Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As for temperament, I often wonder how many working line dogs of particular breeds some people have actually MET?
Not to add to any controversy, but, from the working bred dogs I've met (and I've met quite a few), they do seem to have an 'off' switch where it is often lacking in show bred lines.

That is, of course, a generalisation based on the dogs I've met and not a definitive statement.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Having been on the receiving end of working line bred dogs and worked with a rescue organisation there is no way I would not question the ethics of the breeder.

Etta's litter was bred and illegally docked in order to pay for the son of the farming family to go abroad. Before anyone asks---I did report them to defra. Not because I want revenge----I just don't want them to breed again and find it so easy and so lucrative. Ben was bred and sold to the wrong people---the breeder said he would rather the dogs were either trialled and worked propery or in front of a fire being pet dogs. He didn't want them knocked about on a farm with people who had no idea how to treat them. That makes sense but fell down a bit in Ben's case----be interesting to see how his baby sister gets on as a pet. Polly was farm bred and went blind---PRA I would imagine. Netsa (collie) also trial bred went blind early, Saffy was ISDS and passed on a few times before she landed her.

So don't tell me I don't know about 'working' bred dogs or their problems or how irresponsible their breeders can be.

Two wrongs don't make a right!

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 11:53 AM
There are irresponsible breeders in ALL areas. It is not a case of Show/Pet v Working at all.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I
I know many people think you can't achieve type, temperament and health but it can and is done by many top kennels in the UK.
Yes and it has been done by many workingline breeders as well.

My current two dogs reflect this.

Brains, Beauty and Temperament; perfect!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Well as in most topics this has gone full circle.

Yes it is possible to breed for brains, beauty, temperament and health.

Good breeders are doing their best to achieve this and are successful most of the time and take the aoppropriate action on the few occassions Nature throws you a googly.

That is good breeder wether they are breeding for show or working.

The RSPCA's campaign seems to think that the only bad breeders are those that are breeding for the show ring.

And all the while the puppy farmers are rubbing their hands with glee.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Superb post
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2011, 12:45 PM
There are irresponsible breeders in ALL areas. It is not a case of Show/Pet v Working at all.
...but it is ONLY show breeders who are targeted as being 'bad' in this campaign ...that's my point - where's the balance here ? - it sems that simply to mention that their dogs 'work' Teflon coats the breeder from any criticism !!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yet its always the "show" breeder that gets it in the neck!!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yet its always the "show" breeder that gets it in the neck!!
This is one of the main reasons I believe politics is the reason behind the campaign.
Not the genuine concern for the health and welfer of dogs.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Owners of fashionable pedigree pooches are unaware their "handbag dogs" could be "born to suffer", the RSPCA has said.

Research by the animal charity revealed many people believe pedigree dogs and puppies are healthy, quality animals that come from good breeding stock.

However, the dogs, which are primarily bred for their looks, are vulnerable to unnecessary disease, disability, pain or behavioural problems.

RSPCA senior scientist Claire Calder said: "Everyone needs to be aware of the serious health and welfare problems affecting pedigree dogs and that dogs bred for looks are born to suffer.

"A cute-looking puppy or dog can be hard to resist, but the result of not looking beyond this can be thousands of pounds spent on vets' bills and a pet with long-lasting health and welfare problems. This is one of the biggest challenges facing dog welfare in the UK today."

A survey commissioned by the charity found dog buyers are not doing enough research before getting a new pet.

Pollsters asked 2,127 people what they associate with pure-breed or pedigree dogs. The top six responses were that they are expensive, well bred, from good breeding stock, quality, responsibly bred and healthy

Victoria Stilwell, presenter and dog trainer from the TV show It's Me Or The Dog, said: "I have nothing against dog showing and nothing against responsible breeders.

"But what I do have something against is breeding animals just for the way we want them to look, even though that animal is compromised both physically and, a lot of the time, mentally. So we have to change. Why are we destroying these animals just because we like the way they look?"

The RSPCA is launching a campaign, Bred For Looks, Born To Suffer, in order to raise awareness of the issue.
I didn't read anything about Show breeders or pedigree dogs in general just a "people should check out where their dog comes from more" & "some Fashionable breeds, bred for a certain look, achieve it at the expense of health." Bit late, but hard to disagree with. Puppy farm dogs aren't the healthyiest and some dogs have suffered from human interference.

Meet a french bulldog puppy that would be better off if he didn't "lead with his eyes" & had more of a nose. He's still young, Maybe he'll grow into his eyes and his nose will grow a bit though.

Aunt's Datchs would be better off if his back was shorter & his legs a bit longer (or chest less deep) there's the whole fashionable wrinkles thing etc.

People are strange.
Page 18 of 28 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »