View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks For That Joe.. Just Looking Up On It... But As I Walked Out, I Dont Think I An Do Anything!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Basically constructive dismissal is when the working environs is so bad you feel you have to leave. I was getting(from one boss)continual "Well you know know what to do There are loads of people queuing up for your job(there weren't no one wanted it) If you don't like it move " In my case the boss moved but if I had left I would have gone for CD She was a pain in the butt like most of the management in the office !

If your boss made you feel so bad you had to leave you have grounds for Constructive Dismissal
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
In terms of the potential deduction due to 'holiday', it would appear to be similar to cases of overpayment.

In order to show that an overpayment is not recoverable, then the employee must demonstrate three things. Firstly, it must be shown that the overpayment was the fault of the company and not the employee. Secondly, it must have been reasonable for the employee not to know that they were being overpaid. Thirdly, the employee must have acted to their disadvantage or the assumption that the payment of salary was correct (for example by spending the money!). The most common difficulty for employees is the second condition since it is often obvious when an overpayment has occurred. It is not acceptable for an employee to assume that they have received a substantial increase in pay unless there is some reason to believe that this is the case.

The Employment Rights Act 1996 provides that it will not be an illegal deduction from wages to recover an overpayment from salary. This means that an employer is not prevented from deducting the overpayment from future wages or salary provided that this is done reasonably over a period of time and not done in such a way as to amount to a breach of trust and confidence in the employment relationship. The interesting point about the Employment Rights Act is that overpayments can be recovered from future wages whether or not the overpayment itself is recoverable from the employee on the basis of the three point test set out above.
So, they can hypothetically recover the overpayment from future salary. However, I don't understand how they can take the money away from your bank account once it is there

The ACAS definition of Constructive Dismissal is:

... where the employer's conduct can be regarded as a substantial breach of the employment contract, indicating that he or she intends no longer to be bound by the contract. In these circumstances the employee is entitled to terminate their employment without giving notice. In any tribunal claim of constructive dismissal the employee must show that the employer's action amounted to a fundamental breach of contract.
With regard to bullying, the TUC says:

Employers have a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 to ensure the health, safety and welfare of their employees. If they do not do this they are breaching an individual’s contract of employment. It may also be a breach of sexual harassment and racial discrimination legislation as well as the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. Employers and/or the bully may find themselves facing fines, compensation and possibly a jail sentence.
Taken together with the ACAS definition, the company failed to protect the safety & welfare of their employee under the H&S at work Act, thereby breaching your conract of employment. As breach of contract of employment at that level should be taken to be a substantial breach i.e constructive dismissal.

However, you need corroboration/proof of the bullying.

You need to make a claim to an employment tribunal within 3 months of the date of your dismissal. An application form for this (IT1) is available from job centres or unemployment benefit offices, CABs, law centres etc.

Notify your previous work place that you intend to pursue constructive dismissal though an employment tribunal - they may come to a settlement before it comes to the tribunal. However, if a few of you get together enough evidence, you may do better with going through with the tribunal.

Finally, although I am fairly sure you have a case, I am not a lawyer, so seek definitive advice from your union or CAB.
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2005, 07:21 PM
thanks for that. have recently been told that it was due to them retracting the holiday pay, which is fair enuf, but theyve taken the whole lot! which is for mortgage etc!! u know how it is. and they are now working out what im actually owed and shud receive a cheque at the end of the month. which is useless to me! i just think they somehow shouldve just took back what was theirs or notified me, instead of what has happened. the management have made no effort to contact me upon leaving and any correspondence i have received has been via text messages thru other employees!! telling me what is going on!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Still think you should take them on. In this day and age bullying at work shouldn't be taking place. Besides which, the benefits include at least one month's salary (in lieu of notice), compensation for depleting your bank account (anxiety caused, bank charges etc), 1 month's lost interest and the thought that you have done some good by removing bullying from at least one work place.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2