Female 

06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Hope it all goes well Shanik. x
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks Ramble

Vet has put him on metacalm for a fortnight and ordered in Cortaflex for us, his spine seems fine and as I thought it is his off hind which is paining him more, in his hip joint and his stifle. Because of his age they really don't want to go down the road of sedation and further exploration which I do understand but if it becomes really necessary they will. So I am hoping the metacalm may do him more good, I need something to work!

I have calmed down a little but it so painful, isn't it, watching a dog you love in pain. Here's hoping.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh Shanik I've just seen this - my thoughts are with you, it is terribly seeing our lovely dogs suffer.
Hugs and kisses to you and Max and I hope things improve.
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you LS and best of wishes and hugs to you and Loki too, thank-you. :smt023
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shanik View Post
Thanks Ramble

Vet has put him on metacalm for a fortnight and ordered in Cortaflex for us, his spine seems fine and as I thought it is his off hind which is paining him more, in his hip joint and his stifle. Because of his age they really don't want to go down the road of sedation and further exploration which I do understand but if it becomes really necessary they will. So I am hoping the metacalm may do him more good, I need something to work!

I have calmed down a little but it so painful, isn't it, watching a dog you love in pain. Here's hoping.
Hi Shanik,
Bless him. I hope the metacam helps, i think it seems to be a question of finding something that works best for the individula dog...my boy has just been put on rimadyl after being on metacam!
I hope the metacam helps him. Is cortaflex a glucosamine based thing? We've had Biff on synflex since July.
Looks like we are both in for 2 weeks of watching and hoping.
Please let me know how your boy is doing!
Ailsa x
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Ramble, I have just searched back for this and yes Cortaflex is the glucosamine thing Just want to say that Max is like a new dog now on the Metacam, the limping and non-weight bearing has gone (although you can still see from his hip movements he is a bit wobbly) but he is managing small walks every day now and gets up fine in the mornings with no obvious pain. It has pleased me no end. Hope Biff is doing well (sorry if I have missed any posts) and Loki too for LS.

xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Aww glad he's doing well.
Biff is much better on the rimadyl ta, the vet was really pleased when he saw him last week, his neurological signs had eased and he was leaping up and down like his old lunatic self. A friend was round on Monday and played fetch with him in the kitchen for 10 minutes though and ever since, he's been pretty stiff and sore....a lesson learned I think, but he had such good fun!!!!!!!!
Have PM'd you!
Ax
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi, my heart went out to you when i read this post. My 14 month old has just been diagnosed with arthritis and hip displasia and is due an mri scan on 13 Dec.

I knew exactly what you where feeling, your heart just sinks doesn't it.

My girl is on metacalm daily at the minute and sinoquin which is glucosamine tablet. I give her metacalm at 5pm ever day and quite often i notice before 4 and 6pm her limp worsens. It must be the medicine wearing off and then taking an hour to get back in her system. By 8pm she is behaving like a puppy again.

Good luck glad things seem to have got better.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi Shiba, oh thank you so much, it is so heartening on here when there are other folks who are going through so much worry and upset with their own dogs who take the time to pass on some kindness and care to another person. It means a lot.

I really hope your girl continues to improve as such and the best of luck for the scan in December, I will keep any eye out as to how she gets on, bless her she is so young. Good luck again. x
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Glad to hear that things are improving for your boy.

I got my 9 1/2 year old Boxer girl on Joint Aid.
It works for her, again it has glucosamine and other bits in it. You can really tell the difference when she's missed a couple of days on it as she's really stiff and limps. (Arthritis in her knee joints, she also has a cruciate problem but hasn't been operated on as she doesn't cope well under GA now). So we just have to restrict her exercise (especially free running - incase she damages her cruciate again) and keep an eye on the arthritis and cruciate, if she appears in pain then she will go on pain relief but at the moment the joint aid seems to be keeping everything a ok.

I'm a great believer in finding what works out for your dog.
Long may the progress continue!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2