View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I see what you're saying but my preference would be for indoors, especially as I train in the evenings. I know a lot of people don't do the homework but that's their prerogative. If they want to do well and pass the assessments then they will.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Depends on the dog and what you are training
Ben dosent care - inside outside - on the moon, he is happy so long as we are doing something together
With Mia I did make the mistake of not listning to my instincts when I told the trainer she wasnt ready to be offlead in an outside public park

On a plus note for weeks after people came up to me saying hello cos they had met Mia when on her zoomies round the park - and she didnt try to eat any dogs - not even the ginat wolf cross (apparently) who ran into the middle of the group when Mia was offlead for her turn

I think for some owners inside would be good to teach them what they need to practise outside - but without them having to worry about their dogs running off

for some people outside would be better where they can get a bit of space for their dog

mind you inScotland outside is a bit risky - sure we all have to walk in the horizontal rain - but trying to listen to people when your ears are talking about just breaking off your head with the cold!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Depends on the dog and what you are training
Ben dosent care - inside outside - on the moon, he is happy so long as we are doing something together
With Mia I did make the mistake of not listning to my instincts when I told the trainer she wasnt ready to be offlead in an outside public park

On a plus note for weeks after people came up to me saying hello cos they had met Mia when on her zoomies round the park - and she didnt try to eat any dogs - not even the ginat wolf cross (apparently) who ran into the middle of the group when Mia was offlead for her turn

I think for some owners inside would be good to teach them what they need to practise outside - but without them having to worry about their dogs running off

for some people outside would be better where they can get a bit of space for their dog

mind you inScotland outside is a bit risky - sure we all have to walk in the horizontal rain - but trying to listen to people when your ears are talking about just breaking off your head with the cold!
My preference for outdoor training is based on a secure training field not a public park
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 11:54 PM
I do not need a class and I can do lots of precision work in doors for obedience etc.

Very little room is needed for this and walls are good for precision heelwork, positions, etc.

However I do need to get outside to track, search and do sendaways
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 12:00 AM
I personally prefer outside training. The place I took mine to had indoor facilities (if weather was bad) and outdoor for most of the time. They had a 1/2 acre fully fenced field which was lovely when the dogs had 'free play' time. It was also good for recall.
The dogs could see through the fenced outside area where there were sheep, cows and horses in view of the dogs and tractors etc going past. All of the dogs were also introduced to the animals on about week 5. There was also a massive 6 acre field where we did distant recall. So lots of distractions.
The indoor hall had a very slippery wooden floor so wasn't ideal, but useful if it was teaming down with rain.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I see what you're saying but my preference would be for indoors, especially as I train in the evenings. I know a lot of people don't do the homework but that's their prerogative. If they want to do well and pass the assessments then they will.
what assessments? lots of clubs dont have them?
surely having your training focussed on real life problems and solutions as opposed to some artificial 'tests' is the more useful aim?

it is their prerogative, thats my point.
so i feel the onus is on a good trainer to keep it real and factor into his/her class planning the probable lack of 'homework' being performed during the week.....which can only mean making the class as near as possible to the week-time reality as one can get, or else you are letting down the dog and owner.

your class is in the the evenings - why would this make a difference? do you walk your dog in the evenings?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
what assessments? lots of clubs dont have them?
surely having your training focussed on real life problems and solutions as opposed to some artificial 'tests' is the more useful aim?

it is their prerogative, thats my point.
so i feel the onus is on a good trainer to keep it real and factor into his/her class planning the probable lack of 'homework' being performed during the week.....which can only mean making the class as near as possible to the week-time reality as one can get, or else you are letting down the dog and owner.

your class is in the the evenings - why would this make a difference? do you walk your dog in the evenings?
It would make a difference because it's dark outside. Not all dogs like the dark.

The 'artificial' tests motivate people to practice. Part of the homework is to practice your training is different places. It's not the trainer's responsibility to babysit the class members. They can only advise.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
It would make a difference because it's dark outside. Not all dogs like the dark.

The 'artificial' tests motivate people to practice. Part of the homework is to practice your training is different places. It's not the trainer's responsibility to babysit the class members. They can only advise.
Ofo course its dark outside! Thats the points.
Thats why in my earlier post I said "real life training", ie, wet, cold, heat, dark, light.

The vast majority of dogs are fine with the dark.
A dark phobic dog would - or should - be getting its own special behaviour help anyway

And you dont think outdoor evening training classes operate without some lightling, do you?

The artificial tests are just that - artificial - we shouldnt be training dogs to pass tests, a good dog trainer should be training dogs to pass life

And a good trainer should have an equally good grip on human nature, and human nature tells us that the average pet dog trainer that has a busy life most likely isnt going to do much homework, tests or no tests, so the better type of dog trainer would be already factoring in such issues and tailoring their classes to make up for such realities.
Its nothing to do with babysitting, its to do with taking a professional approach to reality.

I cannot see the logic in saying we need to run a class in an unnatural environment and then say that's alright then, as the owner can go and do it again themselves in the natural environment, but its their problem if they dont?
So what can we say we would have achieved after running monty and his mum thru the course for 6 weeks?
A dog that can do a nice sit-stay in a cosy little warm hall with none of the distractions of life, but its all good, he got a certificate?

Seems like a waste of time, effort, and money, as it doesnt seem like 'dog training' to me.
I would have thought people go to 'dog training' so their dog can do it again when they go on their walks or at home?
How many times do we hear "monty does it great in class, but rubbish rest of week"?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
My preference for outdoor training is based on a secure training field not a public park
afraid I am learning to my cost the lace of trespass law up here means even on private land certain people can still turn up with 20 odd dogs while we are having a class (grrrr)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
afraid I am learning to my cost the lace of trespass law up here means even on private land certain people can still turn up with 20 odd dogs while we are having a class (grrrr)
Isn't it fenced off?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >