View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 04:26 PM
alot of people leash their dogs when they see me and indie coming, i find it quite nice that people have the courtesy to do so.
I dont think its out of courtesy to you Jen although some may be
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Lel - don't you find people with even more courtesy when you have both Gus and Libs with you?

With me it depends on peoples reactions as to weather I put Sal on lead - if they leave their dog off lead I leave a Sal off, but if their dog is already on lead or they put it on lead I'll do the same.
There again I always put her on lead if the peole look like they have no control

With the pup she is always put on lead - unless I know the people and dog (regular walking places) that way she can't bounce all over them.

Karen
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 05:44 PM
alot of people leash their dogs when they see me and indie coming, i find it quite nice that people have the courtesy to do so.
lol lel i was thinking that too!

there was a woman the other week who did put her dog on lead cos he was terrible with other dogs! why he was off lead in the first place i dont know!
as we approached she put him on lead and he was lunging toward indie proper growling. The owner barely had control of him as he was kicking away using her body trying to get close

im glad she had the courtesy to put him on lead.

im sure there must be some who put theirs on lead cos if indie, but she is always on lead anyway, perhaps some people think that cos shes on lead shes not good with other dogs?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I think thats what people assume about Teagan - that she is not good with other dogs.

I keep her on a lead around other dogs and people, as if a 7 stone dog runs towards you, mouth wide open, foaming, it can be quite scary!
She jumps around, and people always assume thats being agressive, but she puts herself is such submissive poses, and wants to play and be stroked.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Julie
I'm sorry but I disagree...both of my dogs that are allowed off lead are sound around other dogs and are not put back on a lead around other dogs....if the other dog is on a lead mine will not approach to near and if they are off lead then they should be sociable too.
If a dog is aggressive its a different matter but why do you want a dog put back on a leash everytime another dog comes into view?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2005, 07:40 PM
if you have the control and the dog is sound i don't think you should,but if some one asked i would because they are not 100% of their own dog which would then make me want to any way to protect mine.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2005, 08:46 AM
ARRGHHH his is my biggest bug where I live. Even if dogs are well behaved I always say just out of common courtesey even hold their collars or put them on a lead as people walk past and then let them go again no hassle or problems. I have Cassy off lead I always make a point of putting her back on whenever anybody comes into sight, when I am past I will let her off again but I am always careful Kip never gets off unless we are up teh fields or somewhere quiet for obvious reasons. I think its just nice to do so.

The problem is not always the well behaved dog but the idiots who have the not so well behaved or more aggressive dogs. You know if your dog is off lead and attacked there is nothing that can be done either side because by law dogs are supposed to be on lead when they are out walking. Now I am not saying we should all keep our dogs on lead in case one person may or may not have untrained or aggressive dogs but just be aware if anything does happen the law is not on your side - I know I learnt from experience.

This happened to a neighbour of mine too. She had an old collie, over 10, he is very well behaved and usually always off lead never bothered other dogs just plods along beside the owner taking life easy - you know the type. One day he was attacked by the same 3 pitbulls that attacked Cassy - these dogs attacked lots of dogs but were always kept off lead. Anyway the long and short is as usual teh police did naff all because the dog that was attacked was off lead as well as the 3 that were the attackers eventually one was taken away and PTS when they went for a dog on lead but not before attacknig quite a few dogs. The police had said that if the (attacked) dog was on lead it would have been a different matter. I think the same also applies if the dog which attacks is on lead and yours is off.

There is a guy who walks 2 JRTs off lead and one came charging up to us and Kip got a hold of it before I pulled her away - not my fault, in this case common courtesey i.e. putting the dogs on lead, could have spared a lot of trouble. You would be surprised the amount of dogs in my area which come charging up to mine sometimes barking sometimes just wanting to play, thers is a little basenji that runs circles round my two whenever she is out, not a bad bone in her body but with a dog like Kip it is very frustrating.

Rant over lol.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2005, 08:53 AM
I do hope duncan is ok now

I cant let my little terrier off as he is a nightmare off lead (runs off)
Ruby i dont leash because i see another dog, she is fine with dogs.

If the dog is well trained and sociable around other dogs i dont see why you should leash the dog when you see another dog, of course as others have said, if you know the approching dog is not nice, i would leash mine, but otherwise i dont.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I can let poppy and daisy off no probs as theyll come straight back to me on the first command.however candy and buddy are still quite bad at recall, so i only let them off if theres no other dogs about or if we are in a massive space ie the beach.
what worries me is the nervous owners who leash their dogs as soon as they see another dog, as im sure this is giving the dog the message that there's a big problem with other dogs.my old male choccy lab milo had previously been owned by someone who never ever let him off the lead, and he became very dog aggressive as she tensed when another dog approached.
Obviously if you know your own dogs or the dog approaching is trouble, its right to put them on the lead!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Poor Duncan ended up with 7 stitches !

I hope the friendly off leash dogs never meet a dog like my old Ben we kept him on a lead because he attacked anything that moved I lost count of the times friendly dogs rushed up with owners laughingly shouting they only want to play totally ignoring the fact I was screaming at them to call the dog back !

I come back to the point imo it is simply courteous to put a dog on lead or even hold it's collar when other dogs on lead pass by, they may be many reasons people don't want their dogs approached and it might just be for the safety of your own dog !
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >