Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hiho seems to be a bit agitated in general today
I can understand that.....we all have off days
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Still full of it Joedee,I didn't internet trawl for MY conclusions,I went to visit zooligists(3) and two vet colleges for opinions.I asked what bad effects neutering had on immature animals.Results unanimous.It's not GOOD to neuter before sexual maturity but in the REAL world(not a place you are familiar with perhaps?Lucky you.) as long as the op is not done too early the risks are minimal and the bonuses in terms of no accidental litters immeasurable.Don't see any back up for your internet trawled vet report.Even if it's correct and the animal grew taller and with a narrow skull I must have missed any health issues relating to that.Might result in a 'thrown out with the rubbish' in a show ring but neutered animals aren't welcome there anyway.Apart from the universal 'absolute nonsense' reply I received from the boyos who TEACH vets their business,my own dogs give lie to it.Lazer,a show bred black lab,neutered at 6 months, is short and stocky with a broad skull.I took him to visit a couple of friends who are noted champ show lab judges for assessment.He passed with flying colours until they got to the part where the judge checks to ensure there's 2 in the bag.Quote "He won't set the world on fire but you wouldn't be embarassing yourself to take him in the ring if he was an entire."
Everyone with a brain on this forum knows where you coming from Joedee,I only worry for the newbies/novices who are taken in by your 'expert' baloney.
Did you look up Chris Zink's references?Don't believe you even understood his report.Even Zink admits mature neutering is only the option when an environment idealus is there.
Enough,back to ignore list.

Why are you calling me Joedee ?? Joedee was my Cavalier who died in his sleep in February

I don't talk to Zoologists(which at least I can spell) nor Vet colleges, but to very experienced practising GP Veterinary Surgeons & Orthopaedic Veterinary surgeons, who work at the sharp end of the pet world, not in the isolated ethereal world of academia & laboratory.

What branch of Zoology did these Zoologists specialize(BTW the z is correct) in ?? Did they all specialize in Canids ?????

The Vets I know have not just qualified nor are they gungho about neutering everything that moves. From their hands on experience they do not neuter until the animal is mature. Even in cats they they do not neuter before the correct level of maturity is reached(& it a damn sight early than dogs, so the same advice for kittens is not the same as for dogs)

Like it or not it is a BIOLOGICAL fact that the hormone that triggers the closure of the growth plates in the long bones requires a specific level of appropriate sex hormone to be produced before it is produced QED.

I suggest BTW that you check out the references in the quoted report in the veterinary journals.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 10:31 PM
BTW Hi Ho Silver , Chris is not a he.................

As you did not manage to identify the sex of a vet whom you are dissing, it demonstrates the thoroughness of your "research"!

Ho Ho Silver!
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Perhaps you're unaware of the original post that put Joedee on my ignore list.Too right I'm not in the mood to roll with it with the idiots at the moment.
And that particular idiot is quoting one side of an argument in an inappropriate forum.Zink is a novice,if this were the place for it a healthy debate could continue on the veterinary aspects of early neutering.
I don't like early neutering and I don't do it.But I do neuter and have the luxury of both the facilities and the expertise to wait until my dogs are fully mature before they have to undergo it.
In the real world however there are all these normal people whose lives DON'T revolve around their dogs.They wouldn't know a labrador from a chipmonk but they can make perfectly adequate homes for a dog.As long as it's neutered.We've seen them on this forum.They're racing off to the vet because their bitch pup is bleeding.Their rescue dog is in whelp.The best of them come onto this forum and are given tactful advice.I can visualise every time the tactful advisers ripping their hair out and nail biting to the quick in despair as I do when I see these posts.
Then along comes one blowfish promoting ignorance and I lose it,sorry dudes.I can bite my nails and tear my hair with the best but this .... beggers belief.This forum has always been a distraction from my beloved wife's illness.I don't care what sex Zinks is,it bore no relevance to looking into the subject so I paid it no mind.As for Joedee,she hasn't put up her(?) real name on her profile,and is wearing a burglars mask on her photo so why not call her by her screen name?It's entirely likely that I'm suffering Post Mortum Tension so am tetchier than usual.I'm also not unique in typos-but both my spelling and vocab are better than most so picking on that is just pathetic.
And the day that any one of you knocking my stand on neutering walks a mile in MY shoes,ie the hard end of rescue picking up the broken puppies and haggard bitches who've had litter after litter,then come back and tell me how wrong it is.
I'm kicking against the rescues who support neutering at 12 - 16 weeks here!It's happening now and where did the idea come from?The UK!
I go for a 6 months MINIMUM age,8 - 9 months in a slow maturing breed and as many pet owners don't have any recollection of their pets' ages(bizarre to me but that's the way they are)or even the YEAR they got them I follow up my own rehomings of entire animals and remind them.
What experience has Smokey or Joedee of the REAL world of the thousands of unwanted animals doomed to slow horrific death because their parents weren't neutered?Either of them sat up night after night cradling a dying dog that arrived too late?I only post here the ones that make it.And on one occasion one who I didn't expect to.
Smokeybear claims to have won here with neutered animals but her profile not only doesn't show a name it doesn't even declare a breed!I could check the veracity of that claim quickly and easily otherwise but as it stands I don't believe it.The Munster circuit starts in a few months,know what that is SB?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Perhaps you're unaware of the original post that put Joedee on my ignore list.Too right I'm not in the mood to roll with it with the idiots at the moment.
And that particular idiot is quoting one side of an argument in an inappropriate forum.Zink is a novice,if this were the place for it a healthy debate could continue on the veterinary aspects of early neutering.
I don't like early neutering and I don't do it.But I do neuter and have the luxury of both the facilities and the expertise to wait until my dogs are fully mature before they have to undergo it.
In the real world however there are all these normal people whose lives DON'T revolve around their dogs.They wouldn't know a labrador from a chipmonk but they can make perfectly adequate homes for a dog.As long as it's neutered.We've seen them on this forum.They're racing off to the vet because their bitch pup is bleeding.Their rescue dog is in whelp.The best of them come onto this forum and are given tactful advice.I can visualise every time the tactful advisers ripping their hair out and nail biting to the quick in despair as I do when I see these posts.
Then along comes one blowfish promoting ignorance and I lose it,sorry dudes.I can bite my nails and tear my hair with the best but this .... beggers belief.

Professor Christine Zink qualified as a vet in 1985 so obviously she is a raw novice compared to the Lone Ranger.

Labrador from a Chipmonk ?? Not many people would as Chipmonks don't exist except in your imagination.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
I have obviously missed the threads where all this came up from
But I just wanna say that from what i see from the average owner round here I totaly 100% support neutering of rescue dogs at around 6 - 8 months depending on the breed

Sad to say that the average owner round here still wants a litter from their pet
They have pretty much no control of their dogs and prefer not to use leads - and often still let them stray all day while they are at work

They are just to big numpties to keep in season bitches away from other dogs

I didnt know neutered dogs can be shown, that is really good to know - I thought the standard said the dog hd to have 2 testicles
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2011, 08:39 AM
*Some posts have been removed. This thread is in one of our more serious sections - so please be careful not to post any off-topic replies*
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I didnt know neutered dogs can be shown, that is really good to know - I thought the standard said the dog hd to have 2 testicles

Hi Ben, yes that caveat is in all breed standards (for males anyway)

It is true that male dogs are more likely to be penalised for being neutered than females as of course the judge cannot determine whether or not a female is entire. Although if it is a well known dog they will

There have been dogs that have won CCs with no bits, but they are few and far between (the dogs that is not their dooberies).

Unlike other bodies, the KC has NO disqualifying faults, and so an outstanding specimen of a dog that has no reproductive organs, is likely to win over poor specimens that should not have any............
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
If my post is considered inappropriate and off topic, then apologies to the moderators, but I do think it is something which needs to be said.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I think neutering should be considered on each dog as an individual.
So a young, biddable Pointer with already long legs shouldn`t be neutered (if at all) till mature. Or he runs the risk of turning into the giraffe-like creature I saw recently.
A young DDB bitch up for rehoming an inner-city area should be neutered asap or she`ll be used as a breeding bitch.
A timid male and an aggressive bitch should not be neutered till after their behavioural issues are sorted as the hormone changes will not help.

We all, hopefully, make these decisions in the best interests of our dogs, surely?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >