Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Safety has always come first for my dogs obviously if a dog is tethered he/she could get hurt in many ways that a dog in a run would not. Anyone thinks otherwise is also only seeing/hearing what they want and not considering the options very well.
Many, many sheepdogs up and down the country are kept chained when not working. A swivel at either end of the chain can stop accidents happening. Accidents can also happen with dogs injuring themselves trying to dig or jump out of runs. I have also seen dogs in runs that are bouncing off the walks because of the feeling of being enclosed.

It is not one size fits all.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
A kennel and run is not going to break a dogs neck if/when the dog happens to tangle itself up in it.

Perhaps you can tell us why you think its no different tethering/chaining to having an enclosed run!
Well this is only my own experience, but at least it is first hand knowledge - but there are collies who are calm and content on a chain when away from work, and these same dog have bounced off the walls of a run and chewed holes in a wooden kennel through being enclosed. Some dogs actually appear to prefer a chain to a run .... fancy that!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I was told by one Rescues home checker that any sign of a dog kennel or dog out building would be mean she would fail the applicant ...
The GSD Rescues that I have volunteered for in the past wouldn't rehome a rescue dog to a home where said dog would be living outside either. It is not a policy I agree with tbh. Rescues have all sorts of rules and regulations - not all are completely sensible imo.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Funny how every one is now saying they bet the people are not out as much in cold/rain/hot weather. Well if they are running and working the farm they live on and as they go around doing the daily work taking the dog with them then any one trying to say the weather makes a difference has never worked a farm.

The farmers here are out no matter the weather with all their dogs roaming around them like little satellites!! And yes those dogs live out as well.

Also the OP has pointed out several times now that the word "guard" was not really correct on her part so why keep having a go at her for that?
Absolutely!
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The op got out of the car with the dogs owner.

If you brought a friend home, your dog may not greet your friend but surely he may wag a tail at you".....his owner.
my dogs spirits must be broken or somthing then, if they are sun bathing and i get home they MIGHT get up to say hello,
remember not all dogs are dogs that are intrested in people, not even their own owners, a dog at the farm doesnt like being touched at all

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Well this is only my own experience, but at least it is first hand knowledge - but there are collies who are calm and content on a chain when away from work, and these same dog have bounced off the walls of a run and chewed holes in a wooden kennel through being enclosed. Some dogs actually appear to prefer a chain to a run .... fancy that!
but remember it doesnt matter what the dog likes.
what if she tried to run of and broke her neck?
what if she got attacked by somone trying to break in to the farm?
because people wouldnt do it to their house dogs it makes it cruel when somone else does it,
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
<<but then again she knows that car and the person who got out of it so maybe she would be different if it was someone she didnt know.>>

I assumed that this meant the person was well known to her and she didn't greet her. Seems odd to me.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I feel very sad for dogs who don't feel able to greet their owners or friends.

IME it is a very rare thing and usually indicates a broken relationship.

rune
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
<<but then again she knows that car and the person who got out of it so maybe she would be different if it was someone she didnt know.>>

I assumed that this meant the person was well known to her and she didn't greet her. Seems odd to me.

rune
My shepherd lives with my grandma but doesn't get up to greet her when she comes in because he's not interested in her likewise with people at work who he sees on a daily basis.

It was just a musing really. The rest of my boys will make anyone they know feel like they've been missed for years
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
We can prettify the whole chaining of dogs thing, people keep trying to on here, but at the end of the day it's cruel. It stops a dog exhibiting it's natural behaviours...the ability to move freely, be part of a pack and close to it's pack, to escape predators (as a guard dog...why chain it? More likely to be abused I would have thought).
Personally I think it's awful and cruel. Lucky dog gets to go to the pub. Whoop. Great canine activity.

I do wonder about people sometimes.
http://www.worldanimalfoundation.net/f/ChainedDogs.pdf
There is nothing cruel about keeping a working dog on a chain. It doesn't stop a working dog from exhibiting natural behaviours - as they are doing that, whilst working and being off the chain, all day.

The link you have provided is irrelevant imo as it it talking of "pet" dogs in the US who are chained with no shelter, never walked, not adequately fed or watered etc etc etc. Yes, that IS cruel.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I feel very sad for dogs who don't feel able to greet their owners or friends.

IME it is a very rare thing and usually indicates a broken relationship.

rune
My boy is if anything over the top when greeting me but he's a one person dog and would rather the rest of the world just left him alone. He succeeds in this by completely ignoring people and staying away from them, even people he's known for a while. It took him a year just to register my dads existence and he fed Bob breakfast every morning. Then again Bob hasn't had the best past and does lack a lot of faith in other people. This rottie I'm assuming has been there since a pup do shouldn't really have the same issues unless it's learnt visitors speak to the owner first before he gets attention.
Page 19 of 50 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »