View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2016, 02:32 PM
LG. DC is certainly a brave little soul taking on Gypsy. You'd think she would learn, still pleased all is forgotten now or least hope it is.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2016, 04:42 PM
I know Gypsy is spayed, but maybe DC coming into season because that always makes the situation between girls very tense. Usually its just a lot of noise and soggy necks so if they were actually drawing blood its serious stuff.
Glad to hear they are now curled up together, until the next time of course
I have been out and I have done some Christmas Shopping, how good is that eh
Chase is on in a minute, mug of tea is called for with biccies of course
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2016, 04:50 PM
omg, i think i would die if mine drew blood, pleased they are friends now
yay for you TW, just have to do the wrapping now lol
brenda, don't blame you sticking with what you know
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Gypsy and Danger Curls have had an almighty bust up (over a rat which Gyp had murdered and DC wanted) I've been expecting a full blown row between those two for a couple of years now. They were some distance from me so by the time I managed to intervene there had been considerable damage done. Both are full of head and neck puncture wounds but none are truly serious, had I not been there I suspect I'd have been digging a hole for DC as old Gyp was definitely winning.
They have both been bathed and sprayed with Septi-clense (once dry) and are now curled up together as if nothing had happened at all. I must keep a very close watch on them for a day or two just to ensure that peace has properly broken out! lol ! The trouble being that Gyp is at least 5 times the size of DC, but the terrier has a temper like a Tasmanian Devil and just won't stop, whereas Gyp will desist when ordered.
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I know Gypsy is spayed, but maybe DC coming into season because that always makes the situation between girls very tense. Usually its just a lot of noise and soggy necks so if they were actually drawing blood its serious stuff.
I'm always interested in this type of clash. It seems to me that size is of no consequence when a dogs genes tell it to fight for what's right. Terriors being renowned for this. Baruska & Rianna were both speyed and in nearly nine years they never had more than minor play fights, never any blood drawn (Apart from accidental fang on ear one time)

Blood drawn is definately more serious but would Gypsy have actualy murdered DC Since they are all part of the same pack do you think she would have gone that far

If they are now curled up together it sounds like a case of furious action but not really a fight to the death. We were told in the early days that two bitches can fight to the death but never ever saw any evidence in the Baruska / Rianna relationship. Mind you (As I may have mentioned before) When Rianna arrived as an 8 week old puppy Bara made sure that she (Rianna) knew who was boss, and she (Rianna) was savvy enough to always be the No.2 in the pack (Alena & I of course were Nos.3 & 4 )

June, you have five girls, they all seems to get on OK apart from minor skirmishes, I guess that always being around them nearly all the time helps
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2016, 06:56 PM
They have their own pecking order which I never interfere with, when I am there then I run the show, at the moment Kesh is taking over from Cariad and there is a bit of tension, but neck injuries mean serious stuff. Face and ear bites is to mark them to show they don't cross the line, once it gets to throats though it means the line was crossed and Armeggedon is here
Zen has suffered a cut above her eye and I've noticed someone has been bitten on their bum or tail, thats like a warning, they have their status quo and you mustn't attempt to change it because it just doesn't work for a start and if you decide your favourite should be leader and reinforce that decision, the proper leader will take real umbrage at that and you've got a mess on your hands, behind your back, so its a done deal by the time you discover it.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Evening
Moyer it's Brenda's daughter that's traveling on the train & the other one living in America I hope you are feeling better & your cold is going now
LG glad DC & Gypsy are now friends again, I know Rosie is a grumpy mare & hates other dogs round her whilst in season.
Well done TW on having done Christmas shopping, just wrapping now lol
I've got a few parcels being delivered in the next day or so, then I think I've done well except for wrapping
Glad your feeling a little better Griff
Brenda don't blame you sticking with the tablet you know, I'm same
Right I'm off to put kettle on
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Harvey - I think that the outcome of fights between kennel mates is very dependant on type or breed of dog. I won't go into details about the lurchers on line as I have no intention of upsetting members, but they are very big, fast dogs, very tough and capable of taking prey as large as deer. Foxes are no problem at all. So when they eventually get their "dander up" as they say in the States they will stick to their task until the opposition has stopped moving. So the result of a serious fight being allowed to run it's course would be a very sad one.
As I said earlier Gypsy will stop if I order her to do so and I did so three times, she duly obeyed and let go of DC who she had hold of around the neck and was shaking her. This would have been the end of it but the second Gyp let DC go the terrier flew straight back at her and went straight for her throat, so it started all over again. Only my physical intervention brought it to an end. The thing that saved DC's life was the fact that Fell terriers have immensely thick hide around their neck and shoulders, which stopped the big puncture wounds turning into rips when she was being shaken. They have been bred like this deliberately as their original use was for killing foxes underground, occasioning severe wounds to both their face and neck in the process, so a thick hide was imperative. Pound for pound Fells and their close relatives Lakelands are the toughest dogs I've ever come across, they would have to be mortally wounded to leave any combat.
My apologies to anyone who finds this post offensive but it is an attempt to fully answer Losos's question. I have stuck to what is my considered opinion and neither elaborated nor gone into gory detail. Only a brief description of the animals involved and their character traits is given as a background to the actual event, to make it, in my view more understandable.
June I've never had any problems with any of my bitches as regards seasonal friction the only problems over the years have come about as a result of prey possession, oddly, I have never witnessed a fight over food. I have a preference for working bitches and I only ever keep 1 male dog on the place. The trouble inevitably comes when you start mixing lurchers and terriers in a working scenario. The temperaments are so different that you have to be continually on your guard.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Intersting turn of events having owned Staffordshire Bull Terriers since the mid 1970's I have to say I myself will never have two bitches at the same time ever again. The saying dogs fight for breeding rights bitches fight for breathing rights is true in the SBT when umbage is taken, there is no going back. You can as Gordon has just said be "continually on your guard"
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Mine seem to jog along well most of the time, but once they start working round to a season the air is thick with PMT and that is when most of the friction takes place. They'll stop when I shout OY, and retreat, sometimes they'll go back at each other, but they know when I've had enough and don't push. No objection to play fighting, sometimes gets a bit serious if they all want the same ball, despite 2 or 3 of exactly the same type and colour being available. Nothing like the Gypsy DC scenario at all, but the role they have been bred for over hundreds of years dictates their reactions to certain events
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Harvey - I think that the outcome of fights between kennel mates is very dependant on type or breed of dog.
Gordon, very much appreciate your detailed explanation. It makes sense to me and I've learned a little more.

We've only ever had two breeds, Labrador (A very long time ago) and now Newfoundlands. Fell terriers and Lurchers are completely outside my knowledge ('tho slightly less so after your input)

It's very hard on a public forum to know how much to report, this mission of Zuckerberg and the other 'boy racer' technology kids from California to 'bring the world together' completely ignores the cultural and traditional aspect of people and therefore when writing about two breeds of dogs it is likely a whole raft of people from all sorts of countries will wade in with comments just because the technology is there they probably don't have Lurchers or Fell Terriers but that won't stop them

Hope it doesn't happen but it might, just wanted to forewarn you of course those of us who know your past life also know you will not be concerned
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >