Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
That is not correct for the Siberian foxes that were bred for tameness, or not correct for dogs? How did dogs go from wolves - not tame, very big, uniform colour coat, rarely bark, to dogs? (if it was not by intentionally or unintentionally selective breeding for tameness - unintentionally being that it was only the tamer wolves that hung around humans)
The part of your post I highlighted in bold when I answered it was not correct - that only young wolves bark.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I agree leads, harnesses etc are (technically) negative reinforcement but I'm referrring more to using it in specific ways for training, for example teaching walk to heel using a choke chain, or use of the shock collar in a specific manner, or ear pinch etc.

If you use clicker training, you don't aim to use it - you'd use positive reinforcement, negative punishment and extinction. Etc.

Wys
x
Well you either have to be technical or not---you can't pick and choose which bits you are technical with. If you use a lead you are using negative reinforcement.

Me I am not technical at all, I do what works for me and the dogs I have. Sometimes I am sure I get it wrong---sometimes I am in a bad mood and they get in trouble where if I was in a good mood they might get away with things. Thats life!

Specific training for something is different.

rune
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I think a problem is that there can be overlaps in these terms in some circumstances. They are not always neatly discrete and separate.

For example if a dog itself lunges at something on a lead, with or without clicker training, doesn't the dog effectively apply positive punishment (lead check as consequence of lunging) itself? Or can you only decide that after you see if the dog suppresses its own lunging?

After all if an owner lead checked it that would be deemed positive punishment by many, irrespective of whether or not it succeeded in suppressing the behaviour.

Likewise if one gave an instruction, the dog didn't comply so lead tension was initially used as positive punishment, and then maintained as negative reinforcement, until it was released when the dog did comply, as which precise point did it change from positive punishment to negative reinforcement?

To go back to Mick's example of the huskies, this is also a similar technique that was used when training wild-caught elephants (while we're on elephants ) - a tame trained elephant would be used either side of the wild one to physically hold it and to give it social reassurance.

I am interested that people see this as ok when the huskies do it, but I think some people on this forum would be somewhat disapproving if a person were describing keeping a nipping puppy gently pressed between their hands and kept it up for what added up to a couple of hours in a similar fashion until it stopped nipping.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, that's right Kevin Are you sure you're not a technical guy?

The elephants in Nepal were trained using negative reinforcement and of course, oodles of positive reinforcement too
The negative reinforcement amounted to a hand touch (pressure) and removal of hand ("relief" from pressure). I have some links to some great photos, I must try to find them and post the links on here.

Normally, I must say I am very much against its use. It's been explored lately by McLean in horse training (and I must stress his idea is to maximise owner/horse communication so that welfare for the animal is paramount, this is his ethos. He is aiming for the subtlest of aids). He has said, and is right, that technically one cannot train a horse without using neg. reinforcement, as even reducing pressure on the reins or I guess even getting off, could be seen as the release of pressure.

However, normally I am not a fan of its use, esp. in dog training. I can understand it a little more when training very large animals as long as it's done gently and with welfare strongly at the forefront of any technique.

Wys
x
I am be mistaken but isn't he the one who proposes "imprinting" the foal with people virtually from birth, with the aim of maximising communication with people?

If so there is considerable concern from others that this is contrary to welfare as it can interfere with the mare/foal bonding.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Here's the links to the elephant training, very interesting stuff and totally helped both the elephants and the mahouts:

http://www.aebc.com.au/common/files/...nt_project.pdf

I like the photo of the young elephant running off No restraints were used.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I am be mistaken but isn't he the one who proposes "imprinting" the foal with people virtually from birth, with the aim of maximising communication with people?

If so there is considerable concern from others that this is contrary to welfare as it can interfere with the mare/foal bonding.
I have no idea, I'd be very suprised if he did anything contrary to equine welfare ...of course there are plenty of people out there who will find fault with anyone trying to genuinely improve welfare of horse, dog or centipede, no doubt!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have no thoughts whatsoever about negative reinforcement with elephants but have been watching the result of a new arrival in my little mob.
The new dog (GSD x Doberman) is trying to initiate play with the previously new dog (Yorkie X), who is telling him off good and proper. This could be a pecking order in progress or it could simply be that the other dogs are more assertive and confident as they`ve been there longer.

