Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
If by keyhole you mean removal of the ovaries (ovarioectomy) then no, pyo is not a risk once sterilisation has taken place - there was a study on it:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

I assume the pyo must be hormone related - and the removal of the ovaries stops this.
That's worth knowing. Do you know if the dog is less likely to suffer from incontinence afterwards with an ovarioectomy?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Now I'm in two minds myself about this then!!! I might go for the keyhole option if they could GUARANTEE my dog won't get pyometra then, but to me, if something is there, it's open to infection, and to me, the womb is the risk of infection with pyo and yet it IS still there?
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Now im confused
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
That's worth knowing. Do you know if the dog is less likely to suffer from incontinence afterwards with an ovarioectomy?
Well, vets say there's no difference to this risk, however the incontinence issue has been linked to the urethra being "nicked" or somehow shortened during the procedure which to my mind would simply be impossible with the keyhole procedure.

That's my reasoning anyway!

Helena - don't quote me but I'm fairly sure pyo is hormone related, and if so, it really would be a non-factor.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm definitely going to chat to my vet about this keyhole surgery now, coz it sounds much less intrusive for the dog and if the result is the same then why not? Probably more expensive maybe? If that's the only bad news, then it's definitely going to be for me! How about you then Jem???!!!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree to be honest H

If it takes away any chance of pyo im all for it x
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I've looked up Pyometra in my book and it does say it occurs around a month after the end of a heat cycle and it is from the increase in progesterone ready for the expected fetuses that increases the susceptibility to the infection.

It says it can also be caused by the injection of estrogen compound that they use to incite abortions (mis-mate shots) as the extra estrogen increases the effect of the progesterone.

So in my mind that confirms removal of the ovaries = no more heat cycles = no more pyometra.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the idea of the key hole surgery too, after Toro having that big op there it has really put me off putting her through a big procedure to spey her...
My shar pei had a wound the size of her belly button when she was done years ago, I was surprised , it was a different vet to the one that did my GSD she had a huge wound after it, but healed and was more settled than suki was after hers, maybe suki was just too spoilt !
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I did read in a magazine that covered the whole keyhole surgery stuff and it said there is a lot less chance of them being made incontinent and it also said it stops the risk of pyo.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
P.s. when my cat was spayed she had a wound about half an inch long but she is a tiny cat.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2