View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Doesn't the GA vary with the size of dog?

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
A good Vet will only need one plate Jackbox. Thing is, the more they stuff it up the more they charge you!
On each hip surely

Agree the more they have to do if they stuff it up,then the more expensive it would be.

But still dont think, 100 is expensive for both hips to be done, along with the GA, administrative costs and so on.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id be horrified if I was charged over £100 for a quick GA!
Heehee never move down here then...a simple castration down here for a dog of Kiba's size is £300+ if you're willing to go to the vets who ask "How is she" every time you walk through the door and "Hope to see you soon" when you've just had your dog pts (which I am not). And just a couple of weeks ago I paid £45 for a consultation and tiny tube of Fuciderm for a skin infection. Extortion is the name of the game down here.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your replies

I had a very good vet in Lincolnshire that would do it under sedation only, you could stay with your dog with they injected him/her, then wait in the waiting room whilst they took the x-rays. This vet does a lot of English Setters from near and far, I am tempted to travel to him as I really don't want Hen to have another GA if I can help it, not for something that is just for my benefit anyway.

Plus, I trust this vet, he saw me through Brambles c-section and all the problems with that litter, all my dogs were hip-scored by him with the exception of Tyler who needed a lump removed so it was all done at the same time at my local vet as we had moved by then.

I wasn't sure how much the BVA charges were these days, I think £50 is reasonable considering how much everything else has gone up.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thanks for your replies

I had a very good vet in Lincolnshire that would do it under sedation only, you could stay with your dog with they injected him/her, then wait in the waiting room whilst they took the x-rays. This vet does a lot of English Setters from near and far, I am tempted to travel to him as I really don't want Hen to have another GA if I can help it, not for something that is just for my benefit anyway.

Plus, I trust this vet, he saw me through Brambles c-section and all the problems with that litter, all my dogs were hip-scored by him with the exception of Tyler who needed a lump removed so it was all done at the same time at my local vet as we had moved by then.

I wasn't sure how much the BVA charges were these days, I think £50 is reasonable considering how much everything else has gone up.

This is pretty much what my vet did
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your replies

This is what I would have done if I wasn't already having Kiba put under GA anyway. I'd have driven up to Essex to have this done with the vet that Kiba's breeder uses, just for the peace of mind that it was being done properly.

Sounds like a good idea. It's great to find a vet you can trust, but not so great when they work hours and hours away and absolutely horrible to have to settle on 'second best'.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
This is pretty much what my vet did
I just wish I could find someone closer to home that would do it like that, all the enquiries I've made have led me to believe that GA is the only option. It's a 2 hour journey to Lincs from here, not a problem going but I would want to get Hen back home and comfortable as soon as possible afterwards.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
This is what I would have done if I wasn't already having Kiba put under GA anyway. I'd have driven up to Essex to have this done with the vet that Kiba's breeder uses, just for the peace of mind that it was being done properly.

Sounds like a good idea. It's great to find a vet you can trust, but not so great when they work hours and hours away and absolutely horrible to have to settle on 'second best'.
Ooh whereabouts in Essex, that is nearer and we could stay at my parents in need
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:10 PM
One plate should be suffice Jackbox, its an x-ray of the hips, not each hip.

The GA will depend on size, but theoretically, it should be a VERY short time if they get it right first time.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Ooh whereabouts in Essex, that is nearer and we could stay at my parents in need
http://www.vetcall.uk.com/index.php

I believe it's these guys, in Chingford.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >