View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:15 AM
It also happens in Cyprus, as there is a major problem with ferral cats and stray dogs. The rescue organisations here help as much as they can and so do most ex-pats between raising money, volunteering, catching the ferral cats and kittens to be speyed. There is always enough food for them because they eat the lizards etc but plenty put down food.

Ziva - the point is that it is being aimed at someone's beloved pet not just the stray dogs and ferral cats, which is bad enough but to deliberately put food laced with lanate in a garden is plain murder. Don't get me wrong I am not condoning any form of poisoning to get rid of stray animals or cruelty in any way.

I know there is cruelty in the UK and other European countries but for some unknown reason it is "in your face" here and a day doesn't go by without an animal being hurt or tortured or poisoned.

Sorry I have gone off on a rant again as I am just so angry.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh don't apologise Candy! I know exactly how you feel; it is so the same here - my dogs have been threatened with poison because I used to cross someones field for them to play in the river - the owner said they would put poison down so I can no longer go there.

They've also been threatened with shotguns when out on walks for no reason whatsoever - just for being there.

Other expats here have had their dogs poisoned in their own gardens, one lady had her dogs shot in her own garden. I live in constant fear of it happening to my three.

Sorry if my post came across wrong, I was trying to highlight what us expats have to put up with from barbaric philistines in many many holiday destinations.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes I know Ziva it has just really hit me this time as a friend's dog was poisoned but fortunately she had the injection to delay the end result which helped to save the dog.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:57 AM
I know how hard it is - I cried for about 3 days solid a few months ago when about 12 dogs in my village were killed.

My heart truly goes out to you and everyone affected by this needless and barbaric cruelty.

I am in the process of collating data on the subject, as I have started a project where I intend to highlight and publicise the cruelty in holiday destinations, so that would-be holiday makers can make an informed decision whether to boycott that country or not.

So I am interested to hear from expats everywhere as to what animal cruelty is like in their country.

So far, in mainland Europe it seems to be just Spain that is cruel, all the others France, Italy, Germany etc have good records. Eastern Europe is horrendous as is Greece and Turkey. Italy is particularly interesting as they have a bad stray problem, however there are no reports of culls or cruelty.

Perhaps I'll start a thread on it specifically.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Sounds like a good idea Ziva. If I can find the link that I have to a group trying to make a difference here in Cyprus against the poisoning then I will post it on here if that is ok with the administrators.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2