Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And mine!

Breeding dogs with obvious deformities to work, is rather counter produtive,

Did you miss my question , on where you get your breed standard from fo the SS!
No I didn't miss your point---but you missed mine which Dawn didn't, For goodness sake stop wittering and go back and READ what I wrote.

Obviously you feel that breeding dogs with deformities is OK if they are just supposed to be lap dogs. I don't.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
No I didn't miss your point---but you missed mine which Dawn didn't, For goodness sake stop wittering and go back and READ what I wrote.

Obviously you feel that breeding dogs with deformities is OK if they are just supposed to be lap dogs. I don't.

rune
Neither do I, were did I say that,

So you agree, a springer with deformed legs in not a good thing.

p.s........ will stop wittering now, and go and read where you found that the KC standard says its OK to have bowed legs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I think ANY dog with ANY kind of real deformity is a bad thing. As I would hope EVERYBODY does. No excuses that it is OK because they are not expected to do much---thats appalling! One of the things they are expected to do is give birth and they often can't do that.

I question what that deformity may or may not lead to and I would like proof that the legs cause arthritis or similar MORE than the straight legs on dogs expected to do the same amount of work do.

To go round in a circle---my experience has been that it is the hard running/jumping/general living which causes the arthritis and it happens whatever the shape of the body. Some dogs which look as if they ought to be riddled with it (my little crossbreed in the picture as an example) are free and some who look well put together suffer badly.

Human athletes often end up with it.

So two different issues----I don't like any bred in deformity BUT I'd also like PROOF that it is an issue. There doesn't seem to be any except anecdotal---and my anecdotal 'evidence' points to the lifestyle being a cause of the arthritis.

rune
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I think ANY dog with ANY kind of real deformity is a bad thing. As I would hope EVERYBODY does. No excuses that it is OK because they are not expected to do much---thats appalling! One of the things they are expected to do is give birth and they often can't do that.

I question what that deformity may or may not lead to and I would like proof that the legs cause arthritis or similar MORE than the straight legs on dogs expected to do the same amount of work do.

To go round in a circle---my experience has been that it is the hard running/jumping/general living which causes the arthritis and it happens whatever the shape of the body. Some dogs which look as if they ought to be riddled with it (my little crossbreed in the picture as an example) are free and some who look well put together suffer badly.

Human athletes often end up with it.

So two different issues----I don't like any bred in deformity BUT I'd also like PROOF that it is an issue. There doesn't seem to be any except anecdotal---and my anecdotal 'evidence' points to the lifestyle being a cause of the arthritis.

rune
just out of interest, how many dog breeds cant give birth naturally, i know some bulldogs cant, and some chihuahuas.. but what others?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I's a shame you only know of one, I'm sure if you knew more people you'd hear differing opinions. Like I've said on another thread, just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I have never seen it -which is why I asked my friend who breeds and shows - as her knowledge is likely to be much more extensive than mine. I found it interesting that her initial response about show Springers working was a laugh with - 'they don't!' then she told me about the kennels she knew - but he did say they used to - so as I said - probably the same people you mentioned.
But you are right.... because You don;t see it - does not mean it does not happen.....btw - does that go for the showing people, or do you say that about the working people as well, while mentioned how bad they are?

This I agree with. My Nana had a Poodle (not sure which type, the middle type I think?) who lived til he was about 16. One of his many feats included leaping out of an old castle window - 40ft up!

He survived without injury and lived for several years after without any problems.
I guess I think of 16 as fairly normal. I have not yet lost a dog before that age.....
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Found this while I was checking which breeds need help----apparently Scotties, Pugs, Pekes and several others.

This leads on from that and is taken from an Australian report in 1999 (they were well ahead of us!)

It won't allow me to copy but makes interesting reading

http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/rese...ogbreeding.pdf

rune
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:23 PM
----apparently Scotties, Pugs, Pekes and several others.
Some of the several others can give birth naturally, but are known as prone to whelping problems. Some I know are Boston Terrier, Japanese Chin, Yorkshire Terrier, French Bulldog, Chihuahua, Pomeranian . . . many of the smaller guys.

Ruby
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Some of the several others can give birth naturally, but are known as prone to whelping problems. Some I know are Boston Terrier, Japanese Chin, Yorkshire Terrier, French Bulldog, Chihuahua, Pomeranian . . . many of the smaller guys.

Ruby
What are the "problems" though? Borders are notorious for having interia when there is just one or two pups, thats not a "deformity" or any physical defect. That would also be a possible cause for many small breeds who only have one or two pups as a normal litter. Not so much with bigger dogs as they tend to have bigger litters. (generally speaking) Livvy's grandma had intertia with only one pup. Livvy's mom had 8 not a bit of trouble.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What are the "problems" though? Borders are notorious for having interia when there is just one or two pups, thats not a "deformity" or any physical defect. That would also be a possible cause for many small breeds who only have one or two pups as a normal litter. Not so much with bigger dogs as they tend to have bigger litters. (generally speaking) Livvy's grandma had intertia with only one pup. Livvy's mom had 8 not a bit of trouble.
I believe much of it in the smallest breeds does have to do with inertia, and much of that is caused by small litter sizes, although anecdotally I understand inertia difficulties and difficulty in whelping can run in lines. In English Toy Spaniels (King Charles in the UK) and Boston Terriers the head size is often cited as the difficulty.

In regards to small litter sizes and focusing on inertia, however, keep in mind that some of the smaller dogs - JRTs for example - have higher litter number averages than breeds of similar sizes probably due to selection that took just that into consideration.

Discussion about inertia and whelping difficulties on a genetics list I am on pointed out that selection for good whelpers at the beginnings of a breed, and then on through, would make a difference, just as neglecting to track lines and weed out pups from lines/bitches that had difficulty whelping where reasons were not so obvious as a singleton pup.

Ruby
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
I'm trying to get some perspective here, as my interest has been in breeds that don't have a working counterpart.

I don't get this above statement.

I've seen many, many pedigrees with much tighter linebreeding than those working pedigrees linked, and even inbreeding (parent/offspring, full sibling, half sibling) in show kennels of a few different breeds, and there is no burning at the stake.

I was just last night reading a Tibetan Spaniel brag thread complete with congratulations by posters on the new championship status of a bitch (AKC) - the product of a father/daughter pairing.

Is it just in E.S.S. show kennels then that this is poopood?

Quite agree that each breeder should be scrutinized by their own practices, not by which 'faction' they belong to.

Ruby
Watch the PDE programme and have a look through some of the show threads on here and you'll get what I mean.

Show breeders were burned at the stake on PDE for line breeding and creating hereditary health problems, yet there was no mention of the working breeders who do worse by line breeding and more often than not NOT health testing!

I'm not totally against line breeding btw, it does have it's place, but too often people use it as a short cut and there is no short cut to experience imo.
Page 18 of 30 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »