Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Great pics & video - thanks or that

Fire Hill (if it's Rumbling Bridge) isn't far from us but I've never been to one of the events.

My brother was a gamekeeper so I used to do a bit of lamping / coursing a few years back with Deerhounds & Lurchers.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes - Rumbling Bridge. I highly recommend it. The couple (Sue and Kevin Rose) are lovely hosts and all breeds are welcome (although it's mostly deerhound and lurchers, a handful of whippets, some cross-breeds, a few beagles, a standard poodle, a bassett...). It's a monthly event - normally on a Sunday, but the next one is an evening barbecue on a Friday night. It's securely fenced so quite safe. Full details of dates for the rest of 2009 here:

http://www.scottish-deerhound.com/lu...-scotland-2009

It's all managed very well, but not taken too seriously if you know what I mean. Just a great day out for everyone without any of the squabbling and politics that creeps into so many doggy activities.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Haven't tried Lure coursing before, although the other week we were at the Glen of Imaal (sp) companion show organised by someone at our ringcraft, and they had Lure racing there,( one dog at a time in the ring, and it chases the lure around in a square and it is recorded how fast the dog is running to catch the lure.)
We stood and watched it for ages, and ALL the dogs doing it all seemed to love it. There was a little Border Terrier there, that was going mental to get into the enclosure to have a go, it was so excited and caught the lure in seconds!, a tiny chi tried having a go but was more interested in piddling up the bales of hay lol
Our daughter pestered us to let Bugzy have a go, as she thought he'd like it ( I was a little concerned that he might hurt his paw or mouth on the wire that the lure wizzes round on) We were told it was safe, so she let him have a go. He recorded a speed of 12.4 mph chasing the lure and managed to catch it too
Bugzy really seemed to enjoy it, it was lovely to watch him run, Although I dont know if I would feel safe with him trying lure coursing as i'd be concerned the other dogs might not see him as they are all so intent on catching the lure and possibly splat him with there hefty great paws as they all chased the lure. lol
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Fantastic Vids! loved watch ing them! Clever beanie!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2