View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I don`t have experience with AMBs specifically, but with Bull breeds `generally` yes, with human aggressive individual dogs of Bull breeds, yes, some, and with severe human fear aggressive dogs of other breeds - yes, a great deal.
Would I have taken him on if I had the space to save his life from idiot owners and ego-laden `trainers` ?
Absolutely yes, and would cram like crazy on info from experienced people in the breed so that I could offer him the help he needed, [ heck I do that for any breed I`m not savvy on coming to do agility with me let alone for a dog in dire need of help ].
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
AHEM,,,ok I have not had much hands on with AMB's but have delt with a few,,,,either x bread dogs or badly bread ams, but have lots of experiance in the bull breeds generaly, xxx
Yes I understand that, but its like saying I have experience with Rott crosses, which I have, but it wouldnt be like owning, nor handling a pedigree Rott if I had never done so. The temperament and character would most certainly differ from a pedigree one.

Im told that DB do offer support after the show and are very very good with the dogs and the owners, what you see is NOT the full story, the BBC edit to please themselves and show what is considered to increase ratings. Im also told that at least 7 days filming and training is done, both in the owners home and at the camp. This is from someone who's dog was featured on the show.
Dawn.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I understand that, but its like saying I have experience with Rott crosses, which I have, but it wouldnt be like owning, nor handling a pedigree Rott if I had never done so. The temperament and character would most certainly differ from a pedigree one.

Im told that DB do offer support after the show and are very very good with the dogs and the owners, what you see is NOT the full story, the BBC edit to please themselves and show what is considered to increase ratings. Im also told that at least 7 days filming and training is done, both in the owners home and at the camp. This is from someone who's dog was featured on the show.
Dawn.
I have to say,,,many rott crossed have the same personality as pedigrees, also many bull breeds have similar behaviour,,,,
If we all took the stance of I wont touch it as I have never delt with the breed before we would have a lot of dogs out there in need of help and unable to find it, I feel having delt with several bull breeds, also many other large breeds with issues I wouldnt have let the breed title stand in my way for long,{when dealing with problems Dogs are dogs You know them or you dont, } breed traits come into it but the foundation of training is similar no matter what the breed,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I have to say,,,many rott crossed have the same personality as pedigrees, also many bull breeds have similar behaviour,,,,
If we all took the stance of I wont touch it as I have never delt with the breed before we would have a lot of dogs out there in need of help and unable to find it, I feel having delt with several bull breeds, also many other large breeds with issues I wouldnt have let the breed title stand in my way for long,{when dealing with problems Dogs are dogs You know them or you dont, } breed traits come into it but the foundation of training is similar no matter what the breed,
Mmm not sure what you are getting at? No breed gets in my way either, Im saying that a cross breed will often have temperament characteristics of each breed it is crossed with. Meaning that often say a Lab/Dobe cross will not be as inclined to guard than a pedigree Dobe would.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Too many pages of posts here to read them all (esp with my slow connection grrr!) but just wanted to say that if all options had been considered for this particular dog (off air ... as they certainly didn't show it on air) then fair enough that the dog was pts. However, from the footage that was shown, I don't feel that Wilson was a dangerous dog. He was most definitely in the wrong hands and the wrong home, but he just looked damned scared to me.
Page 18 of 18 « First < 8 15 16 17 18