Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by BigGSD111 View Post
No not at all really, just good old common sense pack leadership.
Though I have just bought a bag of teats and a clicker.
Well yes she does, but only when outside, on my property she is awesome with me.

Do you think by me playing with her on her level, i.e. rolling round on the floor and giving her hugs, makes her think im not pack leader?
And there in lies your problem... forget "pack leader"
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I would watch your dad and see what he does, sounds like she thinks she is expected to behave in a certain way when you take her out. Be more like your dad.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And there in lies your problem... forget "pack leader"

no touch, no talk, no eye contact... sorry, couldn't resist!

i agree with the others, forget the pack leader stuff and have some fun with your dog.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2009, 01:06 PM
My GSD spent the first year of her life in doors, the woman who owned her couldnt get out the house. The police didn't want her as she was too friendly and more suited to be a house pet.
This could be part of the problem, she assoiates men with outdoors & perhaps something on your first walk has clicked her mind into this state. Just start again encouraging fun on a really short walk I'm sure she'll get over this.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi,

Forget all the "pack-leader" stuff. If she's obedient then she sees you as the boss anyway otherwise she wouldn't do as asked. although I do thknk you have a way to go to build that trust and respect you need for her to know she can "be herself" on a walk.

When your Dad takes her out, do you go along too? If not, maybe you should just to see what it is that he's doing differently to you.

If on the walk is the only time she's subdued, then have you tried to think of what you're doing differently. Are you speaking to her differently, handling her differently? etc My dogs go loopy when they know it's walkies time but I make sure the walks are fun. We may do a few minutes training ona walk but not any more than that. Walks are for sniffing out new smells, playing with a ball, chasing squirrels in the park etc.

GSDs are the most loving and gentle dogs I've ever known - even those I've had as rescue dogs who are aggressive to begin with. Once you get over this one obstacle, you'll have a great tim with her and she'll enjoy her walks more.

Laura xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2