View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
If you still feed wet food I find oats added to the meat helps plus shredded suet sprinkled on top. The suet is very high in calories but does not add bulk.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I dont know if I am way out here but if you are wanting to put weight on him wouldn't you need to look at adding carbohydrate - pasta, rice, oats stuff like that, into his diet?

Thats assuming you are not going to try and change his diet completely I mean.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
hi,

with raw I find that you have to gradually teach a dog how to eat it... when I first gave Tess a chicken wing she had no idea what to do with it.... when i held it for her she learnt to munch on it.... and now they're pure heaven Tonight I tried a new experiment: chicken livers.... I tried them raw.... totally not interested So I threw them in the frying pan for a few minutes (ok, no longer completely raw, but still raw inside).... and within the space of seconds she was sitting waiting to be fed.... next time I'll just fry them up for 1 minute.... after that try raw again.... it takes a little work to start with but IMO once they've had a taste.... they're through the barrier.... much easier then getting children to eat healthy food
Thanks, that is an excellent tip. I will give that a go

Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
If you still feed wet food I find oats added to the meat helps plus shredded suet sprinkled on top. The suet is very high in calories but does not add bulk.
I have some suet so will try that with his meal later, thank you

Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I dont know if I am way out here but if you are wanting to put weight on him wouldn't you need to look at adding carbohydrate - pasta, rice, oats stuff like that, into his diet?

Thats assuming you are not going to try and change his diet completely I mean.

I tried pasta this morning, he picked his way around it I am willing to try anything that gets him eating I have just cooked a few extra fish fingers for the childrens lunch and he wolfed them down!

Do you think it would help if I started feeding him 4/5 smaller meals instead of 2 big ones?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I struggled for years with dogs glaring unhappily at their food. I even cooked mince etc to put on the dog to tempt them. Then I switched to raw feeding and have polished plates! Every day!
Try your dog with some raw breast of lamb, or some raw mince, and see if he likes it.
Lynne Leo n Lot
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I feed raw, the raw meaty bones diet. Having failed to get my adopted dog who had been found half starved, to regain weight on high quality kibble after 4months!
On raw she was at her optimum weight in 2 weeks.
Leo my deerhound lurcher had always had one solid poo in the morning and then they got sloppier-I knew this was not right, many of our friends dogs were the same.
I did research and read a lot of controversial stuff so I ended up googling "is a dog an omnivore or a carnivore" I never looked back
I started the Raw Meaty Bones diet-there's a forum to help and guide you through it.
Leo my deerhound cross had an operation and his medication, an anti inflamatory, was an appetite suppressant. My vet didn't tell me! found out the hard way! I researched the medication on the internet when Leo basically stopped eating.
If your dog is on any medication for arthritis, check it out.
At this time he wouldn't even eat raw - in the end I tried Butchers canned Tripe in jelly. It got him eating again.

Before giving it my dogs I phoned Butchers, contents are just meat no grains etc the animal derivitives I was concerned about are just organ such as heart, lungs etc
along with fresh meat and tripe.
So just to point out Butchers is good stuff-yes, it's cooked in the can not raw but no nasties, no colours or preservatives no grains (which I believe dogs shouldnt eat) as long as you get the tripe in jelly variety. Just tripe, meat and organs and a bit of ground bone for calcium.
I feed this with the Raw meaty bones-chicken backs, mutton/lamb ribs, beef brisket on the bone, sometimes liver.
1-2 eggs a week, canned tuna, pilchards a couple of times a week and fresh green tripe when I can get it.
By feeding the tinned Butchers tripe I know that they are getting enough organ meat-stops me worrying. Also when it's foul weather and they can't feed outside, I just feed the Butchers.
Lottie my rescue will never eat chicken, didn't give her anything for 3days but still wouldn't touch it. But loves lamb ribs. Leo won't touch pork ribs, and neither will eat turkey or raw fish. They have their own tastes just like we do
I get all my meat and green tripe fresh from the local butcher's it's surprising how happy they are to help.

Lottie is now 28-29kg when we adopted her she was 19kg after feeding her high quality kibble for 4months she had dropped to 18kg. The sloppy poos are caused by the kibble containing undigestable food such as grains,soya etc.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lynne Leo n Lot View Post
I feed raw, the raw meaty bones diet. Having failed to get my adopted dog who had been found half starved, to regain weight on high quality kibble after 4months!
On raw she was at her optimum weight in 2 weeks.
Leo my deerhound lurcher had always had one solid poo in the morning and then they got sloppier-I knew this was not right, many of our friends dogs were the same.
I did research and read a lot of controversial stuff so I ended up googling "is a dog an omnivore or a carnivore" I never looked back
I started the Raw Meaty Bones diet-there's a forum to help and guide you through it.
Leo my deerhound cross had an operation and his medication, an anti inflamatory, was an appetite suppressant. My vet didn't tell me! found out the hard way! I researched the medication on the internet when Leo basically stopped eating.
If your dog is on any medication for arthritis, check it out.
At this time he wouldn't even eat raw - in the end I tried Butchers canned Tripe in jelly. It got him eating again.

Before giving it my dogs I phoned Butchers, contents are just meat no grains etc the animal derivitives I was concerned about are just organ such as heart, lungs etc
along with fresh meat and tripe.
So just to point out Butchers is good stuff-yes, it's cooked in the can not raw but no nasties, no colours or preservatives no grains (which I believe dogs shouldnt eat) as long as you get the tripe in jelly variety. Just tripe, meat and organs and a bit of ground bone for calcium.
I feed this with the Raw meaty bones-chicken backs, mutton/lamb ribs, beef brisket on the bone, sometimes liver.
1-2 eggs a week, canned tuna, pilchards a couple of times a week and fresh green tripe when I can get it.
By feeding the tinned Butchers tripe I know that they are getting enough organ meat-stops me worrying. Also when it's foul weather and they can't feed outside, I just feed the Butchers.
Lottie my rescue will never eat chicken, didn't give her anything for 3days but still wouldn't touch it. But loves lamb ribs. Leo won't touch pork ribs, and neither will eat turkey or raw fish. They have their own tastes just like we do
I get all my meat and green tripe fresh from the local butcher's it's surprising how happy they are to help.

Lottie is now 28-29kg when we adopted her she was 19kg after feeding her high quality kibble for 4months she had dropped to 18kg. The sloppy poos are caused by the kibble containing undigestable food such as grains,soya etc.
Thank you That is great advice.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I think sometimes dogs get bored of their food, especially if they have had the same one for a while?

Lola and Marius went off their Arden Grange (great food and they had lovely shiny coats etc on it). I got anxious when they were leaving the majority of it and both losing weight. So I put them on Skinners Ruff & Ready (after hearing favourable things about it on Dogsey). They adore it!

It does say on the bag about it being appealing to the fussiest of eaters. I liked the fact it could be fed as is, dry or adding a bit of lukewarm water and letting it stand for a few mins, it produces a gravy.

They've both put weight back on, have glossy coats and their stools are firmer. Big thumbs up from me here!

I would try adding fish to your dogs food if they are very fussy. My two adore tuna, tinned pilchards, sardines etc. Very cheap to buy (less than 40p per tin) and dogs usually love them - added benefit of omega oils for good health too
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2