View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I think it greatly depends on the culture you're in and where you are in your own life. I'm a Mormon and it's very very common in my culture for people to get married between 18-22, I was virtually on the shelf because I only got married at 24!
My cousin got married at 18, so did her Mum, my twin got married at 20. So for me, it's normal, I was the odd one out!
Of my non-religious friends, only a few have got married, so a very small percentage. I'm not saying only religious people get married young but in my experience and culture, it's normal. A lot of those marriages have lasted the same as people who got married later, the age they got married wasn't a factor that I know of. My parents got married 'late' for Mormons and they got divorced after 20 years together.
My complicated views, don't know if that was of any use or interest!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I know that it is very much each to their own, but for me, I think it's too young. My parents had me, when Mum was 19, Dad was 22/23, and got married after I was born.
I think my opinion of it being too young stems from them, as I think they rushed into marriage, more because they had me, (and then my sister) and ended up divorced, and now Dad is married to Mum's childhood best friend! (Who she was best friends with right up until the divorce).

I can't see myself getting married for a long time yet, the same with having children, the dogs take up too much of my time, and I wouldn't want them to suffer because I've got a child!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I married at 20, that was 42 years ago and still going strong.
I don't think you can generalise though, everybody and every circumstance is different.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 07:38 PM
25 apparently, or at least that's what my OH thinks.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Met my OH at 15
Married 4 days after my 17th birthday
had daughter at 18
son at 20
had our 33rd wedding anniversary this year
never did forgive my mum and dad for signing consent forms
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I am 19 almost 20 (in a months time) and bf is 20 and last year of uni. For us to get married now I think is a bit rushed. I think until things are a bit more settled (give it 8-9 months) in terms of a job/house then getting engaged will feel much better for both of us.

I've always said I would like to be married by 25 though.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
My oldest brother got married at 17 and my SIL was 18 at the time and pregnant. They now have got 3 kids and have been married for nearly 10 years.

Personally i think that is way to young. When i was a kid i wanted to get married.... however i don't anymore lol
I feel like its only a piece of paper.... I have been with my OH for over 4 years and i know if i wanted to get married i would be by now. lol
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I think it depends on who the couple is. I got married at 25 and that really was too young for me. I got divorced at 27!!
Now I've remarried (at 3 and feel I should have waited longer. It's just that 25 was too young for me...but each to their own.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
nowadays I'd say 28 is a good age to get married...18-20 IMO is just crazy! Sure it can work (as my parents have), but personally I think it's just too young, there's so much a person can do now that is easier done before they settle down with their OH. There's no rush to have kids nowadays either till you can afford it, and a lot of people can't afford it when they're in their early 20's comfortably with the way things are...(don't shout at me, loads can but I reackon most can't).

(I'm getting married next June at 28 LOL )
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:39 AM
My 1st marriage lasted 21 years I was 25 he was 24, had 2 boys, didn't miss out on anything as I had real fun as a teenager
Had more fun when I divorced and married no 2 hubby
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >