Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 08:48 PM
BJ,that's heartbreaking
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 09:27 PM
BlueJay that is so sad. However, really you shouldn't be too hard on yourself because so many dogs eat all manner of things that they shouldn't and never even suffer an upset tum.

Tang, it's not only the stray dogs is it - not so very long ago most dogs were fed on scraps from the table as a matter of course, and I am sure that nobody differentiated between stew with onions or without etc. Mind you, we don't know how many pets suffered and died as a result

I do know that our last dog, amongst other things, ate:

l whole chocolate cake.
l complete tray of frozen garlic bread slices
l tray of mince tarts
l box of Belgian chocolates

(not all at the same time obviously, and before anyone thinks that we were inordinately careless, she was exceptionally adept at reaching out of reach things in the kitchen, in about two seconds flat while one blinked or something.)

She never even had the grace to be sick. Let alone develop anything horrible, and she lived to a very very ripe old age.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Oh BJ that is so sad for you x
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2013, 12:46 AM
I've read that chocolate is bad for dogs. Then I later read in another article that it's the amount the dog gets at one time that makes it poisonous. I occasionally let Pearl lick the ice cream bowl or let her have a tiny bit of milk chocolate with no ill affects as she really loves chocolate. My other dogs don't care about it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Further reading seems to confirm that with garlic it is the amount that is relevant. Apparently garlic capsules made from garlic oil and contain very little garlic.

Bluejay I can imagine how you felt but there are so many nogo foods that humans eat with no probs but damage dogs - you won't have been the only one this happened to. Until recent years it was only choklit I'd heard of.

When I was raising my kids I was told some stuff like Ice cream and chocolate was harmful before they were about 1 because kidneys not mature enough to cope. I still see people giving ice cream to very young babies. No idea if thinking has changed.

And decades ago was told that saving the scraps during the day and giving as part of dog's dinner was a good way to make sure they got a good mixed diet. But back then I don't recall hearing about scientifically balanced whole food. I and many others assumed content of Dog food was mainly rubbish and probably thought the scraps had more nutrition!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Ollie never had and Dillon doesn't get grapes or chocolate or onions. Ollie had a small clove of fresh garlic every day minced in his food he never suffered from fleas for the 41/2 years of his life. He never needed chemical flea treatments either.
Dillon gets a clove of fresh garlic 2-3 times a week minced in his food.
I believe the garlic is the amount and the relation to weight of the dog that you have to be careful with.
Bella99
New Member!
Female 

01-09-2013, 12:57 PM
It does seem like the list is getting longer but it is good to know as there are many things listed I did not have a clue about. Many thanks.
carolvs
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2013, 10:44 AM
I knew about the chocolate but didn't realise about onions
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Trouble with all these warnings sincee internet started is they take on a life of their own and scare the bejeses out of peoplewhich Ialways worry affects how people can think calmly and efficiently if dog eats these things . for example like tang says their is differnce between whoje raw onion and some stew. for example milk chocolate in small fdoses may not have any bad effects as its specifically threobromine in cocoa which in turn is higher in dark chocolate even then its grams per kilo of dog. even corn on cob whilst dangerous to cause a blockage if your dog is slow calm eater and chewed well less likely tohave obstructove bits cobs . so on so forth. Just saying learn and be aware of the warnings but just be aware of the specifics so ifsomething wrong gets eaten you have an opportunity to see things. see the bigger picture and not panic too much
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2