View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 09:22 PM
That's very bad, I'm sorry for your sister. Hopefully she'll have a better day tomorrow.
xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Just caught this lynn, sorry she had such a tough time. I'm sure the next time will go more smoothly. Hugs.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks again everyone I am sure next time will be ok as she will know where to go and what to do.
Spoken to Mum today and Gill is feeling very ill today and has asked no-one to ring as she cannot move from the sofa.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Hugs for her (and you).
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 09:58 AM
That's disgusting that they were made to wait like that, the staff really ought to get their act together, I would be complaining!

Perhaps her husband just cannot cope with her being ill? I guess it affects people in different ways and some people just 'collapse' a bit under stress. Hope he sorts himself out soon, she really needs the support
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Lyn, sorry your sister had to go through this and they didn't explain but that sounds like a perfectly normal chemo day to me.

Usually you get a time to be there... way before you will actually be seen.... as the nurses have a meeting before everything starts, about who is coming in today, and this can be very quick or take a long time.
Then you go to have your blood test.
Chemo is expensive, and also dangerous, and also made up to each person's specific needs. So it isn't made up until the blood test has been done to ensure a person is fit to have it. A course of chemo obviously reduces a persons immunity, and so their immunity has to be counted before each dose.

Not all chemo makes hair fall out, but she would have been told if it does as should get info sheets.
There are also oncology nurses, and one will probably be assigned to be her main nurse.
My Mum's one was great because even if I couldn't go with her for chemo I could e-mail her with any concerns.

My Mum used to be collected just after 9am, and be home at about 4pm or even later. The chemo going in only took about 45mins, and she had Herceptin which didn't take long. Its all the prep etc.
Nurses are also very busy and sometimes forget that not everyone knows the routine.

I used to avoid going with Mum to chemo if I could because if I went she just talked to me, but when she went on her own she talked with others and got more friends that way. They used to be like a group of friends meeting up every 3 weeks, with their usual chairs to sit in etc.

Things will get better.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Only just caught this thread.

What a dreadful time your sister had.
Hope she feels better soon xx
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your sister and its very bad the way she was treated at the hospital i do hope shes ok now and i hope her oh gets hes act together and helps her.Shes luckly she has you
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2