Re negative reinforcement.. does batting at the dog with your paperback when he leaps on your lap and grabs your hand count?

How are they now?

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
...To go back to Mick's example of the huskies, this is also a similar technique that was used when training wild-caught elephants (while we're on elephants ) - a tame trained elephant would be used either side of the wild one to physically hold it and to give it social reassurance.

I am interested that people see this as ok when the huskies do it, but I think some people on this forum would be somewhat disapproving if a person were describing keeping a nipping puppy gently pressed between their hands and kept it up for a couple of hours in a similar fashion until it stopped nipping.
I'd think that would be impractical in the extreme to be honest I can't imagine advising an owner to behave like that, and them actually doing it.

Re the elephant, sadly the young elephants are treated appallingly as a matter of course - captured, tied, not fed or watered for many days, beaten etc. It's extremely abusive sadly and hopefully now things are starting to change a bit.

Wys
x
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have no thoughts whatsoever about negative reinforcement with elephants but have been watching the result of a new arrival in my little mob.
The new dog (GSD x Doberman) is trying to initiate play with the previously new dog (Yorkie X), who is telling him off good and proper. This could be a pecking order in progress or it could simply be that the other dogs are more assertive and confident as they`ve been there longer.

Re negative reinforcement.. does batting at the dog with your paperback when he leaps on your lap and grabs your hand count?
But are those not important considerations and factors , assertiveness and confidence, in terms of establishing a hierarchy?

Having had more time to read more of Semyonova's paper I find she says there is no aggression in dogs sorting out their social landscape but she puts the bar for defining aggression at nothing short of "uninhibited bites" (whihc she doesn't define), even dismissing "inhibited bites" growls, "threats" minor puncture wounds in other writing as not being aggression and she redefines dominance and submission as "threat and non-threat behaviour(!!) which she says is what maintains the social landscape.

Sorry but to me a "threat" is very definitely an aggressive act! However dominance does not = aggression IMO).

Further she also says that "fighting breeds" including tosas, staffs, pits, EBTs, akitas etc do not follow normal rules and have brain abnormalities, as do other breeds such as Belgian and German shepherds, according to her, i.e dogs that do not follow her rules are abnormal, it is not her "rules" that are erroneous (my bold):

"
But what about dogs like huskies and German and Belgian shepherds, which also figure significantly in the statistics on impulsive-aggressive attacks as defined here?These breeds are a separate problem.The problem with the husky may well be due to myths about the husky being a close relative of the wolf, which has resulted in some people breeding huskies to wolves to get “better” huskies.It is possible that people buy a husky that possesses non-domestic genes from some far grandparent the present breeder doesn’t even know about, and that this is the cause of the occasional (though still too frequent) maladaptive aggression in a husky.Household breeds (such as the German shepherd and the Belgian shepherd) that are also used for police work suffer a different problem.These dogs are often bred in special guard-dog kennels, where selection unknowingly takes place for the same abnormalities in the brain as in the fighting dogs and other aggressive breeds.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14810086/H...by-A-Semyonova
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
That is not correct for the Siberian foxes that were bred for tameness, or not correct for dogs? How did dogs go from wolves - not tame, very big, uniform colour coat, rarely bark, to dogs? (if it was not by intentionally or unintentionally selective breeding for tameness - unintentionally being that it was only the tamer wolves that hung around humans)
You might enjoy this article, BangKaew :

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/why-do-dogs-bark/

"We know from experiments with silver foxes that breeding together less fearful individuals (those with “reduced flight distance”) results in paedomorphosis: the retention of juvenile characteristics into adulthood. As well as increasing “friendliness”, paedomorphosis has a number of allied effects: floppy ears, curly tails, piebald coats and the tendency to bark."

Wys
x
Page 19 of 30 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »