View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Didn't read your reply as offish at all. I think you are doing the right thing.
Becky
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Didn't read your reply as offish at all. I think you are doing the right thing.
Becky
My feeling as well
Nav
Joanna28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2008, 10:58 AM
ok thanks, sometimes it can read differently as it was meant!

JO
Ocarina
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Jo,

I also believe dogs get a tad tired of the same food stuff. However, this doesn’t mean you have to drastically change the diet every week/ month etc.

My Dudley was a fussy eating Pup but i blame this on his breeders (inexperienced RedNecks ) feeing human food treats to him as a puppy

How i combated the problem was i kept the same dry kibble but added a small amount of good quality semi-moist food. I use pouches from Wilsons Pet Store (Natural) its 60% chicken/Beef or Turkey and 40% veg, rice and oats and has a strong pleasant smell about it. Another trick I used was I heated the wet food slightly to enhance its already pleasing smell – hence make it more appealing to Dudley. This is a well known trick used predominantly in Cats and other fussy eaters but it also works very well in dogs and in fact everything think else

Dudley is still on the same diet and i change the flavour of the wet food every other day so to keep him interested.

I also recently changed his dry food kibble as the kibble i usually feed became unavailable in my local store (Dudley didn’t mind this at all)

Dudley sometimes eats a range of Human based food stuff (various meats, cheese and raw veg) but these are ‘treats’ and do not comprise of more than 5% of his overall diet.

If you start to feed your dog a range of Human based food stuff not only will they expect this diet all the time but could also lead to food preferences leading to fussy eating habits. I guess this is fine as long as you never expect them to eat anything less and you can tolerate their fussy habits.
But there are of cause a number of other problems with feeding Human food to dogs
Human food contains various fats and sugars which can lead to health problems and obesity in your dog. Also, Human food can be expensive and inconvenient at times.

Minihaha made a good point, leaving food only at meal times will help define meal time for Honey and create a healthy eating routine which should help with her overall eating patterns

Its excellent to hear that Honey is eating fine again. If you do encounter a problem in the future remember that there is an awful lot of good advice on this forum.

BTW - sorry for rantting on

Emma
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2