View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 07:52 AM
The vet checked him out and said he is ok, she pressed on his stomach and he had the biggest wee i had ever seen all over the table but then he was jumping around like a loony!!!

She said he might've had a bit of trouble but seems to be alright now but i just need to keep an eye on him.

This morning he's been 3 times already and is running about like his usual self so hopefully he's all better.

Thank you all for your concern
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Good to hear he is jumping around and happy again!

I wonder why he didnt wee without the press on the tummy?
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm glad to hear he is ok now, i was worrie about the little man I wonder what was wrong
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Even the vet didnt know. I think he might be scared to wee
We dont punish him if he goes on the floor we just put his nose near the puddle and put him on the paper, he doesnt get shouted at or smacked! And we praise him when he goes on the paper.
We have started using puppy pads and i covered them over this morning with paper and he is happy to go on there now so maybe he didnt like the pads
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Relieved to hear he is ok Sanchez
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by sanchez
We dont punish him if he goes on the floor we just put his nose near the puddle and put him on the paper, he doesnt get shouted at or smacked! And we praise him when he goes on the paper.
We have started using puppy pads and i covered them over this morning with paper and he is happy to go on there now so maybe he didnt like the pads

Hi Sanchez glad your puppy is ok, retained urine can become a serious problem leading to bladder and kidney infections and it should always be taken seriously.

I would not 'put his nose near the puddle' ,your puppy will not understand this action and may view it as a punishment .

I really don't see the point of pads or newspaper , you are just adding an extra step to the houstraining because you will eventually have to teach the puppy to go outside and he will be used to newspaper ...is there some reason you can't go outside?

If for instance you are in a tenth floor flat, really can't get outside and have to use newspaper, treat using it the same as you would when teaching a puppy to relieve itself outside. This means watching the puppy like a hawk and as soon as he indicates the wish to relieve himself by circling/sniffing the ground/every hour/after sleep, play, excitement gently take him to the paper and say 'be clean' as he performs give lots of praise and a treat .

If he has an accident clean it with biological washing powder and ignore the event....

Here is an article on houstraining...

Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I am glad he is ok and back to his normal self!

Originally Posted by sanchez
There is no need to put his nose near the puddle it will not help at all and may be whats causing him to be too scared to wee! Do you have a garden? Some people find training onto paper then outside confuses the puppy and it is easier to train straight to going outside, although there are also people who succesfully train to paper first particually if they dont have imediate access to a secure garden!
I personally trained my pup to go straight outside, I did this by taking him out every half hour, after every meal, drink and sleep and everytime he looked like he was going to go (found early on he does a funny walk when he needs to go! ) ignored whenever he had an accident and really praised going outside he picked it up quick! The main thing is any accidents in the house have to be cleaned so they dont smell at all to the dog or he will keep going there, products with amonia in will encourage him to repeatedly wee in the same place there are products in pet shops that will eliminate all smell to the dog or I just used diluted washing powder.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Sanchez glad your puppy is ok, retained urine can become a serious problem leading to bladder and kidney infections and it should always be taken seriously.

I would not 'put his nose near the puddle' ,your puppy will not understand this action and may view it as a punishment .

I really don't see the point of pads or newspaper , you are just adding an extra step to the houstraining because you will eventually have to teach the puppy to go outside and he will be used to newspaper ...is there some reason you can't go outside?

If for instance you are in a tenth floor flat, really can't get outside and have to use newspaper, treat using it the same as you would when teaching a puppy to relieve itself outside. This means watching the puppy like a hawk and as soon as he indicates the wish to relieve himself by circling/sniffing the ground/every hour/after sleep, play, excitement gently take him to the paper and say 'be clean' as he performs give lots of praise and a treat .

If he has an accident clean it with biological washing powder and ignore the event....

Here is an article on houstraining...
Oops I took so long replying you beat me too it!
Mini is far mor knowledgeable then me on these maters I am still learning along the way and have had lots of valuable advice from her myself so I would take her advice over mine Sanchez although I think it is similar!
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Well i work all day and so my partner is with him in the flat. We are on the first floor but my partner is disabled and so is unable to leave the flat alone. I am home at lunch times but if he should be taken out every hour it is just impossible to do that.
Once we can walk him (this weekend) i will take him out in the morning, at lunch time and when i get home then before bed.
I will stop putting his nose in it and just put him on the paper and say 'be clean' i will get on OH to do this too.
Thanks for all your advice, i sometimes think it was wrong of us to get him with my OH being so ill but he needed company and he is really good with him. He is able to follow him around the house but is too scared to leave home alone, even to go to the communal gardens
SusanW
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Glad the pup is all better

I seem to get my pup's in the winter and the only time I dont let them out for the toilet is when it's too windy (dont want the pup flying away ) or when the snow is too deep . I alway's take it outside and walk away from him if he start's to climb my legs,,as soon and he's does the toilet, loads of praise and straight back into the house ,,,If the bitch that Robbie lined has a boy ,,I will be getting him at the end of October and I know, who will be outside in the rain house traing him

All the best Susan
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >