Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 09:32 PM
i feel so sorry for anyone caught up in all this
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-01-2005, 12:55 AM
I have to confess that Snorri Mansions was generally undamaged, because it lies about 64 metres (approximately 200 feet) above sea level, but because it is almost at the top of a hill, it catches everything the weather can throw at it! Orkney houses are, however, built to survive wind - if something blows down, we just put it back up a bit stronger!

A former Director of Technical Services for our Council once said "We don't have a wind problem here - anything that can blow away has already gone!"

BBC Scotland news carried footage and interviews from Stromness, our other main town; it is built in part on a constructed frontage, IN the sea. I understand that a great deal of it has suffered extensive water damage and that some of the folks who lost a lot had no insurance

I've seen it rough up here before, but never as bad as this has been - locals are saying it's the worst since 1930! Of course, none of the ferries were running, so the food shops are poorly stocked now, so Mrs S and I postponed our usual Thursday shopping trip until tomorrow - it's supposed to be quiet by then!

Snorri
(refreshed by excessive fresh air)
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Unfortunately 3 people died in Carlisle due to the weather . Some still have no electricity but the water has now gone down leaving behind a massive clean up job and worries for peoples health. This is a link to pictures taken during the floods
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/photos/...p;category=470
Carlisle hit the headlines but Cockermouth and Keswick also suffered flooding and then various roads were closed due to fallen trees.All in all quite a week.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the kind regards and yes it has been hell in Carlisle for the past week. I live in the denton holme area which was also hit but the community spirit has kept us all sane. Sadly we are still trying to sort out some of the dogs and cats affected in the area since it will be upto 6 months before they can return to their homes.
My deepest sympathy goes out to those who lost loved one's in the tragedy. 2 elderly ladies drowned in carlisle and a man was crushed under his barn. In scotoland, a family of 5 died.
It will be months before many of us get over this. In carlisle, we still have no police station or fire station and the civic centre is still being cleaned up. We now have power to most areas so we have petrol and supplies coming through now.

bbc radio cumbria I have to say were a lifeline to civilisation for all of us. If it weren't for the radio, none of us would have known what was going on.

One thing's for sure, I will never take a hot meal and bath for granted ever again

Glad to hear our scottish friends are OK too
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Glad to hear you are ok Amanda hope things improve for you soon
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2