest tenant, who will treat the place as if it is theirs.

So all the ideas that have already been put forward above, i.e. being "upfront" abouth the dog, having references ready, offering them to put the clause in about paying for any damage, etc. etc. will show them that you are a caring, responsible person.

Hope you find somewhere soon.

Regards

Jill
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >