View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh your poor, poor dog. I have a dog who suffers with terrible skin, but his is allergy related and is called atopy, maybe you could look it up and see if it fits? Iknow this was a sudden onset, but he is 9 months old, and if he is an allergy suffer, then of course this could just happen overnight like we see hear? If he were my dog, I think the first thing I would do is go and buy a bottle of Hibiscrub and give him a good bath. This is the shampoo that surgeons use to scrub up with and it kills just about everything, so if there's bacteria or anything else lurking on his skin then it will make him feel a lot, lot better and it won't do any harm either! You can try putting him on Piritons twice a day and see how he goes, coz these will also relieve him if he's an allergic dog, again, these are quite safe for dogs, BUT, you have to get the normal cheaper variety, NOT the expensive ones that DON'T make them drowsy, you need the ones that DO make you drowsy as these are safe ok. I'm surprised those vets haven't pointed you in both these directions actually! You need to clean those ears out too, and again, I'm surprised your vets haven't offered to have him in to do that either. You can have them flushed out and thoroughly cleaned by the vets, as I do that for my dog when they get like that. Again, allergic dogs ALWAYS suffer with ear problems, gunk like that, because the two go together, as I've been told numerous times by my vets.

When everything has settled down, ask your vet about Fuciderm gel as that will help to heal all those wealds. You can go and buy a tub of Sudocrem too, it's quite cheap, and you can slap it on as much as you want, and again, it will sooth and help heal them up.

Is he scratching? Has he been de-flead with a spot on lately? Again, if it's allergy based then he will need to have this done every month, not every 3 months as it says on the box.

Poor little dog, he doesn't look happy does he. I hope you can help him out with some of this info on here, so good luck.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I cant offer any advice other than......try putting spinach in his food. 2 or 3 blocks. It is cheap and worth a shot.
My Dax had skin probs. Was itching and making himself raw. We did the flea and mange treatment. Ruling out various things to rule out allergies. The vet said next step was to do blood tests at 200 a time! In desperation i contacted his breeders and she sent me a load of gumph on the wonders of spinach. I was dubious, But...........it worked. Within 2 days itching stopped and we havent looked back. He still eats it every day.
Have a look on the net if yuo want further proof.
Good luck.
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Ooooh that's a new one! I might try that myself on Georgie! Thanks for that tip Catsa
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
These look very similar to the ones Tonks gets and hers in an allergic reaction. They go away and then she will charge through the undergrowth and long grass on a walk and they will come back again. But hers don't look as bad as your dogs. So far Tonks has had two doses of antibiotics for it and it clears up everytime.

Our vet says, because of her age (6 months when she first had it), it was best to try to nip it in the bud as she could get a secondary infection and then it could spread.

Hers seems to be in her armpits more often than anywhere else, and the vet said this is because the hair is almost non existent there so the irritants touch the skin. She has very short hair, like your dogs' too.

The only different is that hers do not seem to itch her.

Your dogs ears look mucky, like when dog's have ear mites, has she been checked for that?
jalalali
New Member!
Male 

07-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Well he's being treated with a cocktail of gentacin anti-biotics, avil anti-allergics, and steriods i guess :/ That is 3 shots per day for 3 days. Today was the 3rd day, tomorrow we'll have to see how he feels.

To Helena
If he were my dog, I think the first thing I would do is go and buy a bottle of Hibiscrub and give him a good bath.
. How about the selenium sulphide shampoos ? are they similar? By the way Vet has advised not to give him a bath for a few days, until the infection dies out from the inside. :/ I do need help about the shampoos, I need recommendations for the ones which would be best for him, considering he's allergic

Thanks for fuciderm tip, I'll do that.
The gunk had been cleaned out yesterday, but today again it was full of pus.

I think he is an allergic dog, atleast he has become one now, so what are the prophylactic measures for that ? piriton should be used regularly ?

Actually the de-fleaing medicine was the last thing i used before he got like this :/ . So the Vet says he needs to get stabilized first until we could give him a bath with that again.

Catsta2001, Thanks that was an excellent advice, spinach has alot of fibre and is excellent for digestion problems too, I'll start with that tomorrow.

