*great way to build your recall
*you can just stroll along enjoying the view

Negatives of Mulit dog Free Running
* Dogs can dismiss you part in their walk as they become too pack Orientated
*dogs can over do it, leading to stress Injuries
* Dogs can Collide & put out Backs Necks etc
* Dogs have little interaction with owner
*The more they get the more they need
*you miss many great one 2 one moments with your dog if Free Running is the only thing you do

Feel free to add
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I also think you can have too much off lead!!!!I think in Some ways too much OFF lead , especially with MULTI dogs is Owner lazy, & dosent do much to improve your relationship & is almost addicitve to the dogs (can turn them into a free running Junkie-tons of adrenilin)-then they NEED to have a run.
Yes - and this is a trap SO many people fall into. Becasue they give the dogs this the dogs in turn become addicted and do NEED it. Its not always a healthy option.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Agree with this also. There is definitely a balance in there.
Defintally!!!
Personally id air on the side of a little bit too little than a little bit too much, But i do do alot of training!!!!!
But that would be a personal thing & would depend on the correct balance for your Lifestyle & what you want out of your dogs!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

Gah, stop it. Can't stand them, especially that Mr Green fellow.

Mr Green!!!!! Hes my Fave! I think he looks abit like woody!!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I'll be honest and say I haven't read the whole thread.

With Monty we've always preferred to get in the car and drive to somewhere that we can let him run free off the lead and this is how I love seeing him BUT I really wish we had persevered with more on-lead walks when he was younger as he is now difficult to walk on-lead as he's not particulary used to it so i'd agree with Mish that you can definitely do too much off-lead.

I personally think it's all about what a dog gets used to and individual to a dogs needs. Some dogs are perfectly happy to trot around on the lead whereas others need to run and explore.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I am terrible for letting my guys free run - but I always bukild training sessions into the walk. Gabe does searching, Siren and Trip do Obedience/freestyle. they all practice instant downs and stays throughout the walk.

....but I do think my guys are adrenalin junkies.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Mr Green!!!!! Hes my Fave! I think he looks abit like woody!!!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So if, God forbid one of your two was injured and no longer able to go off lead, how would you cope?

Gah, stop it. Can't stand them, especially that Mr Green fellow.
It would be a serious struggle, there is no denying that. Well not for my Lab as he is pretty lazy now, but it would be for Bo. But equally I'm not going to not let them off lead just in case something like that (touch wood) happens.

Besides, I balance it up anyway. I don't do routine. Sometimes we only do two quick runs and that is it. I'm not the type to go out marching for hours and hours; after an hour I'm done.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No I don't think it depends on the breed. It depends on the individual dog which is why I can't agree with the question 'do dogs need a good run' because they don't, it may be nice for them and for us...but they don't NEED it. Just like I don't need chocolate, it just makes life better for me, although I know plenty who don't like it!
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but it is always a debate I get a bit hot under the collar about and felt I had to put a few comments on before continuing on and reading the rest of the thread.

Ramble - you have said that you consider "need" to mean something that is required to survive? Well, you have also said companionship, shelter and training are needed. Actually, a dog doesn't require any of those three things to "survive". However, surely we want what is best for our dogs, not just for their survival, but for their happiness, health and well-being?

As far as I am concerned, I believe that most (if not all) dogs do NEED to have a good run on a regular basis for their happiness and well being. Even for dogs who have an unreliable recall, or high prey drive or dog aggression etc etc, I think it is up to that dog's owner to be able to find somewhere to provide their dog with a good run - whether that be a large enclosed garden, fields, tennis courts, whatever.

I know that my dogs thrive on their off lead exercise. They also enjoy training, play and some on-lead strolls. It is all about balance and variety imo.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Does it depend on breed do you think tho??

No we dont all need chocolate (actually I DO!!!) but some humans could not bear not to exercise while others would be happy to sit on the sofa all day!!!

I do think it is partially dependent on breed actually. Some dogs are hard-wired to run, to track or to hunt. I always feel it is a shame for breeds such as the husky to live in a home where its outlet to run is denied.
Page 19 of 46 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »