Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Raw meaty bones, chicken wings, raw carrot are the best things to get rid of plaque. Roast bones can be very dangerous as they splinter. My dogs (raw fed) are nearly 3 now and have lovely white teeth.
I agree! However, raw chicken wings won't clean the teeth for a large dog as a couple of crunches and it will be gone!

You need a raw meaty bone appropriate for your size of dog that basically makes them knaw on it rather than chew and swallow it.

To clean front teeth it needs a lot of meat on it, for the back teeth a bit of meat on the bone is sufficient.
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I've been using Logic toothpaste & Dentastix for about 2 months & hasn't made any difference (must admit, only manage to squirt on the Logic, as can't get her used to toothbrush, but tartar build up is fairly slight anyway). Didn't know that chicken wings were good till read it here, but am a bit nervous about trying them - are they completely safe as far as splintering is concerned & is there any danger of salmonella, etc. with them being raw?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I got my dogs aged 3 and 2 and have always brushed their teeth regularly (every other day) and buy those dental chews and Cherry who died aged 10 and a half had perfect teeth and Parker aged 9 and a half has very good teeth.

I couldn't feed them bones as it upset their tummies for some reason.
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Yes, my dog's probably about 2 & so can't understand why she's got tartar on back teeth. Will have to try to persevere with the toothbrush
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by rita1 View Post
I've been using Logic toothpaste & Dentastix for about 2 months & hasn't made any difference (must admit, only manage to squirt on the Logic, as can't get her used to toothbrush, but tartar build up is fairly slight anyway). Didn't know that chicken wings were good till read it here, but am a bit nervous about trying them - are they completely safe as far as splintering is concerned & is there any danger of salmonella, etc. with them being raw?
Nothing in life is "completely safe"!

Some of us have been feeding raw meaty bones and recreational bones for 10 years or more with no issues.

Dogs lick their bottoms and various other things, so salmonella, e-coli, campylobacter, etc are ever present, in vegetables as well as bones.

They are equipped to deal with these unless they are immuno compromised.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this then you can try Fragaria, Logic, Plaque off and teeth cleaning.

I have a 6 year old and an 11 year old and neither have any plaque or tartar!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 02:05 PM
If you are dubious about using a toothbrush then you can get a finger cap with bristles on from pet shops, it does the same job but your dog may tolerate it better?

Max was two when I got him and happily accepted me brushing his teeth, in fact he enjoys it so much it is difficult to get any of his chicken tooth paste onto his teeth as he is too busy trying to lick it off the finger cap!
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Now that you've pointed it out, I suppose I should have realized that, with all their unsavoury habits, they're picking up germs all the time. I've got a finger brush, but she tries hard to keep her mouth firmly closed - she likes to keep her extremities out of bounds (hates her tail being touched), but, luckily, she's quite happy to allow me full access to all the bits inbetween! Thanks for the tips
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
We use seaweed and parsley on their food daily and they also get meaty bones to have a good old munch on which works wonders and they really enjoy too so benefits all round Just found another butcher this week who asks you to pop a few pennies in the charity tin for the bones which i am very happy to do as well...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:18 AM
I give ours those sterile white meat-filled bones (Wilkinsons have them they are less than a quid). They both chomp on them for hours, even after the filling has long gone.

Both have lovely clean teeth and only rarely get a little build up on the canines that I clean off myself.
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Marrowbones are a godsend - keep the dogs busy for hours and keep their teeth clean!

They are normally free from the butchers.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >