View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 06:31 PM
People are pretty relaxed in Cornwall - I generally call mine back becasue (although they are fine) often they seem intimidating - especially if it is just one dog.
Most people just allow thier dogs to run up and mix but I tend to walk in open spaces and if people are worried they can see me coming for a while and have time to get out of the way
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2009, 06:34 PM
My youngest rott is overly friendly and will completely ignore me if she sees another dog because she just wants to play. I do let her off lead but only in open areas where I can spot a dog coming and get her back on lead before it gets too close and she runs towards it. Without another dog around her recall is perfect! I take her along to training classes mainly to get her to get used to being around other dogs and not always playing with them and it really is helping (we've only had her a couple of months and have had to start from scratch with her training)

I did have a dog-aggressive crossbreed a few years ago and I kept him on lead. I used to get so cross with other peoples dogs running up to him completely out of control.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Don't have a problem with mine re Recall, they never go that far from me anyway but will come back on first call so i'm pretty lucky i guess
Have any of you that are teaching your dogs recall with distraction ie other dogs about considered putting your dogs on a long line until they are reliable to return to you, at least that way, they have freedom, but you still have control and less likely to get shouted at by other dog walkers that don't understand you are trying to train

Jann
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Ollie is a bit of a mixed bag really, he is ok with some dogs and I Know most of the dogs where I walk so I do not have to worry too much but with others he can be a bit grumpy he doesn't like staffies or any breed that comes up to him with too much confidence (any breed) he will then have a go.
He has always been walked on a harness and long line and this works really well I can stop him if I meet dogs I do not know and keep him under control and it does seem to be a deterrent to other dog walkers we do not know so they tend to put their dogs on lead or keep away from us.
He is a big dog and mostly black so this also works in my favour as I do not want him to be seen as a big scary dog he is not good with strangers so I am always confident I have him under my control, which I feel is best for his safety and others.
As he has got older he is 3 in June he is learning to sit and wait and then if I tell him he can go play he does but he is learning to wait for my command the Bernese is very slow for learning.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 07:04 PM
We go by the rule of "if theirs is off the lead then ours stays off" as well. Monty's recall is not the best and i'll be the first to admit that but he does do recall on occasions and perfectly at home. The only way I can get him better at it whilst out is to trust him and practice it.

He's getting better and most of the time will ignore other dogs if i tell him to leave and we walk past. The other thing he does when I call him back is stop and wait until i've caught him up then he runs on a little bit. Annoys me but at least he waits and nine out of ten times I can grab him at this point and get him back on the lead.

He'll come back to the sound of a clicker nearly everytime but not sure its loud enough for outdoors sometimes.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Maggie is usually very good at recalling back from dogs and most other distractions, we've been really lucky with her.

Her one weakness is squirrels/rabbits/cats. If she sees those her recall is totally gone and she is in for the kill! It's scary how fast she will zoom off and we don't know how far she'd go in chase.
For this reason she is only off lead properly at the playing fields (but with my eyes skinned at all times) where she plays with her friends.
For other walks around fields and stuff she is on a long line as I'd dread anything to happen and it makes our walk a lot less anxious!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I have to pick very carefully where i let my dog off lead, being a greyhound she has quite a high prey drive - when i first had her i kept her on lead for a good few months and worked on recall when my OH was around - him at one end of the field and me at the other and let her off and call her. She is actually quite good now and although she does like to have a hunt around for things to chase, and disappears off into the woods she will come back if i whistle/call her now. I have had a couple of hairy moments when i have had to run after her across several fields ! she has improved a lot in the last couple of months.

She doesn't actually take much notice of other dogs, she'll have a sniff and then carry on walking alongside me. But if we meet another greyhound she will have a run and play
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
My dog will recall if there are no other dogs around but if she is playing with other dogs she will not come back.
Same with mine. He's only been off-lead a few weeks because he's very exciteable. I think the initial excitment of being off-lead and meeting another off-lead dog has worn off for him a bit because his recall (around other dogs) is improving. I'm trying to remain positive!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2009, 08:40 PM
recall was number one, on my list, for training my 3 , they do grate but one of my dogos is so laid back and lazy, she hears me and is comming... it just takes a min to smell the roses on her way back to me ....90% recall and its situational.....
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2