Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I believe in the dogs right to `choose`. When a litter of puppies chew off their own tails and drop them at my feet to put in the bin because they dont want them I`ll support their decision
Classic Well said :smt002
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:15 PM
You know there are a lot worse things being done in our country. Never mind puppies being docked,if our government were minding their own business doing what they do best. (sfa) May be we would be living in a better place not just for us but society in general.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I doubt very much that the KC would lose money. People go in and out of breeds all the time, and there could be a new generation of breeders who were just waiting for the playing field to be levelled so they could show the breed they want undocked without worrying that docked ones would be put above them.
Becky

A very good point Becky.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
You know there are a lot worse things being done in our country. Never mind puppies being docked,if our government were minding their own business doing what they do best. (sfa) May be we would be living in a better place not just for us but society in general.
There are worse things going on you are very right, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't act on things that we perceive to be cruel.
There are worse things going on than antisocial behaviour, does that mean the police shouldn't crack down on it?
To say there are worse things going on, sorry, don't see the relevance??? I'm sure the pups don't either.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Humans may have given themselves the `right` to choose how to alter the physical construction of a dog but thats a right borne only of human arrogance and ego as a species. Giving humans opposable thumbs was a big evolutionary mistake by `ol Mother Nature :smt021

I believe in the dogs right to `choose`. When a litter of puppies chew off their own tails and drop them at my feet to put in the bin because they dont want them I`ll support their decision

I thought NM said she would stop Show`ing at any KC events through the mistaken belief that the KC are refusing to allow docked dogs to be Shown at paying public events when its actually the law which they must [ rightly ] comply with ? If she said she would stop breeding I missed it.

Not really :smt102
There are more than enough breeders with the needed knowledge to go around who will carry on because they love their prefered breeds for their characters without a few who might drop out because they put whats missing as more important than the rest of the dog - and less dogs in rescues [ more people might go to Breed rescues ], if there is a lower numeric supply of puppies if less are breeding because of the ban, so thats not a bad thing at all.

Anyone putting the missing bit as their main priority isnt suited to having dogs imo, [ might sound harsh to some but thats the way I see it ].

I did have a Dobe btw, a girl I rescued from a beating in the street.
She was docked.
I did not, however, consider the fact that she only had a stump to be a reason to leave her to her fate, she was in trouble and needed help so I helped her, nor did I love her any less because she had a bit missing.
If someone as staunchly anti-docking as I am can absolutely dote on a dog which had been docked regardless of that aspect, why can`t pro-dockers feel the same love for their potential future dogs with tails ?

I dont understand the thinking that one issue is greater than another. Every aspect of animal care / breeding / whatever, carries equal importance as far as I`m concerned.
I genuinely dont understand why people say or infer that because one thing is allowed when it should`nt be that something else should be allowed because its a lesser thing in some peoples eyes [ pro-dockers in this instance ].

I assume you disagree with puppy farming and want it stopped ?
Puppy farmers would argue that its their `right` to choose to breed left right and centre....
Should they have that right in your opinion...?

yep i totally disagree with puppy farmers,and as do most if not all people on here,but as you say its there right to choose to be one,
yes they should have the right to be what they want to be,and it doesnt stop us not understanding there right to bea puppy farmer in there opinion,i suppose there argument is i have to make money,i have to feedmy familiy.in our opinion we do understand it from the dogs point of view.

also in imo if all breeders of docked breeds gave up breeding there chosen breed,in xmany years the gene pool will be alot smaller,for those breeds,im all for docking in my choosen breed,and i dont feel the need to justify my opinion,boxers dont look like boxers with a tail,they suffer tail damage,like alot of other breeds do,once again the animal rights protesters have won,im all against cruelty against animals and dont believe docking to be cruel if done correctly and mother nature didnt write the breed standards book humans did only to back down when the going got tough,
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
mother nature didnt write the breed standards book humans did only to back down when the going got tough,

Mother nature did give dogs tails as `standard` loooong before humans started lopping them off
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:50 PM
also in imo if all breeders of docked breeds gave up breeding there chosen breed,in xmany years the gene pool will be alot smaller,for those breeds
It's been shown in other countries that have banned ocking, that whilst there may be an initial decline in breeders of traditionally docked breeds, it does soon sort itself out.
im all for docking in my choosen breed,and i dont feel the need to justify my opinion,boxers dont look like boxers with a tail,they suffer tail damage,like alot of other breeds do,
But boxers are now docked purely for cosmetic reasons aren't they?
Any dog can suffer tail damage, any dog can suffer an eye injury, any dog can suffer damage to their claws/pads/leg...doesn't mean we should chop them all off though.
once again the animal rights protesters have won,im all against cruelty against animals and dont believe docking to be cruel if done correctly
So what does constitute cruelty then?
Docking causes pain to the pups, there is no pain relief given, the majority of docked pups are docked purely because some humans think they look better without tails? How, out of interest, is that not cruel? Sorry to be so blunt, but I just don't see how it isn't cruel?
I think that you'll find that the vast majority, if not ALL MP's are not animal rights protesters, each side was able to express their opinion before any legislation was passed. The MPs made the decision (and were VERY close ot a total ban in England and Wales...one day...)

and mother nature didnt write the breed standards book humans did only to back down when the going got tough,
[/QUOTE]

No she didn't. She had far more sense, she gave dogs a Beautiful part of their body, which enables them to communicate with other dogs and helps in balance and countless other things. She's a wise thing mother nature and as a world we need to start paying a lot more attention to her.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:06 PM
i totally understand everyone argument in tail docking,the fors and all the againsts,maybe us pro dockers will come around in years to come,im not so stupid to know the goverment will revirse there discison,i know they wont,yes mother nature is a wonderfull thing ,she gave us animals and without them we wouldnt be sitting here debating docking,when i first started breeding boxers i hated docking,i saw they many ways of docking and the ways of doing the docking preformed now,and got used to it i suppose but i will give up boxers when the ruling comes to ireland,imo i prefer them with no tail,iv mopped up the blood from a bitch with a tail because the pups kept chewing on her tail,iv mopped up the blood when play fighting she got it munched on,but iv come to believe they are boxers with no tails and look xbred imo with a tail,however iv always liked the english bull and northern ins and when the kids grow up and leave home i will have other breeds aswell,my oh wouldnt stand for me having them now
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm pro docking. There has been many a thread on this issue where I have made my feelings known. I am disappointed with the outcome, but I will continue to have weimies. I love them for so much more than their lack of tail!

I feel it is unfair that I will never be able to show and work my dog. I feel bad for the people who choose to do so and keep their working dogs' tail, and I would be interested to see how much the result of severe tail injuries increases in working dogs after this.

The new law makes 'show dogs' even more superficial. Already many dogs bred for show cannot perform the original jobs in which they were bred for, and differ sufficiently from their working counterparts. I can only see this problem getting worse as the law will only deepen the divide of show/worked dogs, and the differences between them will increase tenfold. I was always happy that in my breed the working dogs and show dogs have no major difference, infact most top show dogs in weimies are also working dogs.

I feel that as such breeds are not bred for tails, the best of standard dogs we have now may carry genes for absolute rubbish tails, and I think it will be some years before we have the quality standard and health of dogs that we have now, WITH good tails also. People could start putting in rotties with bad hips for e.g., if it has a 'good' tail. This concerns me about the future health of many breeds in the process of breeding for good tails.

Many breeds have NEVER had tails, and the breed created with the intentions of docking, so how do you change that fairly and 'decide' what kind of tail the dog 'should' have, when it has never had one?

I personally am for the banding method, I have never ever seen a pup hurt by the banding method, they are totally oblivious. Imho there are so many more problems with dogs the government should be concerning themselves with, but cannot be bothered with too much hard work and money (e.g. banning puppy farmers, introducing and policing dog licences), this is just a quick fix that makes them favourable to the anti docking folks, which unfortunately are in the majority.

As for dew claws, my own dog has ripped his badly a few times, and he doesn't even work!

And Dachshunds.....don't get me started....
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
yep i totally disagree with puppy farmers,and as do most if not all people on here,but as you say its there right to choose to be one,
yes they should have the right to be what they want to be,and it doesnt stop us not understanding there right to bea puppy farmer in there opinion,i suppose there argument is i have to make money,i have to feedmy familiy.in our opinion we do understand it from the dogs point of view.

also in imo if all breeders of docked breeds gave up breeding there chosen breed,in xmany years the gene pool will be alot smaller,for those breeds,im all for docking in my choosen breed,and i dont feel the need to justify my opinion,boxers dont look like boxers with a tail,they suffer tail damage,like alot of other breeds do,once again the animal rights protesters have won,im all against cruelty against animals and dont believe docking to be cruel if done correctly and mother nature didnt write the breed standards book humans did only to back down when the going got tough,
Well said cheers for the support,i too aint afraid to say i think they look better docked.I also would object to anyone saying i was cruel to dogs, as docking should be left to the experts.Also i agree it was the human race who messed about with the breeds look at all these crazy x breeds its only a matter of time before something goes wrong if not already but you dont get the kc or the government threatening bans on them. Imagine a wee dachund mated with a mastiff giving birth.I know this is a bit extreme,however they have the right to do this,but i dont have the right to dock if i wish to do so.
Page 18 of 30 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »