View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2015, 02:51 AM
DO NOT crush a pill before asking the vet if it's okay. Some pills don't work properly when crushed. Beware of the dog tossing the syringe mixture back at you, because unlike a tossed pill, there's no way to recover spit out solution.

I simply open the dogs mouth, tilt his head back, and knock the pill down his neck old school style by setting it way back on his tongue and then clamping his mouth shut quickly. He has easily swallowed entire chicken wings etc. whole so no harm. I give him a crunchy treat and lead him for a drink afterwards.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2015, 03:51 AM
I might add it takes three people to restrain Sophie...so any food you can think of is wayyy so much easier.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2015, 04:47 AM
My Bunny doesn't like pills. She's a 55 lb GSD mix. If you try to open her mouth to pill her like normal dogs, she keeps turning away and won't let you. She also spits any pill mixed with food out. Annoyed by this snobby behavior, I took to trying a different method combining the two. I get a fork or spoon and tuck the pill into a tad of wet cat food, then I guide it towards her. As she opens her mouth to get the cat food, I quickly fling it into the back of her throat, and then clamp her jaws shut. Keeps her from being able to pick the pill loose, and gets her to open her mouth so I can give it to her. Takes a tad of practice, but it works good for her. She won't choke etc as the cat food easily goes down and the pills are tiny.

Edited to add, they both hate peanut butter and won't touch it... and there's no way Nigredo is touching some smelly sardines. He HATES them. Jade may eat them but I really do not know.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2