Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I nearly lost a dog due to an obstruction, horrific ordeal, for my poor boy and us. Not a corn cob obstruction though, I didn't even realise they were given to dogs. Why do they not show up on an xray?

you can see them sometimes, they have to be in the right place, but often they do not show up at all........ it is a matter of luck re size, angle and position.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Still do not understand why people still insist on throwing sticks for dogs!

There are so many SAFER things.

Ok now I hope CC?
Yep, its my ripley and she is fully recovered now, i wasnt even throwing it for her, she picked it up and started running with it, lost her grip, it hit the floor and 2 parts of it pierced her (you cant see from the pic, it was t bone shaped) the first part went through her neck and lodged by a vertebrae having nicked an artery, second part went straight into her mouth and pierced the soft palate.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
CC was it the same dog ??
The stick and the cob???
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
CC was it the same dog ??
The stick and the cob???
No, it was sadie my GSD that got the corn. Since she was spayed she eats absolutely anything...and i mean anything (hence the raw potato thing! )
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I throw sticks ....... But only into water and tbf there usually more like logs...if not he finds his own
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I can't believe anyone would feed a dog know corn on the cob knowingley. A lady I know nearly lost her dog to an obstruction from eating corn on the cob.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I can't believe anyone would feed a dog know corn on the cob knowingley. A lady I know nearly lost her dog to an obstruction from eating corn on the cob.
Well apparently they do.....................
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
I throw sticks ....... But only into water and tbf there usually more like logs...if not he finds his own
Anything can be dangerous I have heard of dogs choking on dog toys and balls. I throw smooth large sticks and never had a problem.

ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Anything can be dangerous I have heard of dogs choking on dog toys and balls. I throw smooth large sticks and never had a problem.

ATD x
Yet, with all the stories on the link not to mention thousands more I cannot think why you would want to take that risk with a dog that you love?

Especially when there so many safer things to throw.

Nothing in life is risk free, however if you are AWARE of the very high probability of an action causing a problem combined with the level of severity of outcome I would struggle to understand why anyone would CHOOSE to continue.

A bit like I cannot understand ANYONE NOT wearing a seatbelt.

We have already discussed balls, if they are too small then dogs do choke and die from them.

Still, it is YOUR dog.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post

ATD x
As I said,only into water and as big as they can be...would never throw on dryland...he trys to pick them up sometimes, but he has good 'leave' and 'out' commands.....and a food fetish

..sorry sb o/t
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >