18-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by lizdll View Post
Child seats compulsory until children reach 135 cm or the age of 12
Children up to age of 3 must be carried in appropriate seat
Exemption for over-3s in "unexpected necessity"
Exemption if there are three children but only room for two car seats
Fine of up to £500

this is from the bbc website.
I have no idea, because from what that officer was telling me, the 135cm doesn't come in to it, i asked her to repeat her self 3 times just so i understood.

She just advised me to buy a booster seat, age 6-11 years.

She just told me that if your child is under 12 then she must have a booster seat....whether she sits in the front or the back, but she said it was safer in the back.

Now i'm well confused.

My hubby's just rang me because he's gone to pick Beth up from school, and he's had a word with the head teacher, who said this law is not very clear, he's spoken to 4 different police officers today and they've all told him a different story, so he's told my hubby to take Beth to school as normal until i can get a booster seat, and if i get fined he'll pay it.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
I have no idea, because from what that officer was telling me, the 135cm doesn't come in to it, i asked her to repeat her self 3 times just so i understood.

She just advised me to buy a booster seat, age 6-11 years.

She just told me that if your child is under 12 then she must have a booster seat....whether she sits in the front or the back, but she said it was safer in the back.

Now i'm well confused.

My hubby's just rang me because he's gone to pick Beth up from school, and he's had a word with the head teacher, who said this law is not very clear, he's spoken to 4 different police officers today and they've all told him a different story, so he's told my hubby to take Beth to school as normal until i can get a booster seat, and if i get fined he'll pay it.
i would be to we where told by the school + my sister double checked + from the news + what i can find on the the net it does matter about the height what about the local council i have read quite alot of people are confused about it all how tall is your daughter is she taller than 135cm
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:11 PM
To be honest, there has been enough warnings that this law was coming into force today, but unfortunatly, stores that sell booster seats haven't accounted for the demand

You would of thought that the police would of been a little clearer on this matter. I'm fortunate that none of my kids need booster seats, or I probably would be in the same dilema as you justlou
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:15 PM
So it even looks like the police are unclear of the rules. It makes a mockery of the whole thing.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:18 PM
ok this ones a little clearer to understand well i think so any way
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...ldcarseats.htm
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I have to be honest and say I am really surprised at the amount of people who have said they have only recently found out about this law - I have heard it numerous times in the playground, but it has been on the cards for months.

If a child is under 135cm tall they need a booster, under 3 years should have one anyway. I am constantly amazed at some parents I see who have stopped using a booster seat at a pretty young age, more than that it shocks me how many do not ensure their children wear a seatbelt! Hopefully this law will make those parents think about their childs safety.

Sorry if that was a bit harsh - child safety is up to us parents. I love my children, I want to keep them safe.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Rhianna has had a booster seat since she was about 4 and a car seat before that - I wouldn't dream of having her not strapped in in the car I would be too scared of anything happening
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
I have to be honest and say I am really surprised at the amount of people who have said they have only recently found out about this law - I have heard it numerous times in the playground, but it has been on the cards for months.

If a child is under 135cm tall they need a booster, under 3 years should have one anyway. I am constantly amazed at some parents I see who have stopped using a booster seat at a pretty young age, more than that it shocks me how many do not ensure their children wear a seatbelt! Hopefully this law will make those parents think about their childs safety.

Sorry if that was a bit harsh - child safety is up to us parents. I love my children, I want to keep them safe.
I'm afraid i have to agree with Trish I have a 4 year old and i wouldn't dream of not strapping her in a booster seat, even for a short journey, law or no law. I wouldn't just use the seatbelt as it would strangle her anyway, as far as i understand it, it is more the height of your child that is important not the age, when your child can fit safely in the seat using a seat belt, then they can ride without a booster seat.

It may be an inconvenience for some people but surely the safety of your children come first. I am surprised most parents don't already have one.

Jules

xxx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 04:30 PM
I had a car seat for my kids as babies, then they had a booster seat but i dont know what happened to them.

I always make my kids wear a seat belt.

The police are giving people 1 month to get a car seat, I've just ordered one from halfords but i have to wait up to 10 days for it.

If your child is above 4.5 foot then your o.k. Beth is 4ft
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Mine had car seats and booster seats,Our Elizabeth is 11 years and Thomas is 10,they always wear seatbelts,i am really funny about things like that.
They arn't best pleased about going back to booster seats.The government reckons it will cut the number of children getting hurt in accidents
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >