View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 05:12 PM
My vets ( 2 of them ) say you only have to worry about too much exercise with very large breeds or heavy breeds or breeds which often have hip problems eg labradors .
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 05:13 PM
At the end of the day, would it be termed as a 'growth plate injury'? The question was about hip dysplasia and whether free running was acceptable to people with their pups. I do let Rio free run, but then she isn't a loony when she plays. If I had a crazy pup, like Labradork that would run itself beyond it's own capabilities, I would make it stop. Dogs don't always know what's good for them. I grew up with a Golden Retriever with HD and arthritis, and his brain still told him he was a six month old pup, which is why he had to be pts aged 10 after jumping off the settee.

I think the 5 min rule is a reasonable guide, but I don't stick to it religiously. Then again I would take Rio out hiking yet for example. What's the point? I should have 12 years with her. I would like them to be happy healthy years.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
My vets ( 2 of them ) say you only have to worry about too much exercise with very large breeds or heavy breeds or breeds which often have hip problems eg labradors .
I would say it's MORE of a concern with large breeds, BUT I would be wary of over exercising a little dog too. the difference being I would walk a smaller breed longer distances from a year old and a larger breed eighteen months to two years, not because of the size though, because of the rate of maturity.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 05:28 PM
The question was about hip dysplasia and whether free running was acceptable to people with their pups.
Of course it is! aside from swimming it is probably the best exercise for pups, and adult dogs for that matter. Obviously the key is moderation. Not going out for hours, no activity that involve dangerous twists and turns such as Frisbee, no forced exercise (jogging, biking, etc.) and generally just taking it easy. After all, you only really need to 'limit' your dog in that respect depending on the breed for the first year or two. I mean, if you want to go running up a mountain, go, but leave the pup at home. Not hard for what is in the swing of things a very short stage of a dogs life.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Thanks. I'm not really concerned but I would like to hear other people's views. I was told by someone that in his opinion no dogs should play off lead under a year old. Sounds like overkill to me and I can't begin to imagine teaching recall to a teenage dog! But hey...
A friend has just had the job of rehoming a 10 month old Labrador whose owners were told he shouldn`t go out till he was a year old. Strangely the dog destroyed the house. Who are these pillocks?
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 06:04 PM
There's a big difference between allowing a puppy (of any size) freedom to exercise as much as it wants to - and to rest as long as it wants when tired - and putting a lead on a young puppy and pounding pavements with it. I've always believed that the five-minute rule was applicable to the latter scenario.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Some of us have said that our vets tell us that we don't need to restrict exercise for small/medium breed dogs as HD isn't an issue. I think it's important to point out that this is strictly in relation to off-lead exercise under the pup's control. On lead walks, running, agility etc still have age limits or restrictions that need to be observed in order to minimise risk of injury.

And that leads to another issue. Most canine sports have a minimum age.

Are those ages based upon pups that have only had very restricted exercise until a year or more old, or are they based upon pups that have run free from a couple of months old, gradually building up strength, stamina, coordination etc?

Of the sports my dog does the ages are as follows:

Hydrotherapy/Swimming - 6 months
Beagle Racing - 6 months
Cani-cross race - 12 months
Agility Competition - 18 months

Any puppy will be accepted for hydrotherapy at 6 months. The reason for the 6 month rule is that most of the growing has occured by that age.

Only a fit puppy that has been allowed to develop naturally will be allowed to beagle race at 6 months. If it's only ever had short walks on lead it won't be fit to run at 6 months.

Although a dog must be 12 months old on the day of a canicross race, it must train for the race for weeks or even months before hand. A dog that's spent it's early life romping about a field covering miles every day will get racing fit very quickly and probably wouldn't need to do any training until about 10 months old. But what age would a pup that's always had exercise restricted need to start training in order to be fit to race?

When my dog started agility at 12 months old she'd spent 7 months running, jumping, play fighting etc Agility was a push over. Would a dog that's always been on lead be fit to start at 12 months?

My point is that if you do choose to keep your dog on lead for it's first year then it's vital that you put it onto a gentle and gradual training program for quite some time before starting any sports. It's a bit like taking a child that's never been allowed to have proper exercise and expecting it to be able to safely do fitness classes as an adult.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I have read this thread with interest.

I will continue to limit my whippet's off lead running within reason until she is at least 15 months old.

To me it makes sense when young bones are still growing.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 10:16 PM
We've never limited our pups off lead exercise, what we did do was give them regular opportunity to rest which they very rarely took. They were let off lead on their first walk and always have been since.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 02:55 AM
I to believe the 5 minute rule is a get out clause, I have had GSD for over 26yrs never had one with HD, highest score I have had is 2:4. Mine are allowed free running exercise off lead on soft ground such as fields from 8wks. I belong to several GSD forums and those that do have dogs with HD are those that restrict the exercise. I dont believe in long road walks but free running is fine, a sheepdog is not confined to the 5minute rule!
When vets quote enviromental aspects this starts before conception, the health of the bitch, food etc of the exspectant dam.
HD is genetic, you can make the degree of it worse if the dog as it with the wrong type of exercise, such as jumping. But free running and swimming will help to develop the gluteal muscles therefore stabilising the hip joint.
Heres what I have posted elsewhere;
Contributing factors
Exercising and maintaining good muscle mass may actually decrease the incidence of the disease. Moderate exercise that strengthens the gluteal muscles(there are three muscles in this group they support the upper thigh/hip/bottom area, so help in stabilising hip joints, 1 deep, 1 superficial and 1 middle one), such as running and swimming are a good idea, but avoid exercise that puts strain on the joints such as jumping, i.e. agility until the dog is scored.
Obesity is another high risk factor; avoid overfeeding and supplementation of calcium.
Growing pattern - rapid growth rate and excessive weight gain (above the average for the breed) can both increase the likelihood of hip dysplasia occurring.
Breed - genetic inheritance, latest research; The existence of a major gene in addition to polygenic gene effects was detected. Although only small frequencies were found for the unfavourable homozygotic genotype AA, the probability of the AB genotype was high in affected animals. Selection schemes to reduce the frequency of the allele A should therefore efficiently improve existing breeding programmes in German shepherd dogs.
Muscle disorder - a muscle disease (developmental myopathy of the pectineus muscle) has been described in German Shepherd puppies with hip dysplasia, although no direct link yet proved.
Pam
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >