Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
OMG more links and more lectures and yet no damn answers, can hardly contain myself
He is known for doing this on other boards. This subject is something he has been droning on about for quite a few years.
Tailwagger
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Taken from another website

"There are only two known families that show a trait for keeping pets -- two species of Great Apes and Man. It is a sad reflection on many UK dog owners that, of the two Families, Apes are more likely to have a better relationship with their pets than dog owners in the UK have with their dogs."

Copyright 2002; Denis Carthy. All Rights Reserved.

Is that because the apes don't use e-collars Denis?
uncllou
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Warning folks. I've been out all day while this thread has been going on. I replied to all the posts I thought needed a response. This is one of the longest posts I've ever written.

Originally Posted by Murphy
I try to keep an open mind about e-collars ( never say never )
That's all I ask for. Rarely do I get it. Although every time this topic comes up several people make private enquiries and want to learn more.

I've never heard of a dog being 'clickered' to death
I've seen many grossly overweight dogs that have been treat trained. That's a slow death for a dog.

People are wary of e-collars ..and rightly so ..you don't want them available to be used by any Muppet ..but surely after all these years on forums have you not learned that you cannot expect people to listen to you once you have got their backs up !
With this topic I've found that people who have never even seen an Ecollar, much less used one themselves or even seen one used properly have the strongest feeling about them. They simply can't talk rationally about them. It's not necessary to do anything to get anyone's back up, except try and explain the truth behind them. They're convinced that the tool is cruel and inflicts pain no matter how it's used. These people have made up their minds and don't want to be confused with reality or the facts.

but you can't just appear ,then tell everyone they know nothing and then try to enlighten them ..it just doesn't work
I've never done that. I don't even enter these conversations until and unless people start posting misinformation about the tool. They've already demonstrated that they don't know anything about it. Certainly they may be experts in other areas of dog training and they may have had great success there, but the comments that some of them make about Ecollars are not true. I don't think that I've ever had one of these discussions with someone that's actually used an Ecollar in the modern way.

Peeps have their own standards that they train to -and might not need/want to train to the levels that you do.
That's fine with me. It's only when people describe the tool as cruel or too difficult to use by the average person that I get involved. People can use the tool to train to whatever level they like.

I think that all dogs need two bombproof commands. Bombproof means that the dog obeys with one command no matter what distance he is from the handler and no matter what the distraction is. One essential command is the recall. That calls the dog away from danger. The other is a stationary command, a sit or a down. That stop the dog when danger is between him and the handler.

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
May I just enquire - what are the problem behaviours which necessitate the use of an electric collar, and which cannot be overcome by other means?
I've said a couple of times that Ecollars aren't "necessary." But since anyone can use them and get good results in a very short time, they shouldn't be overlooked.

There are probably are very few problems that can't be overcome by an "expert" (whatever that means). But even a quick read of this forum will show you that many people have problems with their dog doing simple OB, barking when it's not appropriate, jumping up and chasing game. But not every board member has enough expertise (whatever that is) to apply the methods so that they get satisfactory results.

Over and over again I get clients coming to me who have, over the life of their pet, tried just about every training method/tool known to man and still don't have the simplest of behaviors.

I can think of only one situation where I might, just might, possibly and reluctantly see an e-collar as the best way of ensuring my dogs' safety.
What situation might that be?

Originally Posted by leo
It is cruel to use one of these collars in my opinon
How is this cruelty manifested?

Earlier I wrote: What if you got a dog that didn't respond to other methods?

Originally Posted by leo
I still wouldn't use one i would persevere with the dog
How long would you "persevere?" One year? Two? Four? How long do you think it's reasonable to persevere?

Earlier I wrote: Would you put it to sleep rather than use an Ecollar?

Originally Posted by leo
In some cases yes i would
What behavior would have you putting a dog to sleep before using an Ecollar on it?

Originally Posted by leo
I have just read the latest report
These reports are always interesting for what they try to do and how they try and do it. On thing that I find fascinating in them is that they purport to be scientific studies (this one at least says that it's a "review of current literature) but they almost never are. They're citing others who are opposed to the Ecollar. This gives them an ever growing list of "experts" to cite. Other "experts" cite other "experts" and the list grows and grows with never any real science being reviewed, only the opinions of other "experts." Often those "experts" have no expertise and so it's just an opinion citing another opinion.

Look at the List of References. Most are just opinion pieces by other "experts." They're cited only because they agree with the agenda of this author. There's no science there.

Additionally I've never seen one of these "studies" that has looked at modern (low level stim) use of the tool. It's always high level stim use that is addressed. For example, " there is a real danger of an unwanted association being made between the shock and some coincidental stimuli (eg: the presence of the trainer, or context in which the shock occurs), other than the performance of the targeted unwanted behaviour, even when the two are temporally contiguous."

I've put Ecollars on well over 1,000 dogs. This has never happened. I've seen it happen and have written about it happening if high level stim is used, but it NEVER happens with low level stim.

I've given demos in front of good sides crowds of trainers and other people who know how to read dogs. I'm often asked "when are you going to start pressing the button?" Fact is I've been pressing it since I started working the dog. There's no fear, no yelping in pain, and no flipping over backwards. There's just a dog learning.

"To facilitate an association being made between the behaviour to be suppressed and the punishment, the timing of the punishment is vital."

This is true of high levels of stim because in extreme cases you can get learning for a lifetime occurring the first time that stim is applied. But, again, this doesn't happen with modern, low level stim use.

I could go on but you probably get the point. Let me know if you want more.

Originally Posted by leo
It's also a fact that this sort of training cause fear in the subject dog.
High level stim often has this effect. Low level stim does not.

Originally Posted by leo
Also how do you know what level of shock what to give the dog is this done on breed EG every begal gets level 3 every Rottie gets level 5? Or do just turn it up it it stops doing what it's doing?
Leo here's how it's done. It nothing as you imagine. I'm not sure if this forum allows links to dog training websites. I've read the rules but I'm not clear on this. If it's not allowed I beg the forgiveness of the moderators and have no problem with them editing it out. If they do so I hope they'll allow me to post it in another thread. It's fairly long.

Originally Posted by leo
What would you do if your collar did not work say malfunction/ battries run out/ dog out of range how would you get that dog to come back to you?
Great question. The dog is not allowed off the leash until certain stages of the training are done. This is outlined in my articles. I've had batteries go dead in the middle of training many times, I've been using the tool for nearly two decades, it's gonna happen. For the most part I wasn't able to tell the difference. The dogs worked perfectly well even though stim wasn't being delivered. In the first part of the training the dog is escaping the stim by performing the movement. In the next phase he's completely avoiding it (no stim is delivered) by performing the movement.

As far as malfunctions, modern quality Ecollars are very reliable. If they go bad it's right away. If not they last for years. Modern Ecollars run on rechargeable batteries. They have lights that change color if they're running low. The units that I recommend have a 1/2 mile or one mile range. Gonna be hard to get out to that distance. I understand that in the UK there are laws regarding the range of these devices but it's still much further than most people let their dogs out.

Originally Posted by leo
I would of thought that you would have trouble to get it back cause it knows if it goes back to you it's going to get shocked again.
The exact opposite is the case. Dogs trained with modern methods don't think that the stim is coming from the handler. They attribute it to their behavior. They quickly learn that when the discomfort starts (the button is pressed) they're doing something wrong (from the handler's point of view, dogs don't make value judgments as to right or wrong). When the stim stops the dog knows that he's done the right thing. He's not stimmed for coming back, he's stimmed for NOT coming back. As soon as he heads towards the handler he's rewarded because the button is released.

Originally Posted by leo
Don't see how a dog can trust you if your hurting it.
As long as you have it in your head that a dog is hurt by modern use of the tool, you won't get it. In fact, dogs are made to feel small amounts of discomfort which they attribute to their behavior, not to the handler. Most of my work is done with police dogs. I don't think anyone places their life in their dog's paws or vice versa more than that team. Since the dog thinks that the discomfort came from his own actions, and the handler is showing him how to make that discomfort stop, the bond is just as strong, if not stronger than with other methods.

Originally Posted by leo
How do you think they get mistreated dogs to trust again by shocking them.
Take a look at an article that the link I provided takes you to called "Simon's Story. You'll see how it works. The nickel version, Simon was a dog that came into rescue on a Monday. He was scheduled to be PTS on the next Friday. A friend of mine who had never before used an Ecollar except to stop game chasing, taught Simon to recall and sit with the Ecollar. On Wednesday he got a reprieve from the shelter director who saw how much progress he's made. He's since been adopted out and is living with a family.

Originally Posted by leo
Most of us in the uk think it's cruel way of treating your dog.
If I'd only seen what you've seen then I'd probably feel much the same. BUT I'm telling you that there's another way to use the tool that is neither cruel nor abusive.

Originally Posted by leo
I know that but your condoning what i call abuse thats why you get the responce you do
I've never condoned abuse in any form. I am advocating the proper use of a tool that you only know of using in what you consider to be an abusive fashion. I don't use it in the way that you're familiar with.

Originally Posted by leo
Your experiance training dogs is better than mine as you proberly do this for a living but that a side stll does not justify you shocking your dogs into submission
No dog in my care is ever "shock(ed) into submission."

Earlier I wrote: some dogs don't respond to those so called "gentler methods." At least not in the face of high level distractions or if they're highly driven animals.

Originally Posted by leo
What breed of dog or just some dogs
It's not limited to one breed. It's usually those with high levels of drives, particularly prey drive. The drive that makes them chase game.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
All so very reassuring, so how do you explain this:

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/castle2.htm

I take it this is you - uncllou, training dogs with a very high level simply to teach food refusal?
Teaching food refusal is not simple and it's life saving training. This is not food refusal for competition or for fun it's to save the life of a dog that is a target for being poisoned such as a police dog or a drug detector dog. In those cases and also for snakeproofing, another life saving form of training, I will use high levels of stim. I want those dogs to be afraid of food left in their yard or snakes that they encounter. If not, they may die. If you have some more reliable way to do it I'd love to hear it.

Now will come the excuses, explanations and the rest
You won't get any excuses from me. You will get explanations as it's apparent you didn't read or understand the entire article.

I call that pretty horrible way to train a dog, myself.
If you have something better, please share it with us. But food refusal training or snakeproofing isn't what we're talking about here.

Originally Posted by Brierley
Yep, would think that would teach the dog food refusal. Take it that 'tickling 'em' into submission doesn't work for this particular trick
Just as there's no "shocking into submission" there's no "tickling into submission." Submission doesn't enter into this training at all.

Christine do you have something better to absolutely stop a dog from eating food he comes across in his environment? I'd love to hear about it.

Just zap the dog (I'd definitely call this zapping) at a very high level 3 times and yes, it should work.

Poor dog.
Want to see a "poor dog." Picture a dog dying a horrible painful death because he'd eaten some poisoned food that someone threw into his backyard. Picture a dog dying from internal bleeding from eating gopher poison he'd found in a park. Far better for him to three times in his life to have sustained a high level, short duration of pain. It's a bit like getting a shot to prevent polio. It hurts like heck but in the long run, saves lives.

Still don't see how or why that can't be taught without the e-collar. you can teach a dog to eat only on a specific command.
That probably works very well in your kitchen or your back yard. But try this. Roll up a bit of hamburger into a ball and toss it into your back yard. Wear gloves so you don't put your scent on it. Now release your "trained to eat only on a specific command" dog into the back yard and leave him there for an hour. See if the ball of hamburger is still there. If it is, try not feeding your dog for a few days. Now imagine that someone else has placed that ball of meat in your yard and it contained rat poison. Still feel 100% confident in your training? If you do you're either fooling yourself, lying or are the next "top dog trainer in the world." If you can do that then your services will be in demand all over the world. Be prepared to get rich!

Originally Posted by Lucky Star
It stands to reason, I don't need to be told anything. Gentle training methods are bound to take a while to teach and learn.
What do you tell members of this board who are trying these method and not getting results? How long should they expect, for example, a reliable recall to take?

I see no reason to shock my dog into compliance
No one in this thread has said that they "shock a dog into compliance?" It's not how the training is done.

it is far more rewarding and the dog does it because he wants to not because he's afraid of the consequences.
No one who know how this works has said that any dog is "afraid of the consequences." That also is not how the training is done.

Earlier I wrote: Actually that's EXACTLY what a dog feels, a tingling sensation, when an Ecollar is used properly. The most common response is that the dog sits and scratches as if a flea is biting him.

With all due respect, you have got to be having a laugh. IF that's all it is, a simple tingling sensation or an itch - this would not stop my dog from chasing after something he had his heart set on catching.
That's exactly what I'm telling you. You think you know how this tool is used but you don't. This is not meant to be rude, you just don't know that you don't know. You think I'd wait until your dog is chasing something and then I'd push the button. That's not how it's done. I suggest that you read my article on "Crittering and Dog to Dog Aggression" before you make such statements.

This is a perfect example of what I've been saying. You folks don't know about modern use of the tool. In fact I've stopped a couple of hundred dogs from chasing all kinds of game, from mice to moose. Much of this work has been done with police dog and SAR dogs.

Why are you so hell bent on selling this dubious method to us when we clearly have no intention of using it?
I'm not selling anything. But I see no reason to allow people to spread their misconceptions and thereby prevent people who haven't succeeded with other methods from using it if they are interested. You folks seem "hell bent" on spreading the myths and misconceptions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the article has even been pulled to be honest.
The article hasn't been pulled. The one on Dr. P's website has been up for years. The other site was put up and the article updated about a year ago or so.

Dog is teased with food
Please don't misquote me in an effort to further you end. The dog is not teased with food. It's simply placed in his environment where he can find it. This is extremely misleading.

The dog is probably very afraid of even looking at any food let alone food in hisown bowl.
You're quite wrong. The dog becomes afraid of food in his back yard but is free to eat from his bowl.

Yet another reason I dislike the collars, because this sort of training is part of using them for the supporters
I've never done food refusal training on any of my dogs. I've never felt the need. But some people do. If you have a better method, please let us see it. Of course you're not required to have something better and I don't expect that you would. I was just hoping.

It's not so much the physical pain but the mental suffering that bothers me.
What mental suffering? The dog learns to avoid any food that he finds on the ground. I happen to think that’s better than an agonizing death from eating poisoned food.

let's not forget the prison service, police etc do not routinely use them.
Actually they do. I regularly help about a dozen police officers in the UK with their Ecollars. They don't do it where they can be seen because of the political climate, but they are in use. Sometimes with some dogs other methods don't work.

There is a man in Scotland who brought in the first electri collar into his country (the old one) and he now is totally against them. He is a gundog trainer and he despises those gundog trainers who use them, and IMO rightly so.
I can guarantee that he's not using them as I advocate.

The reason the collars work is due to pain or at the lower end of the scale severe discomfort, otherwise they wouldn't work, it is that simple really.
No you're wrong. You're only familiar with what you know. You don't know how I use the tool. For some insight go read the articles.

I've trained dogs really fast using positive methods, often I would say they are faster, anyway!
I've heard this before and faced a couple of friendly challenges. I've always gotten more reliable results faster.

How do you know the failsafe device will work in that situation, do you practise that too?
Of course. I trained a police dog that didn't need an Ecollar stim for two years. His performance was perfect, one command = one response at every distance from his handler, no matter what the distraction.

I've been doing some more reading.
You're reading is only sidetracking the conversation.

Gundog trainers who use them - it seems that it's not uncommon for dogs to find it hard to obey recall as they may be in tall grass and cannot see the handler.

The handler will then shock them harder and harder, all the while the dog is desperately trying to find the handler and obey but is being punished for failure
That's not what I do or advocate.

Some are using them for housetraining puppies
Also not something I do or advocate.

Dogs who seem happy after being trained with electric collars are often just totally thrilled to have avoided the painful stimulation, which is why in some of the manwork dog sports, the dogs often run eagerly back to handler after they are told to "get off" the criminal person. It's not training or skill, it seems to be due to pain and fear of pain.
Oh nonsense. A dog that acts afraid on the field will have these characteristics quickly seen by a judge and he'll be marked down for it. "Painful stimulation" is not something I do or advocate.

Just going back to the training of the food refusal by umclllou,

What if the owner dies, or wants to go on holiday?
He's trained the dog to eat from a specific bowl. The dog will eat from that bowl.

What if the situation was trained wrongly
The same thing is done if any form of training was done "wrongly?" You go back and fix on the problem.

or the dog didn't understand so associates things like his owner nearby or even the carpet as the only safe thing? Depends on where this is trained.
The owner isn't near during this training.

I feel this training is a welfare issue for dogs, and why on earth would anyone want to actually put this in an article for the general public to read and perhaps even try is - well, unprintable.
It looks like you're one of those people who want to decide what other people can read. I guess I value freedom of speech much more than you do. Now I understand better. In any case, if the article wasn't there, people with no knowledge would try it anyway. And they'd take longer and cause the dog even more pain. You seem to have missed the fact that I say quite clearly that this is very difficult and usually completely unnecessary.

It says it is common use of this training collar.
No it does not. It says that this is a form of aversion training which is very common with the Ecollar.

I bet that dog is in one heck of a state. This is very harsh, cruel training. It is brutal and I'd say yes, abusive.
I'd agree with harsh but not cruel or abusive. If you consider the alternative, a dog dying because he ate some poisoned food in his back yard or the park, I'd say that it's justifiable.

if we use the e-collar the dog has no choice in the matter
Dogs also have no say in where we take them for walk. They don't get to decide that peeing or pooping in the house is OK. They don't decide what food to eat, what animals is OK to chase or much else. This is the way of the world.

Originally Posted by Ailsa1
No-one wants to buy an ecollar form you okay?
I don't think that you have the authority to speak for every other member of this forum.

The obedience level of my dogs has been commented on by a broad range of people.
Mine too. At least half the time I'm out people will make a comment like, "I wish my dogs were that good." I always respond, "They can be!

My dogs, it has been proven ( in ways I can't go into on here but believe me) DO NOT RESPOND to physical methods of training in any way, shape or form. My dogs only respond to:
Every animal on this planet avoids discomfort and seek comfort. Your dogs will respond as others do.

If any other methods are used with my dogs, any methods for example, that involve punishment or pain, they refuse, yes, refuse to do as they are asked and they submit...they get nervous and upset and submissive.
I'm sure that's the case when you try it. I've heard this repeatedly from people who bring their dogs to me to train. I've always proven them completely wrong. They're quite happy when I do.

An e collar would not work on my dogs because it would make them fearful. actually, they generally do the complete opposite of what they are being asked to do.
I'm quite sure that used as may have been done, as the Ecollar is commonly used, that's been the result. I'm just as sure that if my methods were used they would do precisely as they were being trained to do and they would not become fearful.

My dogs want to be with me.
My dogs want to be with me too. According to you folks that shouldn't be the case.

they come to me 'cos they want to, becuase I am much more interesting than anyone or anything else.
That may be the case. But many dogs find chasing game to be much more fun and more interesting than their owners. It may just last for a few moments, but that's long enough to get them shot by a farmer or run over by a car.

There are a lot of people on here who understand perfectly the whole OC thing. We don't feel the need to go on about it because:
1) People glaze..I glaze...it's actually quite dull
I rarely get into that side of the discussion because it's not something that pet owners need to know and many, like yourself, find it dull. But when people who should know better start using the terms improperly in an effort to impress folks with their knowledge, it needs to be pointed out.

To be perfectly honest, to be a good trainer, you don't HAVE to know the theories.
I think it's best if they do but, I agree it's not necessary. This is something that I've said many times in these threads. But when I say it I get slammed. You'll probably be applauded. LOL.

Originally Posted by Minihaha
On the odd occasion when I have visited other forums I have seen people 'pushing' various forms of stimulation collars , they manage to turn every topic onto the subject so one can presume they earn commission on sales. These people have an evangelistic almost fanatical approach ,to them the collars are 'cure alls' so arguing with these people is pointless.
Neither of us started this conversation or turned it towards Ecollars. Neither of us entered the conversation until misconceptions started to be posted as facts.

Originally Posted by Minihaha
I would never use any device to train a dog but then I have never needed to , I leave such things to the people who are not able to train using any other methods.
I love this comment. Here's one difference between you and I. I've used just about every tool and method extant in dog training. You haven't. Having tried all those methods and devices I've decided that the best one, it's the fastest, it's the safest, it's the most humane I've settled on the Ecollar for much of my work. I've put Ecollars on well over 1,000 dogs. I know the effects and dangers, you folks don't. this is not to be rude or disrespectful. There are other ways of using the tool than you folks know. I have never understood why people refuse to admit that they don't know all about Ecollars. Especially when most of you have never even seen one.

And knowing all the terms doesn't make a good trainer; probably why some people do need electric collars for their poor dogs
This is purposefully rude and disrespectful. You've never seen any dog that either Clobb or I have trained. Please stop passing judgment based on something you know nothing about.

Originally Posted by leo
clob my lad is 165 lb i am only 92 lb so you can see the ratio i walk and have trained in him compaired to me.
Not sure what this has to do with this thread. But since you brought this up, I've trained a 100 pound human-and-dog-aggressive Rott to walk at a heel with his owner who is in a wheelchair. I trained a pit bull to do the same with her owner, a woman who is confined to a walker.

Originally Posted by leo
it seems to me you only think of the e collars as a tool or method to train any dog regardless of size or breed or in fact if there is a real need to start with.
Ecollars are a tool that will work with any dog regardless of size or breed. They will work if there is a real need to start with as well.

Originally Posted by leo
i have a trusting bond with both of my dogs they do as i ask to please and the fact i reward them is just a bonus to them.
Me too.

Originally Posted by leo
i can't see how you can form a strong bond with a dog using negative methods or tools that in your words annoy them to get results you want.
We understand that you can't understand it. And BTW calling an Ecollar a "negative method" is a misnomer. This is a value judgment and the reason that we got into the conversation about OC.

Originally Posted by leo
i wouldn't shave my dogs coats as they are both show dogs as well just so i could have the prongs touching the skin.
No one has said that you should shave your dog's coat. In fact quite the opposite was stated.

Originally Posted by leo
i got leo's because i wanted a dog with their coats and manes not to cut it down or off.
I've never had to shave a dog's coat. I don’t know why you bring it up.

Originally Posted by leo
toby is a working pat dog if he wasn't trained do you honestly think they would allow a person of my size into a hospital visiting kids with a dog i had no control over?
My police dog, trained with an Ecollar also visited hospitals.

Originally Posted by leo
if some one came to you for advice you would automatically tell them to get an e collar without trying other methods first?
I wouldn't. Just this week I got a call from someone on the east coast of the US. He wanted to know if an Ecollar was the right tool for his 18 month old dog (sorry I forget the breed. I told him to look into an OB class at a park near him. I didn’t recommend the Ecollar. If people want to go that way, I'm happy to help. If people have tried other methods and haven't been satisfied with their results, I'm happy to help.

Originally Posted by leo
the more i read this thread the more it seems that its just a stunt to get people interested in e collars,
If that was the case then I'd have started many topics with that thought in mind. I didn't enter this conversation until myths and misconceptions started being spread as facts.

Originally Posted by leo
a dog with a heart problem who could miss beats due to a condition then get a surge of electricity though the collar interfere with the beat?
Ecollars only emit very small voltages and miniscule amounts of current. The current travels from one contact post to the other. It goes nowhere near the heart. If this was a problem there's be dozens of studies done by those who oppose Ecollars saying so. If you can find even one, I'll be happy to read it.

Horribly some people have actually used an electric collar on their children
Perfect evidence that abuse isn't in the tool but in the user.

If these collars are so great and pain free, why are people looking at banning them?
Great question! Because they don't know or won't admit that they can be used in a completely humane manner. I don't like high level stim use and have written extensively against it. But low level use is safe, humane and fast. And I'm told that these attempts at banning were tried last legislative session and failed. I'm told that those attempts are failing this legislative session as well.

Some people have a monetary interest in having them banned. They give quick results and a trainer isn't necessary. That puts some trainers out of business or at least, will cut into their income.

Check chains are painful and instruments of torture in the wrong hands, but no-one is looking to outlaw them.
Ecollars are a much easier target than check chains. In the UK very few people have seen either modern Ecollars or modern use of that tool. So when the anti's talk about cruelty, dogs screaming in pain or cruelty people can identify with those statements. Most people have a personal experience with electricity, an unpleasant one. They've been shocked and imagine that the stim from an Ecollar is the same. It's not, something I demonstrate quite frequently. The most common description I get from people who feel it is that it's a "buzz" or a "tingle."

(sorry can't recall who asked this). Is this a lie too: ( a letter from a vet in America regarding burns from an E-collar)? http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/rufus.pdf
First off this is not an Ecollar, it's an "invisible fence" tool. They're not the same thing. It's not a lie but a good deal of misinformation. I've spoken to this vet and she now states that she can't identify the burns as from the electricity that an Ecollar produces. She never could. She now states that it's either chemical burns from the batteries that got wet (the owner left the dog out in the rain in spite of instructions on the collar not to get it wet) and they leaked. Or it's "moist necrosis" from having the collar on the dog for too long a period of time so that the contact points caused a friction burn.

That vet now prescribes invisible fences and Ecollars for her clients when she thinks they're appropriate.

And that dogs can suffer not only from burns or uncontrolled shocks from malfunctioning collars but cardiac fibrillation plus psychological stress.
This is the opinion of someone who opposes the use of the tool. There's no scientific evidence to support it.

I also understand that repeated shocks can lead to changes in the heart and respiration rate or gastrointestinal disorders.
Also no scientific evidence to support this statement either.

A shock can cause fearful or aggressive response.
This can occur with high levels of stim. They don't occur with low level stim.

The contact points on the collar can irritate the skin and cause infection.
This can occur. It can also occur with other types of collars that are left on too long. I've seen it with a plain buckle collar.

A report on the inhumane and unnecessary use of electric shock collars for dogs (2006):

http://www.advocatesforanimals.org.u...ockcollars.pdf
This is another "study" that is so highly flawed that it's worthless. One problem is as I stated earlier, the "experts" cite in their references the statements of other "experts." They're just citing each other's opinions. Sorry but that has no real value. I have more criticisms but this post is one of the longest that I've ever written already.

Originally Posted by darasa
another question ... I have 6lb Chihuahua, could she be shocked to death by an E collar on a high setting?
There's absolutely no case of a dog ever being "shocked to death by an Ecollar" no matter what the setting.

Originally Posted by leo
if the pulse is set high enough and it interferes with the heat beat then my GUESS yes it could.
Please Leo, don't guess. This isn't true at all.

Originally Posted by leo
but i would also think it could happen to any dog if it was set high enough. it would be like putting a de fib machine on some one who doesn't need it so it can do the opposite to the heart beat send the pattern irregular.
This IS NOT TRUE. Defibrillators put out thousands of volts and lots of current. Ecollars put out 3-25 volts (when measured with a load) and the current is miniscule.

Such statements are one reason that I joined this conversation. Please don't make statements like this. Or if you insist on doing so, please support them with facts.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Uncllou - thank you for taking the time to address various queries and concerns point-by-piont.

I can think of only one situation where I might, just might, possibly and reluctantly see an e-collar as the best way of ensuring my dogs' safety.

Originally Posted by uncllou
What situation might that be?
The situation is ... snake-proofing

I can control where my dogs go and what they do off the property by keeping them on leads. However, all our native snakes are venomous and they do come into the garden and onto the rest of the property. Without restricting all freedom of movement it is impossible to keep the dogs compeletly safe from them.

I understand that to snake-proof a dog there must be a 'set-up' snake in a cage/enclosure, and immaculate timing and high level stimulation are required in using the device?

I have no experience of e-collars and would not dream of undertaking such an exercise myself.

ETA - What bothers me about e-collars is that, despite written instructions, some people tend to the idea that 'if a little is good then a lot must be better'. I think, as with choke chains and prong collars, it is necessary that the use of such devices should be demonstrated by someone who is experienced and know exactly what they are doing.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

15-06-2006, 07:19 AM
uncllou - thanx for the replies will read them more fully later, have only skimmed at the mo, but they appear to stick to the points raised and be polite which is all we were after from clob yesterday. We can hardly have a discussion when no informative answers are given.
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Shadow Boxer
|
I have no experience of e-collars and would not dream of undertaking such an exercise myself.

Clob
Yes your in a very high risk situation there.

You have a world class A1 + crown jewel e-trainer trainer there, Steve K9, do you know him or of him? he has a web site if you cant find it you'll get him on Dogzonline.

– also because of his Oz experience of your situation he will be able to give any potential failings or weak points, which are equally as important as the strong points. Good Luck.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

15-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Clob
Shadow Boxer
|

Clob
Yes your in a very high risk situation there.

You have a world class A1 + crown jewel e-trainer trainer there, Steve K9, do you know him or of him? he has a web site if you cant find it you'll get him on Dogzonline.

– also because of his Oz experience of your situation he will be able to give any potential failings or weak points, which are equally as important as the strong points. Good Luck.
Yes, I know of Steve K9 and his excellent reputation - but he is many many miles away from me, He is the sort of trainer I would trust with my dogs' well-being, but I wouldn't undertake to 'snake-proof' even with his written instructions - I would want him to personally guide me as it is a delicate situation and I would not wish to make even the smallest mistake.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Unclllou I think you have missed my point (although you will argue you have not as I imagine you like the last word) in that you come on forums and give the impression that electric collars are always used with low stimulations when you yourself use the highest level there is and recommend it to others.

I think it would have been better from the start if you had said the broader picture rather than misled people. And yes before you jump on that, I do believe we were misled by you omitting some of the facts.

In the UK we have no need to teach our pets food refusal or proof against snakes. We have one poisonous snake the adder, yes it can kill but most dogs recover and no-one proofs against it. I've seen several but never had a dog bitten although we walk in areas full of them, it's a case for the adder of being aware, what time of year etc

Maybe one day my dog wil get bitten, I hope not, ( a friend's dog did a few years ago) but I'd never consider putting an electric collar on in our country, the risk is not high enough. The trauma of using a collar on a very high level is much worse than a bit of swelling, pain and a vet visit which may never happen.

The fact remains that you recommend the very highest level for food refusal. I knew you'd justify it, I guess you must live in a place that has people throwing poisoned food over all the time, and maybe dogs are out in gardens all thetime?

The food refusal could have surely been trained on a lower level. What if someone did use a high leve on the 0-100 collars, that is abuse whatever the reason unclllou.

THe food refusal exercise was more for police officers and their dogs. I cannot seriously imagine most people are concerned about poisoned food.

Out of interest, do you ever recommend high levels of stimulation on modern collars for situations that are not "life and death"?

I can't imagine you using one and not using it on high levels at times for normal training.

You mention Simon - I've spoken to shelter people who have had dogs trained with electric collars and the dogs are worse (this is in US and in the UK) and it's taken months of reward based training (don't split hairs please here, you know what i mean!) to get them right again.

You will deny this or say that the collars werent being used correctly - my point is that the very fact that collars are out there means that puppies are being housetrained with them, dogs are being punished for things they don't understand, and people who are not good at training are attempting to use them. so yes, some dogs are in shelters who have had problems made worse by use of the collars, it is a fact. Happens.

It's true that many dogs are abused with the collars - they are the one tool more than any toher open to severe abuse. Abuse is easy with an electric collar, it's harder with a boot or a stick. That takes aim and effort and the owner may get bitten.

As for recall off with manwork etc I've seen articles written which say precisely what I've said, maybe you are not the only expert on these tools! Of course the dogs run back to avoid punishment, I've seen the dogs on video go into the ring and have low tail carriage and stressed features, they perk up during the manwork due to adrenalin and towards the end are happier. But some of them going in are far from happpy.

At the end of the day, plenty of dogs are being abused with the collars. You may not like to admit it, and sa "all tools can be misused, they are not using it correctly" but that's not the point..if the collars are available dogs will suffer. Period.

RE the gundogs, I'm not talking about competition, I'm talking about being out on a shoot (I guess they call it) and yes it does happen.

I get the impression you know a lot of this (eg the gundog problem) but that you just don't care to admit it happens.

Finally, most pet owners love to train their dogs - of course there are problems, but working through them can be enjoyable and fulfilling. We don't expect to have children without problems, and dogs are no different. Same with friends, family.

We none of us are service dog handlers, some of us are more experienced trainers than others, but the idea of using a low level stimulation to make a dog sit when it works out how to turn it off is still horrendous. I've seen manufacturers videos and the dogs are confused and unhappy when subjected to this.

Advanced trainers in this country can get excellent obedience without these collars, in agility, field and working trials and obedience. If we can do it, why bother with a collar that is open to abuse?

I reckon they will be banned - some countries have already banned them. They have been bannned for a reason. Hoooray!!

As for the police you train - is this via email or what? I suggest you put your money where your mouth is and tell us more. There are records of when the last electric collar was used in the UK in the police force, and prison services. Perhaps those records are not now correct. I think you are just saying that for effect, however if it is true then you will need to convince.

It may take time but the UK will get there. Electric collars will be banned, and when they are I for one will celebrate
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 09:16 AM
There's lots I'd like to reply to in all the above quote but honestly don't have the time.

I also can't do the correct quote things so it would be too confusing.

Needless to say I stand by everything I've said. You may disagree but that doesn't make you right.

However just 2 minor things:

Somewhere you mention that I haven't seen any dogs trained by you or Clod. How do you know that? As you don't know me, you can't make that statement!

Secondly and lastly, re the use of the collar in food refusal training, in the article it says:

"This is a common use of the training collar" and goes on to state "aversion training with a twist" I did read it correctly but to me that indicates the collar is used often for this, not sure what you were meaning otherwise so not sure why you mentioned it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Two very patient men here, given the critisising they are having thrown at them!

As a matter of interest, knowing that the misuse of choke chains, collars and harnesses have all caused the deaths of dogs, have there been any recorded deaths due to the misuse of an Ecollar?
dawn
Closed Thread
Page 19 of 30 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »