Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I have no idea actually, but I don't think she's stupid enough to get a very hairy breed knowing she was allergic to the hair, so I suspect she didn't. But she adores her dogs, they are life and rightly so, so if taking anti-histamines for a prolonged use of time in order to live with her beloved dogs, then so be it.

Fair enough, I would too, I wasn't criticising! I was just lucky enough to know I was allergic from a very early age so I've never been in that situation.

Some people do get animals they know they're allergic to in the hope that they'll 'adapt', trust me, I've spent a lot of time trying to dissuade them!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-10-2011, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong and not at all how allergies work. If you are allergic to dogs then giving up wheat or anything else apart from dogs will have no effect.

You may well be right and I can not remember where I heard it but it certainly is true for me, regardless of what the official line is. Again I can only speak for me, but I suffer from alergies, period. So when I was putting a lot of toxins in to my body, every morning in life I would spend about half an hour continually blowing my nose until I got all the flem (immune response) out. If I stepped foot inside a home with a dog I would be sneezing within minutes. Now that I have greatly reduced the toxins I ingest I do not really get hayfever any more and can live with two dogs. I am still alergic to all the same stuff, it is just that my body is not so bombarded by it and can therefore cope.
Allergies are an autoimmune condition, they are 'rare' in all populations where they are not understood, recognised or treated. Peanut allergies were rare before we understood anaphylaxis and knew to treat it with adrenaline as people just died on the first attack!
As you say it is an autoimmune condition where the immune system is attacking things it should ignore, the immune response being flem etc. If the OP's immune system ignores everything apart from dog hair then the only solution is to cut down the dog hair. But if they are alergic to other things, like wheat, then their immune system is attacking that as well as the dog hair and therefore the dog hair appears to be the sole culprit when it really is just the over flow.

That was my understanding of the BBC's Bang goes the theory programme on it - where one of the presenters who suffered from alergies ate a pig parasite.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
As you say it is an autoimmune condition where the immune system is attacking things it should ignore, the immune response being flem etc. If the OP's immune system ignores everything apart from dog hair then the only solution is to cut down the dog hair. But if they are alergic to other things, like wheat, then their immune system is attacking that as well as the dog hair and therefore the dog hair appears to be the sole culprit when it really is just the over flow.

That was my understanding of the BBC's Bang goes the theory programme on it - where one of the presenters who suffered from alergies ate a pig parasite.

Hey whatever works for you, but it has no basis in anything resembling current medical knowledge so I don't want other people to read it and think 'Hey if I give up wheat I can get a GSD!'

If you're genuinely interested in finding out how allergies work go to the library, there are lots of biology and physiology books that are suitable for lay people, you have completely the wrong idea at the moment, sorry!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
Hey whatever works for you, but it has no basis in anything resembling current medical knowledge so I don't want other people to read it and think 'Hey if I give up wheat I can get a GSD!'

If you're genuinely interested in finding out how allergies work go to the library, there are lots of biology and physiology books that are suitable for lay people, you have completely the wrong idea at the moment, sorry!
I would say the opposite. That it was not worth NOT trying giving up toxins which your body may well be alergic to also - if that reduces your effect from the dog alergy. I guess you have worked out that I think that a lot of doctors are some of the most close minded people on the planet!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2