Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Not all people in council housing are sitting there popping out sprogs for a full time job, cheating the benefits system etc.
Don't be daft of course we are and those of us who have in the past been homeless were all drug addled drinkers too.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Oh dear lord, Kicks wrote that, not me, quote the right person! I simply stated I agreed with her.
That quote didnt have your name on it but as you said that is what you agreed with
I'm sorry where do you get your current affairs knowledge, The Sun?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I can't be bothered with this anymore I'm sorry I have to say your replies have been incredibly rude and I hope that you learn to conduct yourself with more grace for future debates.
Such as disagree with cuts being made whilst we send out a raised amount of millions to other countries? people being able to live in a council house longterm?.....sorry but my opinion is based on facts and experience so wont be changing and please refrain from posting untruths about me saying I dont think people deserve help in future, I posted more than once that that is not what people were saying.....when we were trying to explain facts to you that you clearly didnt have. For some reason you fail to see that this thread is mainly discussing why should we send so much over when our own country is to suffer at the detriment, not about stopping helping those countries.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
Don't be daft of course we are and those of us who have in the past been homeless were all drug addled drinkers too.
DUH!!! silly me, but thats ok cause the NHS will help with that lol spose you will be one of the ones driving a BMW too then - soley funded by the benfits you cheated the system of just remember you shouldnt be allowed to stay in your home longterm either cos you may be paying a lesser rent cost & to the government, you know, you dont want to be putting your rent money back into the system when you could be paying higher rent to a private landlord (according to some)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
DUH!!! silly me, but thats ok cause the NHS will help with that lol spose you will be one of the ones driving a BMW too then - soley funded by the benfits you cheated the system of just remember you shouldnt be allowed to stay in your home longterm either cos you may be paying a lesser rent cost & to the government, you know, you dont want to be putting your rent money back into the system when you could be paying higher rent to a private landlord (according to some)
Yep I was thinking of that as I started work at 4am this morning - btw I drive a CRV over ten years old less than a £1000 second hand, work 9 - 12 hours a day (husband does 15) no children no benefits minimum wage, we got our council home after living in a car for 6 months just over 20 years ago we were lucky we got a break - many these days will not be getting those breaks especially of they are mentally ill.

I think some people in this thread have no idea what they are talking about TBH. I have no problems with people having different opinions but spouting about things they have no idea about really is quite offensive.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
Yep I was thinking of that as I started work at 4am this morning - btw I drive a CRV over ten years old less than a £1000 second hand, work 9 - 12 hours a day (husband does 15) no children no benefits minimum wage, we got our council home after living in a car for 6 months just over 20 years ago we were lucky we got a break - many these days will not be getting those breaks especially of they are mentally ill.

I think some people in this thread have no idea what they are talking about TBH. I have no problems with people having different opinions but spouting about things they have no idea about really is quite offensive.
Totally agree. But what would I know, I (apparently) get my knowledge from The Sun!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I am not sure about all but I think that what people who seem to be disagreeing with money going abroad are trying to get across is the money does not go to the causes that it is meant too. That is what annoys people is the rich get richer and the poor stay poor and when there are people suffering here too it is a hard pill to swallow I am not in the camp of thinking we should not help but I do agree if it isn't helping who it is meant for then it should help our homeless and families living in poverty. Living in a council house is not cheap you have to pay for most repairs etc., here you do anyway and you did in the town we lived in years ago too.

As for the NHS yes we are lucky but some people who have certain cancers are not able to get the drugs to help them it is a post code lottery you are fortunate if you live in an area that will fund the treatment or drugs others are not so fortunate in the area they live.

There are options sometimes for the homeless but some cannot bear to be put into a cramped box of a living space especially if they have mental health issues and rightly or wrongly leave that box they have been allocated and move back onto the streets. Some of these people have lost their homes through marriage break ups not their fault but find themselves in dire situations so need help too.

As for wars my dad always use to say a Government will moan it has no money when a war pops its ugly head up they will find millions.

In an ideal world we would all be living in comfort and there would be no famine no war no environmental disasters but we don't and I do feel we need to help other countries but also agree that it goes into the wrong pockets and that we have many poor families in this country too that get overlooked. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world and that is mostly down to greed.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Blimey been out working and come back to find the thread alive and kicking...
Too much to comment on but I still dont think we should send any money abroad.

Maybe we could keep some and build more council houses to replace all the ones Maggie sold off.

To anyone too young thats Maggie Thatcher who nearly brought this country to its knees and I i've lived through watching it all.

Do not comment on this if you were under 20 when she got in power or have studied it at length. If you were under 20 you wont have a clue what went on.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Blimey been out working and come back to find the thread alive and kicking...
Too much to comment on but I still dont think we should send any money abroad.

Maybe we could keep some and build more council houses to replace all the ones Maggie sold off.

To anyone too young thats Maggie Thatcher who nearly brought this country to its knees and I i've lived through watching it all.

Do not comment on this if you were under 20 when she got in power or have studied it at length. If you were under 20 you wont have a clue what went on.
Now me thinks that a topic for another thread.

I am old enough to remember Living through Maggie's time, and as far as I remember it was not Maggie that tried to bring the country to its knees, but the unions..

Maggie like her or hate her, stood up to a era of unions holding the country to ransom.

Being a child of parents who Maggie allowed to buy their home , I am very grateful.

For the first time in many people's lives, they were allowed to take a step onto the property market.

My parents did not do it to make a quick buck from a resale, my mother still lives in her home, the one we were brought up in, the one Maggie made it possible for them to buy.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Yes indeed she did make it possible to buy but she also stopped councils building new homes from the proceeds. So furture generartions missed out.

My parents to bought their house and still live in it.

It was not the selling I object to it was the freezing of the money to build more.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 05:21 PM
She also left a lot of areas in deprivation and poverty without any alternative work and helped cause the generation after generation of 'benefit trap' something which was considered to be used 'in an emergency' was now something to be lived off, which some mining villages are STILL trying to recover from and a lack of social housing overall for the countries needs.
Page 18 of 19 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 >