Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Getting lost in pages of the same old stuff

Adam, I would like to discuss this scientifically with you, taking away the emotion of 'shocks are bad' which is of course what i belieive

You say the dog is rewarding to the collar as Negative Reinforcment

- negative - taking away - reinforcment - something that makes the behaviour more likely to happen

The taking away the 'stim' is a sufficiently large reward that the dog enjoys the returning to you?

You have to 1st apply the 'stim' and the application of this stim IS positive punishment
What are you punishing at this point? I assume you apply the stim BEFORE the cue to return is given? So the dog can turn off the stim by obaying the cue?
Therefore the punishment is applied (from the dogs pont of view) randomly, it is not doing any behaviour that you are trying to stop, therefore that would be very confusing to the dog
Therefore as you are not supressing a behaviour with the punishment then it is not (scientifically speaking) punishment (as punishment is something that reduces a behaviour) therefore the 'stim' in the first place can only be classed as abuse

The degree of the 'reward' the dog would feel would be related to the degree of the 'discomfort' felt by the 'stim'
the bigger the discomfort the bigger the relief the bigger (and more motivating) the reward
If it didnt hurt it wouldnt work
..and there you have it, said may times and avoided by those who choose not to acknowledge a truth.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
post 153 continued..

Michael there are photographs in another thread showing a dog with an e collar around its middle. When I enquired why this was done 'someone' indicated it was to teach the dog to sit.
Now it may be the case that a very low level of shock is all that is required to get the dog to sit because it is in a relaxed state with little external stimulation, but why would anyone want to use an e collar to teach a dog a simple thing like to sit. Sledgehammers and nuts come to mind.
I genuinely don't know why anyone would use an e-collar to teach a sit, I can't begin to imagine. I have written previously my own preference to teach a sit (para 5).

post 153 continued..

So lets look at training something more difficult , a recall with an e collar.
My current dog has a very high prey drive and loves to chase anything which moves. Even so she has a pretty good recall but I wouldn't trust her 100% so I use a little common sense and 'manage' her traits.

She is let off lead in the fields every day and I allow her to chase the crows and rabbits never calling her when I think there is a chance she won't obey. I never let her off where there is stock. The result is a happy little dog who does no harm to anyone but is allowed to use a behaviour for which her breed was originally bred.
I've got 2 that are rarely on lead (unless by a road), can be called off a chase in full flight. The third I'd lose if he sets off.

Similarly, he gets off in safe areas, gets to have a little chase etc I treat him pretty much as you describe (had a bit of an "oh ******" incident before xmas, but now he's onlead between the car and front door too).

post 153 continued..

I could of course put an e collar on her but I know that like any athlete under the influence of adrenaline fuelled excitement I would need to give her a pretty hefty shock to have any effect on her at all. So at the least the shock isn't strong enough so pointless and at the worst I cause my dog pain. Do I really want to cause my little dog pain in order to force her to comply with my wishes.
I know for a fact that Locky can "go" through severe pain - he was howling in agony on the floor (when he first came, hadn't yet had his loose ligaments/arthritis diagnosed) when the door bell went - up he got and shot off to the door. So in full flight, I doubt a collar would stop him.

post 153 continued..
What I have now is a happy little dog and I see the full measure of her personality which has never in any way been suppressed with force or fear.

This is just one of many of the reasons I would never use an e collar, I am sure those who advocate their use are aware of all other reasons which have been voiced not just on this forum but many others and resulted in the Welsh Assembly having the good sense to ban them.
I like to think Locky is as happy as he can be. He's safe here, on medication for his ailments, and we both love him dearly.

You must be wondering why I'm not vehemently against e-collars after the above? I'll come back to it tomorrow - it's getting late, and a cuddle with my boy beckons.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-01-2011, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Btw can I ask all antis how much e collar training they have seen?
I've seen enough videos, read enough facts about them to make an informed judgement. But...
  • I don't need to see someone get stabbed in the face to know it must hurt.
  • I don't need to see someone get run-over by a car to know it must hurt.
  • I don't need to see someone hammer a nail into their thumb to know it must hurt.
  • I don't need to see a dog given an electric shock to know it must hurt.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Personally I think those using them are using it on the wrong thing
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Didnt see vid, for some reason couldnt get access

I find it very sad that a trainer/any trainer has to resort to the likes of e-collars, Prong or Pinch collars to acheive results from a dog

I wonder just how many of these "traumatised" dogs there are. Left in the hands of owners who forget their "training" & go overboard merrily zapping away. How many troubled dogs have ended up in rescue because of this type of training.

Last week i was contacted by someone who was concerned about a dog whose owners had bought an e-collar to "stop the dog barking in the garden. They were able to just 'buy' this device Online & start zapping away. It was known they wouldnt give this "instant cure" up easily - ironically the dog was able to work out when the collar was on he got hurt when barking in the garden, when it was off, he could bark - how is that training?????

The caller was advised/redirected to the site where they sold citeronella (sp) spray collars & they were so concerned they paid for & ordered the spray collar themselves. The dog owners had no interest other than a "quick" fix

Prong/Pinch collars are not much better.
There should be a total ban on all 3.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Perhaps we are being forewarned that a certain type of trainer may go underground if such became law, and continue to use them.

set him up, send a stooge in, be easy enough. i know tons of people from that area who would oblige
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer
Actually the first (sometimes only) behaviour I teach via the collar is move towards/follow me.
So the dog learns that being near the owner is comfortable, my definition of a dog feeling like it trusts someone (from working with fearful dogs) is that the dog feels ok about being near the person.
So straight off I generate trust
Adam

I am sorry to have to tell you this Adam... but it`s not trust.
A abused child clings to the abuser... terrified of more abuse.
An abused woman returns to the abuser... because she is powerless
An abused dog fawns on the abuser..
it`s called appeasement, Adam. Not trust.
You hurt dogs for a living.
Why try to justify it to us?
Just stop.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer
Actually the first (sometimes only) behaviour I teach via the collar is move towards/follow me.
So the dog learns that being near the owner is comfortable, my definition of a dog feeling like it trusts someone (from working with fearful dogs) is that the dog feels ok about being near the person.
So straight off I generate trust
Adam

I am sorry to have to tell you this Adam... but it`s not trust.
A abused child clings to the abuser... terrified of more abuse.
An abused woman returns to the abuser... because she is powerless
An abused dog fawns on the abuser..
it`s called appeasement, Adam. Not trust.
You hurt dogs for a living.
Why try to justify it to us?
Just stop.
Great post - I'd love to see a response to this Adam.

As with this:
Originally posted by Azz:

I've seen enough videos, read enough facts about them to make an informed judgement. But...
I don't need to see someone get stabbed in the face to know it must hurt.
I don't need to see someone get run-over by a car to know it must hurt.
I don't need to see someone hammer a nail into their thumb to know it must hurt.
I don't need to see a dog given an electric shock to know it must hurt.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2011, 10:20 AM
hello my friends

dont do it

you are talking to yourselves

its a new year, dont get bogged down in the same old rut.

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
hello my friends

dont do it

you are talking to yourselves

its a new year, dont get bogged down in the same old rut.

KW it may be a new year but sadly some people have bought there old ways into the new year with them and some of us are not prepared to sit back and remain silent even if it means talking to ourselves. You for one are clearly listening or you wouldn't be posting in the thread
Closed Thread
Page 18 of 206 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 68 118 > Last »