View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Another thought, a lot of joint supplements include vitamin C so you may want to consider avoiding that in the mix.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks Ziva, will remmember that
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm glad you asked that Lottie, as I have been wondering the same thing.

He is 2 and a half, and is starting to do the working trials jumps (which build up to the (controversial) 6 foot scale). Since joint problems are fairly common in GSDs (a good number are retired from trials at about 5 or 6 years due to joint issues) I wanted to ensure as far as possible that Cox is protected.

I have been giving Cox a glucosamine/chodrontrin supplement at the human dose for about 5 weeks now. The ingredients do say that there is also vit C in the mix, but since I know that you couldn't really overdose on that as any not needed is secreted, I didn't think it was a problem. I had read the Billinghurst book a while ago and remembered that he advised actually supplementing vit C at quite high doses. But given what Ziva has said (which I didn't realise) I'll have a look round for another brand. I see Dorwest Herbs now do a joint supplement so that might be the way to go.

Ziva, do you have a reference for the info that supplementing vit C actually stops the dog from doing it for himself. I'm not questioning it, just really interested to find out more!

Ziva - you are a fountain of knowledge on feeding lol.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I give glucosamine and green lipped mussell routinely and also give oily fish once or twice a week.

I know that Loki is better with his supplements and get the feeling that his joints will give him trouble in later life, so it's damage limitation really.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I've been giving Max joint supplements for nearly 3 years now (he is 6). I mentioned to our vet that very occasionally I noticed stiffness in one of his hind legs when he was getting up. My concern was that as a large dog he probably never had his exercise controlled whilst he was growing. She advised that it would not do him any harm to include a joint supplement and recommended the one by healthy direct, glucosamine, MSM, chondrotin and vit C (I hadn't heard that about vit C before, thank you for that info Ziva!).
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
One of my valls lives with his agility trainer and during the heavy training/competing season he, and the rest of her mad pack, take Vet-vits - which are glucosomine, chondritin and vit C - which helps with the absorption.

I can probably find a link at some point if you want, but you'll probably have googled them by then
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks all.

I've had a look in our cupboard, we have the healthy direct (I think) Glucosamine, Chrondoitin, MSM and Vit C, we also have Glucosamine Sulphate capsules, or we have plain MSM tablets.

This morning I gave them half a MSM tablet each and one capsule of the Glucosamine Sulphate because of the Vit C in the other one.

Not sure what to give now... I had a look for a CSJ blend and found this: http://www.naturalpetchoice.com/prod...af534618ad681c

Anyone any thoughts on it? I'm not sure about the nettle to stimulate their appetite! These are dallies! Their appetite needs no stimulation!

Kate, I'll google - thanks.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I think with dally's you need to be careful of anything that could cause bladder/kidney stones - not sure exactly what it is that causes them but i know of several that suffer with it and have to have a diet that is not to high in whatever it is that causes it. (that's vauge and waffly isn't it!)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I've had a look in our cupboard, we have the healthy direct (I think) Glucosamine, Chrondoitin, MSM and Vit C, .
Hi Lottie, the healthy direct ones that Max has are specifically for pets. I'm sure that they are essentially the same but I think I've seen threads before that pets can't absorb human tablets (??) hopefully someone else will remember more than I can!

The healthy direct ones are a lot cheaper than the vets, the downside is that they send you brochures regularily with loads of other medicines and supplements in. I think they have finally got the message that all I want is joint supplements for my dog and not a cupboard full of other pills and potions!!
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
My middle Setter, Rusty, who is now 8.5 years old has had problems on/off with his joints and I've been giving him a Vetzyme High Strength Flexible Joint supplement for a long time now. I am never sure if they do work or whether its physcological, but Rusty does seem better. He used to have the odd wince, but touch wood he has been well for a long time.

I've included a link to the webpage and they say there is a joint care programme which I have downloaded before - hope this is of help.

http://www.petshealthcare.com/produc...&productID=203
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >