Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
In their hearts and minds I`m sure they are massive but a teenies thoughts of bigness don`t weigh as much as my Willows bloomin` great head

I get the rotties on top of me too,,, now compared to them even your lot are teenies patch lol,,, ya get a dead foot with there thick heads laying on them,,
as to world domination,,, I doubt it, my lot cant control there legs half the time never mind me or the world lol

sounds like you have a pretty normal happy puppy,, x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I think your vet was a bit OTT, especially as he was talking about a puppy!

After being re-educated by Arnty Patch as to the evils of dominance theory I also don't believe dogs are trying to take over the human race and that a dominant dog is a very rare thing. In evolutionary terms it just doesn't make sense for lots of dogs to have dominant personalities.

This is a really good website for advice on dog behaviour (thanks to Evie for the link):
http://www.dogstardaily.com/
There's also some games to play with your dog as well as training tips (using postivie reinforcement).

Take no notice of your vet (maybe he/she has been hypnotized by the neon teeth of CM?).
Rosiemakes7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi and thank you for the replies.. well as it happens we had dogs when I was growing up but I don't actually remember too much of the puppy stages.. oh except the last one was a yellow lab and very pleased with herself when she was able to reach even the safest places I used to tuck my feet. This is our first family dog. To be honest I was quite taken aback by the vets comments (which is where my comments in the welcome post stemmed from and hence the ? in the heading of this post) ..almost as much as you all seem to be... and obviously she has caused me to worry needlessly by the sounds of things and also to worry about my own capabilities .. We have had Rosie since she was a day short of 7 weeks.. I gave her a settling in period before taking her to the vets in the first place. I also mentioned the comments to my Mum... who has a lot of experience with dogs and puppies (but we don't live near by anymore)... she, like you all seem to be saying, thought that she was sure it was Rosie wanting a snuggle... but then added that perhaps she was just deluded (whilst she cracked up laughing) and actually all the dogs she had ever trained were in fact power control freaks.....

I do think Rosie is going to be quite characterful, the week we brought her home she took charge of the pack.. up until then she had always been the second in command to her brother and then one day she flattened him and that was it... she was top dog. You have all confirmed to me my own initial reaction on the vets comments about her lying on my feet and that was a little less polite than the reply with "twaddle"... until the doubt set in...... of course I could be posting in here again with more behaviour questions just in case you were thinking I have just turned into a know it all .......
Thank you for the thoughts and views so far..

Helen
Rosiemakes7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2008, 05:05 PM
LOL LOL I have just gone back to this thread after finally getting a few minutes to do my reply to the first few replies that were there what seems only a minute or two ago... where does the time go??.... I have nearly died laughing with some of your replies. Thank you for not only confirming my thoughts on the vets idea of dominance but.... and to be serious for a moment I totally agree with (help, terribly senile these days so can't remember who wrote it) the post that mentioned being taken from her natural mum etc and that funnily enough is exactly how I see things for puppies. Beginning to think actually that I should just stick with this practice in the hopes that I can feed more interesting and extreme ideas on dog world dominance your way... to be mocked. Thank you for making my afternoon.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2