Our vet says, because of her age (6 months when she first had it), it was best to try to nip it in the bud as she could get a secondary infection and then it could spread.
Catrinsparks What did you mean by that, sorry i didn't get you?

Well as i said so many things got wrong with him , that we couldn't get to the bottom of it. But mites is a one of the possibilities my vet mentioned. Could anyone of you tell me how to get rid of them?

Thank you all for your advices and responses, I really appreciate the help. I hope he gets well soon, InshAllah.
x x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Jalalali

The vet said something about as she was still growing an allergic reaction and secondary infection could spread and become an ongoing problem if it wasn't treated properly straight away.

The ear mites can be treated by ear drops. The ones from a pet shop will work on a mild case of mites, but not a real infestation. If it is a serious case of mites then you will need to get ear drops from the vet.

Hope you pup is feeling better soon.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
This does actually look like something our dogs had years ago - it started off like wet eczema and then crusted. Particularly noses, ends of ears and armpits. We never got to the bottom of it, but after a few horrible months, it just cleared up. They were treated with Malaseb (useless), steroid creams (pretty useless as they licked it of eachother) and antibiotics (don't know whether these helped really - the patches just started up elsewhere).

I did wonder recently whether it could have been lupus. But the fact two dogs were affected simultaneously would make it unlikely - unless a trigger common to both could have initiated it (they were related).

The thing is, they were fine in themselves, unlike your boy, which makes it more worrying. Really hope you can get to the bottom of the cause, but as Helena says, Sudocrem can be pretty good at helping the affected areas to heal. I'd definitely be seeking a second opinion if your first vet seems to have drawn a blank.
jalalali
New Member!
Male 

07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Well I was given a drop for the ears, but I don't know if it was for the mites or just to soften the gunk. I'll ask about the ear mite drops tomorrow, his ears really seem to be bothering him, constant shaking of the head.
Catrin so does this mean he'll be sick every other day ? I mean he did have a semi-allergic reaction to the wasp sting a month back, including fever etc. So this is going to get worse every time ? is there a way to fix it. Why can't their immune system be strengthened ?

Helen, ear gunk = ear infection / mites. Finding gunk in the ears is a sign for future infection ? or does the gunk cause infection ?

It is some type of eczema, and is concentrated in the areas as you've described, mse2ponder. The bumps etc are turning into scabs, Thank God. So you are saying this would go away in a few months ? I don't need to apply any topical medicine except sudocrem ? But there must be an anti-fungal / bacterial / mite shampoo of some sort that could be used. Helen mentioned Hibiscrub, I don't know if that could be used as a regular shampoo ?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by jalalali View Post

It is some type of eczema, and is concentrated in the areas as you've described, mse2ponder. The bumps etc are turning into scabs, Thank God. So you are saying this would go away in a few months ? I don't need to apply any topical medicine except sudocrem ? But there must be an anti-fungal / bacterial / mite shampoo of some sort that could be used. Helen mentioned Hibiscrub, I don't know if that could be used as a regular shampoo ?
This is the kind of shampoo Malaseb is - think it's prescription only though. I think it was to be used every other day.. You wet the dog, apply and lather it and then leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse.

I'd definitely continue with whatever has been prescribed, just when ours had their problems, we finished the course of ABs, finished up the cream and were having no results despite shampooing with Malaseb frequently (which was drying the skin even further) and so eventually, just resorted to applying cream to soothe it (can't remember the exact one). It went in its own time - very similar to my, seemingly random, eczema flare-ups - There's not really much I can do sometimes except try and soothe the affected areas and wait for it to subside!

I don't know whether the topical ointments just weren't given enough time to take effect. As I said - the dogs would just lick the cream and bite all the scabs off in the process. What are you treating your boy with currently? Has your vet not prescribed any steroid creams or medicated shampoos?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't know sorry Jalalali. Tonks does get these bumps quite often but they do not itch her.

Shaking the head is a sign of ear mites. I would check with the vet that you have been given ear drops to treat ear mites, rather than just ear cleaner.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >