View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Ok thank you everyone for your replies so far.

Most people site licking as a stress related behaviour then. Though there are a couple of bed lickers that have no mention of stress attached - thank you - interesting!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 12:17 PM
our old pug is a compulsive 2licker" he certainly is not stressed and he has done it since he came to live with us about 5yrs ago i know very little of his past. His favourite has to be carpets and vet bed but he does lick the chair throws, trouser legs, and the cross bars from the dining chairs. He will also "air lick" which causes him to belch. Why? havnt got a clue!!!!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Jed used to be a wall licker when he was a pup and did quite a bit of damage to the kitchen walls. Now I will often see him licking his bed, in particular a sofa cushion which one of them has got in it. He doesnt seem to be stressed, he appears to be just chilling out in his bed whenever I catch him doing it. He has never been a dog that licks people or other dogs though.

I assumed it was some kind of comfort thing (when he used to the lick the walls as a pup he was an only dog and got left alone quite a bit so I assume back then it was done for a different reason).
blackbird
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Henry licks the conservatory doors. We used to think it was because he wanted to go out, but when you open the doors, he doesn't want to go out. He will do it for up to 5 or 10 minutes. He is a completely chilled out, well-exercised, very happy dog and certainly not stressed, so we don't know why he does it.

I'm always having to clean the glass on the door, though!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Diesel my staffie licks everything but especially the leather sofa, the wool carpet and the OH's cotton trousers. I don't think he's stressed at all.
Rio my female Dobermann is obsessed with licking ears and will then continue on to lick the carpet too. I think she's a clean freak.
erictheelf
New Member!
Male 

04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi all,

My new boxer pup now almost 10 months old, licks his bedding from time to time generally when it is new or just washed, and much more frequently, licks the carpet when he is invited to share the TV room with us. This is most nights and will last for over 5 minutes before being stopped by me.

Dont like him doing it as it is a relatively new chinese rug.

Can't give any specific reason why he does it, perhaps he's trying to clean our last boxers smell from the rug.

He doesn't lick walls though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Jade used to spend hours licking cushions. She only did it when totally chilled and relaxed.

(just a note if you are collating info, she was a brain damaged dog so it may skew any conclusions you reach if you consider her reactions)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
I am doing some research into the drivers behind bed licking, wall licking and similar things.

If anyone can tell me if their dog bed or wall licks and if so, how often and for how long, then I would really appreciate it.
In many instances I would consider this behaviour to be a form of displacement activity, an activity a dog adopts in order to fill moments of boredom.

I think licking/kneading bedding etc releasing chemicals in the dogs brain which have a calming effect on the dog . Licking human skin is pleasurable to a dog because it has a slightly salty taste.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

I think licking/kneading bedding etc releasing chemicals in the dogs brain which have a calming effect on the dog
That's exactly right!

Murphy will lick bed/cushion/my trouser leg for about a minute before settling down on an evening.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Fantasitc range of responses everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

So can I ask further, of those that appear to be licking but totally chilled, are they dogs which

a) Have access to other dogs, but can not lick them for some reason and if so why?

or
B) Are "lone" dogs that generally do or have in the past lived apart from other dogs.

or c) there is some other reason as considered by you the owners, that the dog is doing this?

And/or d) Anything you want to say on the subject.

Personally, I think Licking is generally misunderstood, and I want to understand. So that I can bring understanding. Thank you for your time and effort. Denise x
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >