View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I've had a quick sneak today to see if I won anything this month (October) and I haven't - never mind there's always next month.

I am still debating about whether I should lump all my £50 ones and buy a £1000 one - someone said I would have better odds? I just think it's the luck of the draw - but if anyone has any views please let me know.

I've had a quick look at the high winners and if I remember correctly some lucky devil won £1,000,000 with a £400 premium bond which they've had for about 2 years (might have to check that fact) - can't be bad eh?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 09:57 AM
My mum bought them the year they came out.....

up to date absolutely nowt....................

and thats a long time ago.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Irish Setter Mu View Post
I've had a quick sneak today to see if I won anything this month (October) and I haven't - never mind there's always next month.

I am still debating about whether I should lump all my £50 ones and buy a £1000 one - someone said I would have better odds? I just think it's the luck of the draw - but if anyone has any views please let me know.

I've had a quick look at the high winners and if I remember correctly some lucky devil won £1,000,000 with a £400 premium bond which they've had for about 2 years (might have to check that fact) - can't be bad eh?
I have heard that the new numbers, for some reason, are more likely to be drawn

I clicked the link Wishbone and you have to enter your "Holders Number" which I think is different from the bond number. Where can I find my holders number? I have never informed them of my change of address so I could be a multi millionaire
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I've never had a PB so would love to get one! Please tell me more!

What is the lowest amount you can get one for? And largest?

How do they work? Why does a £1000 PB have more chance of winning than 10 £100 ones?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 11:23 AM

losos on the forum may be able to advise on what is best with the bonds.... just a thought
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Someone told me I'd be better off selling my individual £50 bonds back to NS&I and then buying one big one (ie, £1,000) as it had a better chance of winning. As I don't know a lot about this I'm really not sure what to do?
No that is wrong statistically speaking it has been proved many times that what you need to do is spread your numbers over as wide a range as possible. Therefore, when you were able to buy PBs in ones and fives it definately paid to buy a small amount every month (or week if you could afford to)

I lost interest when they made the minimum purchase 100 pounds 'cos that was too much for me, and anyway I'm not one of those lucky people.

You seem to be lucky so well done and please don't consolidate your 50 pound holdings. There's some good books on statistical probabllity theory if you want to read up on it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-10-2008, 11:58 AM
So smaller bonds are better? Rather than on lump sum?

I really don't understand how they work - I thought they were like the lottery.. Each one has an equal chance of getting pulled out
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I've never had a PB so would love to get one! Please tell me more!

What is the lowest amount you can get one for? And largest?

How do they work? Why does a £1000 PB have more chance of winning than 10 £100 ones?
The minimum you can purchase at a time is £100, the maximum holding is £30,000. You can set up a monthly direct debit - the minimum is £50.00 and goes up in multiples of £10. There is a draw every month 2 x £1,000,000 prizes and lots of other smaller ones (smallest £50). (I do this instead of pet insurance - not everybody's ideal I know, but it works for me!).

See link below and it will give you more details.

http://nsandi.com/products/pb/index.jsp
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
No that is wrong statistically speaking it has been proved many times that what you need to do is spread your numbers over as wide a range as possible. Therefore, when you were able to buy PBs in ones and fives it definately paid to buy a small amount every month (or week if you could afford to)

I lost interest when they made the minimum purchase 100 pounds 'cos that was too much for me, and anyway I'm not one of those lucky people.

You seem to be lucky so well done and please don't consolidate your 50 pound holdings. There's some good books on statistical probabllity theory if you want to read up on it.

Thanks for that - I was really considering chopping them in.

My hubby has just invested some money in the shape of a one off lump sum payment and bought £1000 of bonds. He did something similar a while ago and had the bonds in place for about a year before he cashed them in - he didn't win anything though.

I will keep all my £50 bonds going - I've got them all neatly filed away in a box file - so far have "saved" £1400 in my little nest egg.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
losos on the forum may be able to advise on what is best with the bonds.... just a thought
Thanks for that - I've been given some good advice below
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >