Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
dogs breed: Miniature Pinschers

food type/make: Human grade raw meats/Bones/Offal and tripe

daily exercise : They run around like mad things in the house all day, and are taken on a walk over fields or around the estate daily as well.

how long you have been using that brand: Both Min Pins were raised on raw feeding from being weaned by their breeder.

and why you chose the brand: They were raised on it, and after researching into it, I decided to switch all my dogs over to raw feeding, so I could monitor exactly what I was putting into their bodies.

dogs breed: Boxer

food type/make: Human grade Raw meats and Bones, and Tripe

daily exercise: Varies but at least 1 long walk a day.

how long you have been using that brand: Since she was 3 months old ( shes now 20 months old)

and why you chose the brand: I switched all my dogs over to raw feeding at the same time.

anything else:
It's always good to watch the dogs really enjoying their meals.
After loosing some of my Dobermann's to cancer, I started to worry about chemicals in the food being a cause for cancers, So I researched into Raw feeding and Decided as long as I could work out the balance ok, then I would feel better knowing exactly what my dogs were eating, and making sure that there were no added chemicals/preservatives going into their food.
It was tricky at first to work out exactly what percentage of bones/meat/offal etc to feed a week, but now its just like second nature, and I dont weigh the food out, I just go by eye.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
your all stars -thank you

so many brands!!!

Can anyone tell me what ideally a dog like millie sholud have content wise in her food??? (proteins/fats etc) as i really dont understand it all!!!

agility once a week classes (once a weekat home)- exercise is approx 1.5 hours daily but mostly running as nick has to slow walk...

shes springerxcollie btw and weighs 23(isit kg???)... she looks in good condition - can feel her ribs but not see them so all is good there.....

any help regarding proteins/fats/oil etccc contents in food welcome...... as im sick of standing in pets at home for 40 mins at a time trying to work it all out (yes i did )
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Shady
dogs breed: Rottie x GSD 43kg

food type/make: Chappie with mixer

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: approx 1.5 hrs a day with at least 30 minutes fast and furious frisbee playing.

how long you have been using that brand: About 18 months

and why you chose the brand: Because Shady kept having constant tummy upsets and cystitis and crystals in her urine. Chappie has sorted all these problems out.

anything else: She rarely has treats and then they are just some Science diet ZD perscription biscuits as a reward.

Milo
dogs breed: Jack Russell Terrier 8.2kg

food type/make: Nature diet

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: Approx 1.5 hours

how long you have been using that brand: 3 years

and why you chose the brand: Milo is terribbly allergic to all foods and external allergens. He becomes anemic and bleeds internally when he gets bad. Naturediet chicken or lamb is all he can manage.

anything else: No treats at all as they make him very ill.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
your all stars -thank you

so many brands!!!

Can anyone tell me what ideally a dog like millie sholud have content wise in her food??? (proteins/fats etc) as i really dont understand it all!!!

agility once a week classes (once a weekat home)- exercise is approx 1.5 hours daily but mostly running as nick has to slow walk...

shes springerxcollie btw and weighs 23(isit kg???)... she looks in good condition - can feel her ribs but not see them so all is good there.....

any help regarding proteins/fats/oil etccc contents in food welcome...... as im sick of standing in pets at home for 40 mins at a time trying to work it all out (yes i did )
Well, what are you feeding now and is there a reason you want to change?

Any good quality adult maintenance food should suit her just fine really. I wouldn't stress too much about protein and fats as adult maintenance foods are designed for 'average' pet dogs in mind. Just read up on a couple of brands you like the sound of (most of the suggestions here are great) and ask for some samples and go from there.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Tilly:
SBT, approx 17kg,

nature diet and Arden Grange.

Walks up to 3 hours per day, plus chases a ball and plays with Bryan.

Been feeding nature diet about 2 weeks, arden Grange about 18 months.

She was on Arden Grange when we got her as a foster from Dog's Trust. I was recommended nature diet and she seems to like it.

Bryan:
PRT, approx 10kg

Raw, prey model diet

Exercise same as Tilly

Been feeding raw about 2 years, he doesn't like commercial dog food
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well, what are you feeding now and is there a reason you want to change?

Any good quality adult maintenance food should suit her just fine really. I wouldn't stress too much about protein and fats as adult maintenance foods are designed for 'average' pet dogs in mind. Just read up on a couple of brands you like the sound of (most of the suggestions here are great) and ask for some samples and go from there.

well she was on beta light as she was a fat sod and doing nothing

shes now doing agility...going to get farr more exericise from me...

and because nicks now on senior rather than light...

she can stay on light if needby but i just figured because shes exercising more - active wolud be better???
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
well she was on beta light as she was a fat sod and doing nothing

shes now doing agility...going to get farr more exericise from me...

and because nicks now on senior rather than light...

she can stay on light if needby but i just figured because shes exercising more - active wolud be better???
Most pet dogs probably don't need to be on 'active' or 'working' formulas unless they are very active. I consider a dog that gets a couple of hours of exercise to be average, and pretty much all pets fall under this category. Also, if your girl is prone to weight gain, a food that is higher in fat ('active/working' foods are!) won't be best suited to her.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
dogs breed: Irish Terrier and Patterdale terrier

food type/make: Burns chicken and rice dried complete

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: 2 walks - one free running on the beach for the Irish terrier; lots of energetic play between the two dogs.

how long you have been using that brand: 3.5 years for the Irish terrier (all her life), 3 weeks for the Patty (since we got him)

and why you chose the brand: To steal somebody else's (fluffybland's) words, it's uncomplicated. It was actually my mum who put me onto it, and it came very highly recommended by her dogs' breeder, as not triggering their westie skin problems, because it doesn't have stupidly high protein. It's also highly commended by our vets, who all use it for their own dogs. And last but not least, I think they try harder with the welfare of their livestock than most, which is very important to me.

anything else:
these are two VERY active dogs , but I wouldn't consider having them on high energy food. I really think that's for special cases. If your dogs have been on a weightloss diet, it may take you a while to work out hw much they need to eat for maintenance, but as long as you're keeping an eye on their condition, you can adjust as necessary. Actually, we have to modulate Bongo's food every few months, depending on the weather and everything. If she looks a bit ribby, we up the dose. If she starts to look too solid, we cut it back a bit. Every time we take her to the vet, we get a pat on the back for keeping her in good nick If yours have lost all the weight they need to, put them on the standard food, rather than "active" or "light", and see how you go from there.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
dogs breed: BCs 2yrold & 6 yrold

food type/make: Genesis, working Dog

http://www.genesispetfood.co.uk/splashalt/

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: Active walks, Training requireing Phyiscal effort Effort & Long attention

how long you have been using that brand: 4 years

and why you chose the brand: Only Thing i can get flynn to eat

anything else: Quite Expensive, but works out quite cheap, have to order it directly
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Most pet dogs probably don't need to be on 'active' or 'working' formulas unless they are very active. I consider a dog that gets a couple of hours of exercise to be average, and pretty much all pets fall under this category. Also, if your girl is prone to weight gain, a food that is higher in fat ('active/working' foods are!) won't be best suited to her.
oh nooooo lol

i give up i really do its sooooo confusing

i'll give her amonth on this.... the new problem we have now is the mil pulling my mums arms out of her sockets
(lively)..... whether thats the other food we tried her on (pedigree natural - we were swapping her over then decided against it)

arghhhhhhhhh

thanks for the help and the replies
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >